Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Jack Ginnivan!

Remove this Banner Ad

"We've spoken to Hawthorn and reiterated as we did in 2022 to all clubs that we don't want players to lead with their head. What I want to be really clear on is we don't have a different set of rules for a player; we don't have a different set of rules for a club or a team; we officiate our games all the same way within the rules."

John Candy Reaction GIF

"We've spoken to Hawthorn and reiterated as we did in 2022 to all clubs that we don't want players to lead with their head. What I want to be really clear on is we don't have a different set of rules for a player; we don't have a different set of rules for a club or a team; we officiate our games all the same way within the rules."

John Candy Reaction GIF

This in itself is just comical from the AFL

John Candy Reaction GIF

Afl really needs to have some better guardrails.

Millions of dollars are spent on sports gambling on AFL games every week.

Now we have umpires 'missing' free kicks. Does this mean to say that there needs to be a fourth umpire on the ground who can navigate to a better position to see what was missed, or are they saying that the umpires on the ground decided to interpret the rules incorrectly. There is a fine line between what we are seeing amd hearing and systemised match fixing.

if I was Ginnivan's manager, and the AFL is saying they have missed these free kicks. I'd be taking to the AFL a lawsuit with the 20 goals he has had stripped off him over the past 2 years and ask for them to cough up the extra 500k he is missing out on bonuses and awards etc.

Afl really needs to have some better guardrails.

Millions of dollars are spent on sports gambling on AFL games every week.

Now we have umpires 'missing' free kicks. Does this mean to say that there needs to be a fourth umpire on the ground who can navigate to a better position to see what was missed, or are they saying that the umpires on the ground decided to interpret the rules incorrectly. There is a fine line between what we are seeing amd hearing and systemised match fixing.

if I was Ginnivan's manager, and the AFL is saying they have missed these free kicks. I'd be taking to the AFL a lawsuit with the 20 goals he has had stripped off him over the past 2 years and ask for them to cough up the extra 500k he is missing out on bonuses and awards etc.
I think the danger in players being ‘allowed’ to tackle Ginni high would be a factor too, he isn’t being protected and opposition know they don’t have to be as careful in their approach.

Good luck with that.

Selwood needs to man up and make a statement for the benefit of the game. Something along the lines of, "I was wrong trying to game the umpires during my career. I see now that i may have influenced a generation of players to do the same. Umpires now, due to my free kick milking tactics, are confused about what a high tackle free kick looks like".

They'd probably be better off leveraging the impact the AFL admission might have on a post-career lawsuit for inadequate protection from acquired brain injury. Leaning on that angle is more likely to actually have some impact on the guidance they give on umpiring Ginnivan going forward. I'm surprised the AFL went on public record for this one in the first place, as they've basically admitted that they've created an unsafe environment for Ginnivan, giving him less protection than he deserved.

Last edited:
I'm calling it: in the next 4 years, Gini will be key to ending Collingwoods finals campaigns.

My ideal situation is us finishing eighth in 2025, Collingwood finishing fifth and Ginni kicking a goal to claim the lead in the final two minutes of an elimination final.
We might not hear the cheers over the boos, but my god it'd be worth it

Selwood needs to man up and make a statement for the benefit of the game. Something along the lines of, "I was wrong trying to game the umpires during my career. I see now that i may have influenced a generation of players to do the same. Umpires now, due to my free kick milking tactics, are confused about what a high tackle free kick looks like".

The heavy irony, of course, standing out like a search beacon on high beam, was that Selwood was one of the 4 commentators at the Geel v Haw game.
The other 3 commentators discussed the high tackle frees not paid and as to whether Ginnivan (and Watson) were ducking into the head high tackles.

Selwood remained mute, wordless, silent, tongue-tied, speechless and dumb.

In short, he said nothing, zilch - sweet fanny adams.

They'd probably be better off leveraging the impact the AFL admission might have on a post-career lawsuit for inadequate protection from acquired brain injury. Leaning on that angle is more likely to actually have some impact on the guidance they give on umpiring Ginnivan going forward. I'm surprised the AFL went on public record for this one in the first place, as they've basically admitted that they've created an unsafe environment for Ginnivan, given him less protection than he deserved.
Great point. Not to mention the optics every weekend with parents seeing CTE in the headlines and head high tackles being permitted. Without parents pushing their kids into the sport there is no future for it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A critical issue with umpiring is that they do umpire the player rather than the game on its merits. This has been a VFL/AFL culture issue since I've been going to the football.It is a part of their culture. On top of the high tackles on Ginnivan, he also applied a couple of great tackles on his opponents which would be holding the ball any day of the week yet they refused to reward him for his hard work. Consider how Selwood was kissed on the backside for his entire career ducking at every opportunity. How many critical free kicks did he get awarded in close games against us over the years by ducking or raising his arm. Plenty.

So, throw this major cultural problem combined with what is the most incompetent officiating in any sport in the world and we have a completely messed up competition. The AFL would be such a better competition without them. Rather than making the game better and fairer they basically mock it.
Remember when Hodge called out the umpire for giving Gaz a free kick.

The heavy irony, of course, standing out like a search beacon on high beam, was that Selwood was one of the 4 commentators at the Geel v Haw game.
The other 3 commentators discussed the high tackle frees not paid and as to whether Ginnivan (and Watson) were ducking into the head high tackles.

Selwood remained mute, wordless, silent, tongue-tied, speechless and dumb.

In short, he said nothing, zilch - sweet fanny adams.
To be fair, not saying anything was probably the best option. The backlash would have been much worse if he said anything for or against.

Absolutely.

Matthew Lloyd did that as a commentator when he admitted to diving and he has been one of the better commentators since. Selwood was terrible for a decade and it infuriated everyone. Annoying that he is now a commentator.

To be fair, not saying anything was probably the best option. The backlash would have been much worse if he said anything for or against.
He can’t win either way.

I honestly don’t understand why a hard nosed former player who was widely respected within the entire competition, still causes people here angst - despite having retired 18 months ago. He lives rent free in so many posters’ heads.

Everyone would have loved to have Joel Selwood play at Hawthorn. He is one of the all time greats.

He has no obligation to comment on everything happening in a game, and for some to call him a “coward” because he didn’t chime in - gee whiz. 🙄

Did people expect Leigh Matthews to chime in as a commentator when players got belted behind play and had their jaw/nose broken (as he did to Bruns in 1985)?

Or Hodge to comment when a player uses his hip to strike another player in side of the head, possibly into a point post (as he did to Wingard in 2015)?

Of course not.

Last edited:
They'd probably be better off leveraging the impact the AFL admission might have on a post-career lawsuit for inadequate protection from acquired brain injury. Leaning on that angle is more likely to actually have some impact on the guidance they give on umpiring Ginnivan going forward. I'm surprised the AFL went on public record for this one in the first place, as they've basically admitted that they've created an unsafe environment for Ginnivan, giving him less protection than he deserved.
They only went on public record because it was highlighted by commentators in the media.

Yes.
Given Ginnivan went off the field with a blood nose your point is pretty important.

Yes.
Given Ginnivan went off the field with a blood nose your point is pretty important.
The bloodied nose didn’t come as a result of a head high tackle.

He copped it when already at the bottom of a pack facing up, and Parfitt leant over and shouldered him right on the beak.

The bloodied nose didn’t come as a result of a head high tackle.

He copped it when already at the bottom of a pack facing up, and Parfitt leant over and shouldered him right on the beak.
I didn't say it was a head high tackle - but he did get "it" in the face.

The umpires gave carte blanche for the Cats treatment on Ginnivan.

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Jack Ginnivan!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back