Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Pick 7, Cam MacKenzie, extends to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Always look at the stat sheet after a game and am surprised by how few possessions Cam has had, speaks volumes of his impact when he does get the pill
Dont worry, keep trusting your eye. Sure we want every player to get it more, but the quality is there. It's just a lot of commentators dont watch our games but look at stats and go from there.

Always look at the stat sheet after a game and am surprised by how few possessions Cam has had, speaks volumes of his impact when he does get the pill
Had him in a multi for 20+ possessions, strong 1st half with 12 touches but only 4 in the 2nd half.

Running out games is still an issue but look out when he builds the tank and is getting 20+ touches a game.

His fitness and opportunity is limiting his possession count. If he was on ball all game like worpel, day and newc he'd get 25-30 too. He's got a bit of work to do to force his way in though.

He looks to be adjusting to the pace of the game now. He is taking that extra step to gather himself, taking the extra second to look for the best option with the ball. Looks so composed and calm even in congestion. In another 50 games where he is more physically developed he will be taking over games instead of just moments within them.

3 more pre seasons and this guy will become a physical beast that asserts himself into contests like the very best midfielders do.. put that alongside the polish he already has stepping through traffic, decision making and elite skill execution by foot and we have a pretty special player!

How do we think he stands compared to Day at a similar age? My thinking is slightly ahead given Day has a bit of trouble staying on the park. Exciting to think he could get to Day level.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How do we think he stands compared to Day at a similar age? My thinking is slightly ahead given Day has a bit of trouble staying on the girls. Exciting to think he could get to Day level.

Has that advantage of being slightly European, and that clean cut blonde look. Good balance too.

This kid is a jet.
J….E…T

End of story.
Can hardly wait to see him with 80 games under his belt.
Agree he's a JET, but I think next year we'll see him raise the bar further.

Noticeably bigger this season, another pre season to improve his tank and mass, I'm looking forward to seeing how he can exploit the opposition, be it via his evasiveness in close or his skill on the outside.

His first 25 games has shown us a glimpse of what he's capable of, the next 25 games could be where we see him really impose himself.

Slobbo on 360 last night surprisingly complemented the Hawks and Day in particular but he mentioned that we were still short a gun mid to support Day …….. do your homework properly Slobbo no mention that we have frenchie coming through!
I guess Newcombe doesn't exist either.

How do we think he stands compared to Day at a similar age? My thinking is slightly ahead given Day has a bit of trouble staying on the girls. Exciting to think he could get to Day level.
I had that problem once, when I accidentally called out another girl's name.

I could only stay on another 4 seconds, rodeo style...

In the last month we've seen the start of Frenchy really look more confident in his role. He was probably trying to do too much early days but he's now getting into good positions and starting to use his weapons to our advantage. His growth will go a long way to us reaching finals in the coming years. He has the skills and composure, just needs to start to get a few extra possessions a game to maximise damage.

He's not the same player, but he sort of reminds me of Petracca when he was in his first few years where you could tell he was going to be a gun when he had the ball in hand, it was just about building the tank to have that happen 30 times a game instead of 15. The Tracc comparison ends there, but I think whatever we can do to get him experience and AFL minutes will be rewarded with one of the best mids in the comp.
Hopefully we give Petracca some time to catch up to Frenchy 👍

Remove this Banner Ad

Back