Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, James Worpel, pick #43 2017 - Peter Crimmins medalist 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

He’s a very average battler sadly. Mitch’s handling of the midfield intrigues me. Nash and Duke are performing well, but the others aren’t near the level we need. I’m noticing he’s playing Tom Mitchell and Jaegar out of there as much as possible and turning around the midfield group trying to find a mix that is effective so they can grow. We need to trade Tom, Jaegar and Worpell if possible end of year. These guys won’t take us forward and I trust in Mitch to ultimately find the group that can.

Difference from 2019 to now. Has he trained more endurance, where 2019 he was slightly more explosive which allowed him to get to the ball and spread better
Thus confidence down, struggling to know what's doing compounding his downward spiral.....
So would need a preseaon to retrain

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

He’s a very average battler sadly. Mitch’s handling of the midfield intrigues me. Nash and Duke are performing well, but the others aren’t near the level we need. I’m noticing he’s playing Tom Mitchell and Jaegar out of there as much as possible and turning around the midfield group trying to find a mix that is effective so they can grow. We need to trade Tom, Jaegar and Worpell if possible end of year. These guys won’t take us forward and I trust in Mitch to ultimately find the group that can.

JOM is adapting well to the new role, of the three of them I think he's the one we should be keeping.

He's playing the game entirely in his head.

His entire junior career was on instinct - see ball, get ball. He was fast/strong/good enough that he became an elite junior, and good enough to make AFL - always playing as the primary onballer.

When he got to AFL, he was lacking fitness and his speed wasn't enough to get clear from congestion. His contested game was still extremely good.

In 2019, due to injuries he became "the man" of our midfield, chased the ball and his opponent had to chase him. He was good enough offensively that his opposition were defensively focused. He could play flat out attack, instigating his play.

The problem was whilst he was very good in this role, he wasn't elite "enough" for that to be all he did. Like Tom gets exposed in transition (and before him Sam himself), we needed Worpel to play in a more balanced fashion.

It was new. Not instinctual at all, and suddenly he started to become reactive. As he hesitated (thinking/reacting), his inherent advantage at the contested ball wavered, and he found himself unable to win effective ball - even when he did win the contest he was under immense pressure, without the speed/agility to get away, and unable to monster opponents like he could in juniors.

Thus, the performance started to slip. He was still getting touches, but not achieving much with them. He wasn't getting the same attention from opposition, and instead they started to work off him - he needed to be more accountable.

The circle continued - less effective, opposition more damaging, became more defensive/reactionary. Any possession went from being under pressure to being "lucky" to be able to dispose. Suddenly, he seemed so SLOW.

So if you are always being tackled as soon as you take possession, you start to rush. You look up a hundredth of a second earlier, and don't quite grasp the ball perfectly. You start your 'move' before you have control. You run faster at the ball, instead of slowing to collect it cleanly. You don't take that fraction of a second ("Time") to make your disposal as good as it can be.

You fail. So you try harder, and fail even harder. "2nd year Blues" are nothing to do with physical development or tiring. It's the complications forced upon players as the opposition learn about you, and your club expects you to change and grow.

It's something that a great deal of young players go through as they 'graduate' to AFL. It's actually a symptom of having the "youngest", instead of the "best" drafted (u/18s exclusively instead of best 22-23yo "VFL/WAFL" players). >50% of all draftees are onballers, but only 20% of them will ever play midfield at AFL level. Obviously the best players in juniors will be playing the primary roles, but as the levels go up, and talent concentration increases, they are forced to play in other positions (wings, flanks, pockets) and to change their mentality - to learn and develop.

We went through it with Will Langford years ago, who went from a natural, 'unique' footballer, who did things few others could - to a reactive, slow-thinking mess who never escaped the black hole of a lack of confidence. More recently we have done the same with Howe - "The Future" developed into the "Never Was" spending his entire career playing in periphery, reactionary roles.

I'm afraid Worpel is rapidly heading down the same path. Even going back to his best role (not best for the team, best for him) as the #1, all the recent traits (fumbles, lack of vision, slow reactions, careless disposal) remain evident - indeed they become more obvious.

Before we can expect Worpel to return to the player we drafted, we need to find a way to "unshackle" him mentally to regain confidence in what he CAN do.

It might be an extended stint at VFL - this could certainly allow him to become "the man" again - to regain that confidence in himself (simply by playing at a level "beneath" him where his physical attributes and 'talent' allow him to be the hyper-attacking mid he was at 17), to regain the skills he was drafted for.

He needs to stop thinking, and just DO.

(Then we can at least decide whether to structure around his weaknesses - ala Hill to cover Sam's inability to cover transition; Hale to cover Franklin's lack of contest in a pack, Puopolo to help cover a weak 1on1 defensive unit; etc)

Imagine for a second, you are doing a simple skill test - (catching a dropped ruler hidden behind a piece of paper for example).

Initially you are pretty poor, but repetition significantly improves your results. Your reaction time improves as your brain streamlines the process, removing thought and become instinctual. You even begin to anticipate the drop - unconsciously you are picking up signals (a twitch on the releasing finger?) and start to 'react' before you see the ruler move.

Imagine you are then withheld new information - a piece of paper hiding the drop mechanism is added. You can't use your prediction (finger twitch) anymore, but you quickly improve results again as you are still reacting on instinct.

Then you are told the 'dropper' always "Counts to three" first. You start mentally counting to three, and get improved results. The paper hiding the drop is returned, but it doesn't matter anymore, as you know the secret (count to three). It's consistent and incredible results follow.

But then one time they only count to two.

You miss the ruler entirely, as your instinct to react to the drop has disappeared through lack of use. You have been relying on experience/knowledge and predicting the drop, not instinct.

You know how much better it was with the trigger (count to three), so instead of going back to what always works (reaction/instinct) you try to improve the trigger (maybe I count to three faster?). The more you try to change, the more inconsistent the result becomes.

Even if they then remove the paper, you still have to relearn how to react instinctually - to switch off conscious thought.

Good to see he was best on with 12 clearances, anyone know what his efficiency was like?

a41d8c475948ad8e9070259dab8be121.jpg

Good to see he was best on with 12 clearances, anyone know what his efficiency was like?

a41d8c475948ad8e9070259dab8be121.jpg
I only saw the first half but his handballing was really good at getting players into space, much better than I’ve seen at AFL level from him.

His kicking was a bit all over the shop though.

Worpels kicking issues are completely different to those of Mitchells.

Mitchell struggles with penetration and it’s a physical issue. No matter how hard he wants to he won’t ever be a penetrating kick or quick.

Worpel on the other hand tries to over kick and his kicking is inconsistent mainly by ball drop. He has great penetration and is a good long kick being able to kick distance easy.

He can still fix up little things to make him a good enough kick and that then bodes well with his strengths. What I wanna see is an emphasis on workrate and endurance. Try get back to where you were yes but improve. He could still reach a similar level to Andy Brayshaw if he wants it enough but who knows.

He’s had both Jai and Nash go past him for inside roles and a change in game style that doesn’t suit him (Mitchell has similar issue). He prob needs Mitchell and JOM to move on (or Jai/Nash to go backwards) to get a real look in as needs to be playing inside as secondary role don’t suit him (kicking etc).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Worpels kicking issues are completely different to those of Mitchells.

Mitchell struggles with penetration and it’s a physical issue. No matter how hard he wants to he won’t ever be a penetrating kick or quick.

Worpel on the other hand tries to over kick and his kicking is inconsistent mainly by ball drop. He has great penetration and is a good long kick being able to kick distance easy.

He can still fix up little things to make him a good enough kick and that then bodes well with his strengths. What I wanna see is an emphasis on workrate and endurance. Try get back to where you were yes but improve. He could still reach a similar level to Andy Brayshaw if he wants it enough but who knows.

He's nothing like Brayshaw.

He's nothing like Brayshaw.
I think Brayshaws got a few more strengths that are different, he's a more reliable kick and has a pretty good tank and ability to find the footy around the ground being more "balanced".

But they've got a fair few similar, both can be real bull inside forces, good by hand, leaders, built similarly body wise.

I think Brayshaws got a few more strengths that are different, he's a more reliable kick and has a pretty good tank and ability to find the footy around the ground being more "balanced".

But they've got a fair few similar, both can be real bull inside forces, good by hand, leaders, built similarly body wise.

Worpel will never be as mobile as Brayshaw, nor as quick, nor as versatile. Brayshaw is a gun midfielder of the competition.

The similarities end with them both being midfielders IMO.

He’s had both Jai and Nash go past him for inside roles and a change in game style that doesn’t suit him (Mitchell has similar issue). He prob needs Mitchell and JOM to move on (or Jai/Nash to go backwards) to get a real look in as needs to be playing inside as secondary role don’t suit him (kicking etc).
I don’t think the problem is others have gone past him so much as he’s gone backwards rapidly.

IMO if he was in 2019 form he’d be our best mid. Instead he’s not in our best 22 currently.

Worpel will never be as mobile as Brayshaw, nor as quick, nor as versatile. Brayshaw is a gun midfielder of the competition.

The similarities end with them both being midfielders IMO.
Worpel is "bigger" and is more inside, build wise they aren't that different but it seems Worpel went for the "i wanna be big" rather than "balance me out big, quick cover the ground". Versatility comes with the body aswell, seeing as he started his career as a half forward for us.

Brayshaw is a jet!

Worpel is "bigger" and is more inside, build wise they aren't that different but it seems Worpel went for the "i wanna be big" rather than "balance me out big, quick cover the ground". Versatility comes with the body aswell, seeing as he started his career as a half forward for us.

Brayshaw is a jet!

Both players are listed at 185cm and 86kg. They're the exact same size.

Worpel's kicking is what it is, and that is bad.

But his other strengths can make up for it. Hopefully with a performance like that he takes off over the next few weeks and comes back with a vengeance.
The problem with Worpel is all his strengths are Mitchell's strengths, and all his flaws are Mitchell's flaws.

It is no accident Worpel's best year was when Mitchell broke his leg.

You just cannot play both at once.

The problem with Worpel is all his strengths are Mitchell's strengths, and all his flaws are Mitchell's flaws.

It is no accident Worpel's best year was when Mitchell broke his leg.

You just cannot play both at once.

I don't subscribe to that theory. His issue is that he's not versatile enough - not mobile or skilled enough either. Right now he's a one-trick pony, and we have multiple players who are better, or just as good (and offer something else) at that one trick.

Mitchell has played far less in the middle this season compared to every other year, but he's still found a way to get the ball. Meanwhile Worpel has completely regressed.

Several other teams play with multiple contested midfielders and they make it work. Carlton have Cripps, Hewett and Kennedy. Fremantle have Brodie, Serong, Brayshaw and Mundy, etc. Why can't Worpel work with Newcombe, JOM, Nash and Mitchell?

Last edited:
I don't subscribe to that theory. His issue is that he's not versatile enough - not mobile or skilled enough either. Right now he's a one-trick pony, and we have multiple players who are better, or just as good (and offer something else) at that one trick.

Mitchell has played far less in the middle this season compared to every other year, but he's still found a way to get the ball. Meanwhile Worpel has completely regressed.

Several other teams play with multiple contested midfielders and they make it work. Carlton have Cripps, Hewett and Kennedy. Fremantle have Brodie, Serong, Brayshaw and Mundy, etc. Why can't Worpel work with Newcombe, JOM, Nash and Mitchell?
I don't know why, but the facts show Worpel had a stand out year when Mitchell was injured, and he has been completely lost since Mitchell came back.

Maybe it is just coincidence. But it seems to me that both players do their best work when they are the bottom of the pack feeding bandpasses or handing the ball back to the umpire like a young Sammy Mitchell. Sammy Mitchell went on to develop his game to an entirely different level which neither Worpel or Tom Mitchell seem capable of doing.

If Tom Mitchell is more versatile than Worpel it is not by much.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back