Toast Welcome to Hawthorn, Finn Maginness “absolute Hawthorn nuffie” and a Hawk to 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Love his ability to get his hands free and stand up in a tackle, gets his arms wrapped up and just flexes and muscles his arms free to get a handball out. I think he is choosing better options with his kicks too.

Love his ability to get his hands free and stand up in a tackle, gets his arms wrapped up and just flexes and muscles his arms free to get a handball out. I think he is choosing better options with his kicks too.
This is why he needs to attend centre bounce clearances when we are getting monstered out of the middle. He can go forward after that.

The improvement in him this season has been insane. Finn and Frost, two players I would never have said "I want the ball in their hands" a year ago.

The improvement in him this season has been insane. Finn and Frost, two players I would never have said "I want the ball in their hands" a year ago.

I'm on record as being a Frosty well before we all decided he turned good. For the same reason, I back Finn. They have big hearts and are utterly committed. And in this game (as in life) character counts more than talent. Someone who commits themselves totally to a goal is always a good bet, IMO.

I'm on record as being a Frosty well before we all decided he turned good. For the same reason, I back Finn. They have big hearts and are utterly committed. And in this game (as in life) character counts more than talent. Someone who commits themselves totally to a goal is always a good bet, IMO.
I have always loved having Frosty in the side. Beats his opponent regularly, loves a contest, goes when it's his turn, takes on the opposition, (remember that run against Adelaide - I think it was - where he was pinged for running too far? He actually bounced it and the umpire was a cretin, but would have been a solid fwd 50 entry from inside defensive 50. But only this year have I not held my breath when he's making decisions when disposing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Add Meek in there too, was more unfashionable than both of them.

But Finn starting to look like he's getting almost as comfortable at AFL level as he was in underage footy.

Massive win for our club, Frosty already had me convinced when he was fit, so no surprises there.

He's really good under the high ball as well.

Positions his body well and can out jump his opponent. Thought he should have clunked a mark against the Doggies but it spilled off his chest. He's much better overhead so I hope he learns from that.

Add Meek in there too, was more unfashionable than both of them.

But Finn starting to look like he's getting almost as comfortable at AFL level as he was in underage footy.

Massive win for our club, Frosty already had me convinced when he was fit, so no surprises there.
Sometimes hard to remember that he is still hasn't played 50 games yet, good signs that he is starting to feel comfortable and carve out a niche in the side.

Sometimes hard to remember that he is still hasn't played 50 games yet, good signs that he is starting to feel comfortable and carve out a niche in the side.

So true - they all take time, unless they're Cyril.

The great Luke Hodge was about the best case study of being patient in order to reap the benefits we've had this century. When the other picks below him were tearing it up, a lot of people thought the sky was falling.

Which makes it difficult to understand the pile on when your four game, small forward is missing more goals than he's kicking - despite pouring on defensive pressure at AFL level on top of getting off a large number of shots at goal.

Ditto with Finn. A pure tagger will always be limited. But Sam's got him stepping away from that already, and if he gets to that same level where he's a ball winning mid who can break away and kick goals, we're absolutely laughing. Really positive signs there inside of 50 games as you point out.

Getting his hands free was the key trait of his junior career based the weekly reports in his final underage year. Awesome to see it's back.

I'm going to say it now.

Finn Maginness will be a premiership player for us and play INXS of 175 games for our club (watch him be let go at the end of next year now that I've said this).

I think he has found his role in the side to be more than just a tagger. He's showing his versatility. I think he'll find a more permanent role as a forward (when he's not being required to play as a tagger), like we saw against the Gold Coast, but his versatility makes him a great asset. I would love to see Sam Mitchell start rotating him into centre bounces or around stoppages. If the world went as we expected, he should be our best midfielder and probably our best player right now. But it hasn't. However, you'd hope Sam trusts him to be played in the position we drafted him in.

Finn Maginness (31 disposals, six tackles, seven score involvements, five marks, four inside 50s)

“We started Finn on the wing this week and he was able to get up and down the ground which we know Finn can do and it was really pleasing. I think that's two weeks or three weeks in a row now where he’s got over 30 disposals or thereabouts. All of his stats are based on his work rate and his ability to get up and turn up. What I liked this week with Finn's game was his ability to use his hands in congestion and help us get out of congestion rather than just trying to use his feet. He found a real balance of that which was really pleasing and we're seeing some great improvement in his game.”

Finn with some magic goals today - this boy loves playing in the forward line. Get this lad back in the seniors!

I didn't have Finn kicking an Aker-like goal on my 2024 Hawks Bingo card.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Welcome to Hawthorn, Finn Maginness “absolute Hawthorn nuffie” and a Hawk to 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back