Welcome to Hawthorn, Jack Saunders - Pick #4 2020 rookie draft

Remove this Banner Ad

From the Box Hill games I've watched this year (on line, not live) Jack has shown significant improvement over the course of the season. Much harder at the ball now, better defensively and seems to be running to good positions more often. Also getting some shots on goal. Given how slow we look at times, why wouldn't we keep Jack on the list? I'm in the "give Saunders a run against Bulldogs this week" camp. See how his game translates to AFL level.

I’ve watched every game and he has definitely improved and has speed and an appetite for defence, but he’s a poor user and that’s tough to fix and we already have too many of those. Figure he will have to wait until the end of the trade period - it depends how many players retire and get moved on. I don’t think it will be more than 4, which I think opens 3 spots as I think we are 1 over already from the msd. Feel like we take 2-3 early picks plus Lawrence F/S and probably a rookie spot min so 5. Assuming that hypothetical is true where do the other 2 spots come from?

I’ve watched every game and he has definitely improved and has speed and an appetite for defence, but he’s a poor user and that’s tough to fix and we already have too many of those. Figure he will have to wait until the end of the trade period - it depends how many players retire and get moved on. I don’t think it will be more than 4, which I think opens 3 spots as I think we are 1 over already from the msd. Feel like we take 2-3 early picks plus Lawrence F/S and probably a rookie spot min so 5. Assuming that hypothetical is true where do the other 2 spots come from?

McEvoy - Retire
Hartigan - Delist
Howe - Unrestricted free agent, so will probably be picked up by another club offering more than we would
Shiels - probably retire

After those 4 there are rumours floating around regarding Brockman returning to WA and T.Mitchell being offered up for trade.

Finally, I would have thought that S.Mitchell is more at risk than Saunders based on performances to date.

I think he's safe, and due to his pure speed would be worth hanging on to at this stage.

McEvoy - Retire
Hartigan - Delist
Howe - Unrestricted free agent, so will probably be picked up by another club offering more than we would
Shiels - probably retire

After those 4 there are rumours floating around regarding Brockman returning to WA and T.Mitchell being offered up for trade.

Finally, I would have thought that S.Mitchell is more at risk than Saunders based on performances to date.

I think he's safe, and due to his pure speed would be worth hanging on to at this stage.

He's a keeper for me too. When I first saw him play I wondered whether he was new to our game, looked lost. After a few games just seemed to improve with every outing, so I'd like to see where he is in a few years.

The original Mighty Mouse -Ben Mglynn was initially a poor user of the ball when a rookie at Hawthorn. Tidied up his disposal to become a pretty handy forward for us and then the $wans. Hoping MM mark2 can follow the same pathway..

Last edited:
So we've already had exit interviews, and we now debut Saunders? Fair to suggest he's on the list next year.

Go well MM
They still may have said he is on the fringes of the list. I'm sure there would be some they would be saying to that we aren't sure at this stage and their position will be impacted by other list management decisions. Doubt it would be 100% either way at this point

So we've already had exit interviews, and we now debut Saunders? Fair to suggest he's on the list next year.

Go well MM
where did you read that we have already had exit interviews?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has improved massively this year. Didn't see it last season but Sam said he was the biggest learner/improver at the club then so that's a good trajectory. Will run all day and try his guts out 👍
You can never have enough of guys like this. You can teach skills. Passion, commitment, drive and a willingness to push yourself past where you thought you could ever go is something innate.

The original Mighty Mouse -Ben Mglynn was initially a poor user of the ball when a rookie at Hawthorn. Tidied up his disposal to become a pretty handy forward for us and then the $wans. Hoping MM mark2 can follow the same pathway..
Agree…Except stay on our list!

If it can work for Moore, it can work for Saunders.
Seen this written a bit. Worth noting Moorey played the 3 last games of 2020, and only really shone in the very last game with the two game previous being quite forgettable.

He was very very lucky to get that rookie spot.

Saunders being given 1 game to show his wares suggests to me that he's got a spot on the list in 2023.

Seen this written a bit. Worth noting Moorey played the 3 last games of 2020, and only really shone in the very last game with the two game previous being quite forgettable.

He was very very lucky to get that rookie spot.

Saunders being given 1 game to show his wares suggests to me that he's got a spot on the list in 2023.
Helps when Moore wasn't played in the pocket and could use his strength to push further up the ground.

Yep.

It's only his disposal that is the issue.

At times, it has looked as if it has improved...but at others, it has still been an issue. One that would be an issue at AFL level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome to Hawthorn, Jack Saunders - Pick #4 2020 rookie draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back