Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: James Cousins

Remove this Banner Ad

For a rookie pick seems a nice prospect. Good averages throughout the year for the Bushranger's (24.3 disposals and a goal a game, according to AFL website) complemented by 4.7 tackles which is an indicator of work ethic for a midfielder. From watching his highlights and from asking a few people who claim to be in the 'know' about recruiting he seems to be a a Liam Sheils type: he's not going to set the world of fire or win a game on his own, but can be a role player that also accumulates possessions. Would obviously come with some faults (he wouldn't be such a low selection if he didn't) but I like what I'm seeing for a raw player. Doubt he'd see AFL game time with a plethora of mids ahead of him, and his two years developing in Box Hill will give a better indication of whether he can make it at this level.

Wish him the best of luck at HFC.

Seems a very consistent performer. Smashed em in the Bushrangers B&F medal count (Garthwaite went at #72 in the ND while Tizaini went at 54 ). IMO an excellent rookie selection.

James Cousins takes out 2016 John Byrne medal.
Mansfield’s James Cousins has capped off a superb season by winning the John Byrne Medal as the Murray Bushrangers Best & Fairest. The gun midfielder polled votes in every game he played during the year to finish with 31 votes ahead of joint runner up Ryan Garthwaite (Corowa- Rutherglen) & Lachlan Tizaini (Albury) who both finished on 22 votes.
Cousins had a superb middle period of the season where he polled maximum votes against the Eastern Ranges & Northern Knights in Round 11 & 12. The hard running midfielder has been a tower of strength all season which has included an opportunity to play Richmond VFL during the year

Good Luck James Cousins!
Welcome to the greatest team in the AFL.

Will reserve judgement until I see him play at Box Hill.
From what I've read he can get the ball on a consistent basis, which is a good sign.
Work hard and anything is possible...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking at the info available on him it is surprising that he didn't go in the national draft. There must be a good reason, any thoughts? (this is not an invitation to hammer the kid, just wondering what he needs to improve)

Last edited:
Looking at the info available on him it is surprising that he didn't go in the national draft. There must be a good reason, any thoughts? (this is not an invitation to hammer the kid, just wondering what he needs to improve)
Rocket, I'm a big fan of James as a rookie choice. I think he has a high floor (will play Box Hill Seniors next year) and a moderate ceiling (3rd or at best, 2nd midfielder in seniors). That said I have read... and this is from memory (I cannot re-find my source info)
His strengths: his endurance, ball winning ability, and consistency.
His weakness: a relative lack of pace & (disposal efficiency around 63%) <--*Edit 2/12/16 incorrect: D.E. was actually 67.6% which is average for the grade. The stated weakness was a low "hurt factor"

Neither of these stated weaknesses are, at this stage in his career, a problem in my book. He is a natural footballer. Watch him grow.

Last edited:
Rocket, I'm a big fan of James as a rookie choice. I think he has a high floor (will play Box Hill Seniors next year) and a moderate ceiling (3rd or at best, 2nd midfielder in seniors). That said I have read... and this is from memory (I cannot re-find my source info)
His weakness: a relative lack of pace & disposal efficiency around 63%

Neither of these stated weaknesses are, at this stage in his career, a problem in my book. He is a natural footballer. Watch him grow.

Thanks for that, his DE is pretty low even for an inside midfielder. From his highlights he looks to dispose of the ball way quicker than he needs to. Some coaches in juniors preach 'first option' and I'm hoping that our coaches can help there. To improve pace you need to work hard, but he looks like the kind of kid that is prepared to do the yards. I'll follow him at BH with interest and won't be surprised if he breaks into the seniors in a few years.

His weakness: a relative lack of pace & disposal efficiency around 63%

Disposal efficiency can always improve, ball winning ability however can not

Thanks for that, his DE is pretty low even for an inside midfielder. From his highlights he looks to dispose of the ball way quicker than he needs to. Some coaches in juniors preach 'first option' and I'm hoping that our coaches can help there. To improve pace you need to work hard, but he looks like the kind of kid that is prepared to do the yards. I'll follow him at BH with interest and won't be surprised if he breaks into the seniors in a few years.
I found the source info. Turns out James' Disposal Efficiency last year was at 67.6% and not the 63% I plucked from memory. His D.E. actually compares well against ND #9 pick Will Brodie (65.2%) and close to the "Rolls Royce" in Hugh McCluggage (69.6%). Sorry for the bum steer. I have fixed my above post.

The stated weakness in disposal was on his "hurt factor". He does not penetrate zones or burst away like some midfielders can...

https://afldraftcentral.com.au/player/james-cousins/ <-- afl draft central

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: James Cousins

Remove this Banner Ad

Back