Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, James Worpel, pick #43 2017 - Peter Crimmins medalist 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

James Worpel will be a massive player.
It occured to me last Saturday that he has the 2 major attributes that all recruiters look for (think of Cyril)

1 Clean ball handler - doesn't fumble
2. Keeps his feet, doesn't go to ground.

Sensational effort in the 3rd quarter.
But I forgot his 3rd attribute - unlimited courage.

Selwood takes his eye off the ball and sets elbow and hip at Worpel's head.
Most players would brace for contact and go to ground - forget the ball.

The clean grab and pivot - taking the glancing blow - were magical (not to overlook the clean disposal).
That footage will define the kid for years to come.

Not convinced he has the makings of a gun player based on highlights which is a shame as I'm generally spot on with calling it but hope he proves me wrong. Go hard Worpy always and you'll do well at the Hawks.

578BD988-B3EB-48B8-BE4F-20281C8E321F.gif

537219_1cc3b4c929da9056744467e7c96d8c44.jpg

The Holy Trinity

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clarko kept it pretty modest about Worp's in the presser. Probably doesn't want all the attention to mess with the youngsters head at this stage.

Usually players take a while. . Sometimes years... to look comfortable in the big league.

The Worpedo has just looked like it from day #1. Incredible

Only other guy to come in like this (and granted, it was at a level few ever get to), was Cyril.

Crazy that when Cyril exits stage left, along comes a guy with the same ability to fit in right away.

Incredible drafting and management by the club.

Special mention to the centre square contests that Worpel pantsed Ablett in. No small thing.

I'd noticed that, and then when I heard he lived with Breust, wondered if he had some of Punky's approach rub off on him. Both are insanely strong through the core.

Maybe Worpel has a....rugby league background!

ABF675C0-0C88-49B5-8C2B-3F9213F6AC8A.jpeg

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, James Worpel, pick #43 2017 - Peter Crimmins medalist 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Back