Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn : Jai “Duke” Newcombe - 2022 AFLCA Best Young Player, extends to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

Newc's end to the season has been unreal.

35 disposals and 1 goal at 89% DE in the wet, 4 goal assists and 15 score involvements. Highest rated player on the ground at 28.4, his highest rated game for the season or... ever, actually. Second highest rated player over the past 5 games with 20.5 per game.

Newc's only flaw is that the umpires seem to be completely ambivalent towards him in terms of free kicks.

He's the anti-Samson.
I saw in the week that he's number 1 in the comp over the last 4 weeks for scores from his clearances.

He's a beast. I think arguably right now our most important player.

8 centre clearances today. His ability to get the ball out of heavy congestion with a handpass is elite.

I saw in the week that he's number 1 in the comp over the last 4 weeks for scores from his clearances.

He's a beast. I think arguably right now our most important player.

8 centre clearances today. His ability to get the ball out of heavy congestion with a handpass is elite.
For a guy who is carved out of granite I am never ceased to be amazed by how light he is on his feet.

For a guy who is carved out of granite I am never ceased to be amazed by how light he is on his feet.
Was it you that likened him to a front end loader fused with a ballerina? 🤣

When he takes possession under pressure he does that Matthew's reverse shimmy thing and most times he's got the play in front of him and option of a kick or handball. If the oppo does get him he can usually either break free or stand up and still dish it off.

He has a real refusal to just stick the ball onto his boot however hot the pressure is.

He's the engine of this side.

I've got a bit seduced by the Wiz but Jai is still my favourite player.

Was it you that likened him to a front end loader fused with a ballerina? 🤣

When he takes possession under pressure he does that Matthew's reverse shimmy thing and most times he's got the play in front of him and option of a kick or handball. If the oppo does get him he can usually either break free or stand up and still dish it off.

He has a real refusal to just stick the ball onto his boot however hot the pressure is.

He's the engine of this side.

I've got a bit seduced by the Wiz but Jai is still my favourite player.
Yeh that was mine, I am quite proud of that one 😂

Yes he's an absolute jem is the Prince of Poowong.

Ended up with an identical Supercoach average to last season, which is quite amazing because it's felt like he's been 'down' on last year's form!
Feel he was more even throughout the year last year, but this year he's built to his strongest form ever in the last bit of the year despite starting slow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the new haircut makes him even intimidating.

The oppo players must think to themselves "this dude doesn't give a f..k about what he looks like, he's one scary mofo 😬"
Here is a moustache of someone who is past giving a f**k about what people think. Be great to see some of our players with a mo like this.

(It’s Julius Fučík, a Czech composer best known for “Enter the gladiators”, which is the theme for circus clowns.)

Attachments

• IMG_7708.jpeg
    IMG_7708.jpeg
    49.2 KB · Views: 23
Put him in a Geelong jumper and he's AA !

team america vomit GIF

Reminds me of Mark Riccutto, big body, that can move with good hands above his head. I think we need to rest rotate him through the middle more....plus get him to grow a mow so he looks more like lethal.

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

At the start of the year I thought he looked laboured in his running, but hats off to Jai and the conditioning team, seriously becoming an elite consistent player, noticeable how rock hard fit he looks at the ground. When he is on (Same for Nash), we are on. Just seems another tireless worker behind closed doors and his earned everything.

The part about Jai getting demoted for the rising star because he was old and now Dempsey is in the complete opposite light being talked up is pretty funny, he genuinly looks 30 in some shots though. He is about to make a name for himself as the benjamin button of the AFL, just turned 23, we are about to witness 7 years of his prime that not many players can rival.

His the type of player that makes a name for himself in finals, and some of the hits he brushes off are quite insane, cannot wait to see what he will produce.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn : Jai “Duke” Newcombe - 2022 AFLCA Best Young Player, extends to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back