Toast Welcome to Hawthorn, Finn Maginness “absolute Hawthorn nuffie” and a Hawk to 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

In hindsight he could have tagged Stewart. Starting on him in the middle then drifting forward with him. Probably would have kicked a goal or two.
Agree with this.

He knows where the goals are, is a decent size and can run and present all day. Would really like to see him in this week.

Given Ginnivan's and Watson's ineffectiveness in front of goal and given Finn's tank and body that likely more than covers the role they have been playing, one could ask why he isn't in the team. It's a funny one but valid, I think. Just looking at things from a different perspective.

Given Ginnivan's and Watson's ineffectiveness in front of goal and given Finn's tank and body that likely more than covers the role they have been playing, one could ask why he isn't in the team. It's a funny one but valid, I think. Just looking at things from a different perspective.
Not that valid. Very different players. Ginnivan and Watson's vision and creativeness adds even more value than kicking the goals themselves. Finn continues to improve - and I can see him being a valuable piece on the board - but he's a very different player.

Agree with this.

He knows where the goals are, is a decent size and can run and present all day. Would really like to see him in this week.
We have a number of guys who can move around the flanks and wings etc. but not many (if any) really who can rotate on ball if we’re getting beaten around the contest (like Geelong did to us). Moore is a pinch hit only and Mackenzie still developing his size/strength. Finn can’t be far off.

Not that valid. Very different players. Ginnivan and Watson's vision and creativeness adds even more value than kicking the goals themselves. Finn continues to improve - and I can see him being a valuable piece on the board - but he's a very different player.

Fair comment but I'm not sure I agree with you. Ginnivan's and Watson's inability to kick goals is not a non-issue. IMO, it's a major issue. And Finn can do all the other stuff pretty well. I keep thinking about that game against the GCS where he played half forward, kicked a couple and was one of our few players that was strong at the contest.

Fair comment but I'm not sure I agree with you. Ginnivan's and Watson's inability to kick goals is not a non-issue. IMO, it's a major issue. And Finn can do all the other stuff pretty well. I keep thinking about that game against the GCS where he played half forward, kicked a couple and was one of our few players that was strong at the contest.
Ginnivan has kicked 17 goals and is our third highest goal kicker.

I think Finn could play that Ginnivan role if he isn't fit.

He certainly has the work rate.
definitely would be a productive, high work-rate half-forward.
Different in style to everybody else we have in those roles, but worth a try.
It could well become the key to unlocking a position for him in the team and eventually transitioning to a proper mid.

Tagging - he can do that, and it's not allowing him to progress as a footballer.
Perhaps a defensive forward role is the best option to balance his work-rate, defensive abilities, and scoreboard impact.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was surprised at Finns kicking in the VFL on the weekend. Still not 100% however he has improved out of sight. Seems to make better decisions and only execute kicks which he knows he can make
Jeez they have improved Worp's kicking and that's impressive. Brad Hill's kicking was the knock in his draft year and now he's a very good passer of the ball. Finn has worked his butt off at Box Hill and deserves some reward.

If you’re somehow trying suggest Finn would be a more prolific goal scorer than Ginnivan then I’ve read it all.
Complete opposite.

The Chad and I above said Finn has a nose for the goals as he kicked 4 goals and 4 points in 8 games.

I pointed out that 3 of those 4 came in one game.

So he kicked 1 goal in the remaining 7 games he has played.

He doesn't have a "nose for the goals".

Complete opposite.

The Chad and I above said Finn has a nose for the goals as he kicked 4 goals and 4 points in 8 games.

I pointed out that 3 of those 4 came in one game.

So he kicked 1 goal in the remaining 7 games he has played.

He doesn't have a "nose for the goals".

Not sure that is an apples for apples comparison given Finn didn't play a forward role in all those games. My recollection is that it was minimal. I'm also not convinced at this early stage that Ginnivan and Watson have that goal sense because players that have that instinctive ability always know exactly where the goals are and generally kick them. Luke Breust is a great example. He had it and we knew very early on that he was a goal kicker. Yet to see that from Ginnivan and Watson.

Not sure that is an apples for apples comparison given Finn didn't play a forward role in all those games. My recollection is that it was minimal. I'm also not convinced at this early stage that Ginnivan and Watson have that goal sense because players that have that instinctive ability always know exactly where the goals are and generally kick them. Luke Breust is a great example. He had it and we knew very early on that he was a goal kicker. Yet to see that from Ginnivan and Watson.
You know Ginnivan kicked 40 goals as a 19-year-old in 2022, yeah?

I agree.

The idea that we would replace (an injured) Ginnavin with Finn as a permanent forward as Finn has a “nose for goals” is what I didn’t agree with.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back