Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn : Jai “Duke” Newcombe - 2022 AFLCA Best Young Player, extends to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe this is Jai's way of saying "The lid is off!"? Gone the business cut as we approach the business end of the season.
Enough time to grow it our a little before finals photos.

Seriously though, I had no idea who it was! He looks bigger around the face without the hair to frame it!

There is a lot said about how Day is our best midfielder and while I'm not 100% sure, I am close to 100% sure that Newcombe is our most damaging. I think we're lucky to have both of these guys - but I also think Newc is the one who develops into that 20+ goal midfielder.

Great game from the Poowong Punisher today.

There is a lot said about how Day is our best midfielder and while I'm not 100% sure, I am close to 100% sure that Newcombe is our most damaging. I think we're lucky to have both of these guys - but I also think Newc is the one who develops into that 20+ goal midfielder.

Great game from the Poowong Punisher today.
He will be just as good.

Will do it in a different way, a Oliver/Petracca situation, or Judd/Cousins, two elite mids.

He was massive today, a cross between a front end loader and a ballerina (it’s a weird analogy but work with me here people).
He was massive today, a cross between a front end loader and a ballerina (it’s a weird analogy but work with me here people).
The front end loader can pirouette. I see it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With his new doo he somehow looks even more imposing- like a fridge on legs. I hope they start bubble wrapping him at training when they are doing contact drills- the man’s like a rampaging elephant when he gets going

Tough as hell, too. Got crunched hard and was up linking play soon after.
I loved that because he never had eyes for the goals, as soon as he got the ball at 50 he could have kept running in and taken a ping but he hit Gunners with a perfectly weighted pass. Playing the right way.

Had a ripping game again, was unreal particularly in that first quarter. Both he and Worpel got off the chain a bit with was great to see.

That knee he got square in the lower back from one of the tiger's meathead (Balta from memory) could be felt right through the TV.

Unreal that he was back up on his feet again and hitting Gunston within a minute.

Hope they give him a light week, we need him fully fit come finals. Is more and more becoming our highly talented enforcer around the ball, alongside Nash.

Media in particular go on about Day being our best. However, Jai is the barometer of this team. On the rare occasions he is really quiet, we struggle.

He is doing the number 3 proud

Another smashing of Davies-uniacke on the cards this coming weekend.

Media in particular go on about Day being our best. However, Jai is the barometer of this team. On the rare occasions he is really quiet, we struggle.

He is doing the number 3 proud

When he gets going he's generating scores with those penetrating kicks from the midfield that hit forwards and lead to goals.

Pretty handy running through 50 and as a marking option as well.

It was palpable from his second year, that he's our most damaging midfielder by some margin.

Been quiet here and there this year with the extra attention he's receiving. But the minute they sit off him he bobs up and gets busy. Other times he just pushes through.

Genuinely tore the game apart in the first this week. It's really apparent that he's getting more and more comfortable in the AFL's version of 'the pocket' now. Jai just moves through and around congestion without losing his cool or focus - he keeps looking for options and then delivers.

Last edited:
Newc's end to the season has been unreal.

35 disposals and 1 goal at 89% DE in the wet, 4 goal assists and 15 score involvements. Highest rated player on the ground at 28.4, his highest rated game for the season or... ever, actually. Second highest rated player over the past 5 games with 20.5 per game.

Newc's only flaw is that the umpires seem to be completely ambivalent towards him in terms of free kicks.

He's the anti-Samson.

Shave it all off Newk. It only brings him more power.

Regular Season Sport GIF by MLB

I think the new haircut makes him even intimidating.

The oppo players must think to themselves "this dude doesn't give a f..k about what he looks like, he's one scary mofo 😬"

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn : Jai “Duke” Newcombe - 2022 AFLCA Best Young Player, extends to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back