Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: James Cousins

Remove this Banner Ad

We have delisted some solid backup players. Cuz was the only one who might have been a bit more than that. Good luck to him, he'd make it in a bunch of leagues. The aggressive delistings show us how bullish we are about success.

Always liked Cuz. Thought he had some fine moments this season. I understand at this point in our rebuild that he won't necessarily improve us so I can accept his delisting.

Could be worth a pick up as a DFA at clubs like Richmond or West Coast who will rate their chances next season but also need midfield depth.

He's one of those players who's too good to just be playing in a state league side, but doesn't have enough elite traits to elevate himself to be a best 22 AFL player.

I don't think his kicking is anywhere near as good as is being made out by the DE% stat being thrown around - which remember counts 40m+ bombs to contests as effective - but should he be able to actually make kicking a weapon of his game I can certainly see him being able to be best 22 somewhere.

Just unfortunate for him that being a midfielder in this game you're not afforded as much time to develop. That said, he did get a pretty good go at it for a rookie listed mid.

He did get 5 years on the list.....
Yes, as I said, he did get a good go at it for a rookie listed mid. But he might have been afforded more time to show something if he wasn't a midfielder. For example Sam Grimley and Luke Lowden got 7 and 8 years respectively and they barely played any games. There are always going to be more midfielders so you need to show something early and keep improving otherwise your spot won't be safe.

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: James Cousins

Remove this Banner Ad

Back