Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, James Worpel, pick #43 2017 - Peter Crimmins medalist 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

He's been quite good at converting those fast centre clearances straight to a forward for goals. He was doing that a fair bit back in his PCM year too.
The clearance against freo in 2019 where he hit Lewis on the chest is one of my favourites. They are such value goals as they arrest momentum or allow us to continue to score quickly.

Interestingly enough he had 11 goal assists from 22 games in 2019. He’s already ahead this year after only 11 games.

Rarely see him throw it on the boot around the body indiscriminately any more.

If he’s kicking it these days it tends to only be after he’s looked up to see what he’s kicking to, otherwise he’s handballing it off.

His evasive body work with Max Viney and his composure when kicking have really elevated his game to career best levels.

It would be good to see him hitting the scoreboard too. He’s quite a good kick on the run so I wouldn’t mind seeing him taking some shots when bursting out of the centre square if there isn’t a clear lead from a forward on offer.

Rarely see him throw it on the boot around the body indiscriminately any more.

If he’s kicking it these days it tends to only be after he’s looked up to see what he’s kicking to, otherwise he’s handballing it off.

His evasive body work with Max Viney and his composure when kicking have really elevated his game to career best levels.

It would be good to see him hitting the scoreboard too. He’s quite a good kick on the run so I wouldn’t mind seeing him taking some shots when bursting out of the centre square if there isn’t a clear lead from a forward on offer.
Agreed. This would keep his opponent honest too because they can't then assume he's just going to get it in and under and then look for an easy handball out.

I like that he's blazing away a lot less than in previous seasons. He's taking a split second more time, as he seemingly knows that he can fight through most contact and most tackles now. That confidence allows him to have enough time to dish off to someone as opposed to just slamming it on the boot.

He had several down weeks possession wise, but was still playing his role in and around the clearances. With Day and Moore rotating through the middle we have five players now that can win clearances, four of them are a decent size and the fifth is the most tenacious of them all. It's a great mix right now.

Edit: I imagine having confidence in his body has contributed greatly to this.

Last edited:
Just bumping this...

He has been absolutely magnificent in the last eight weeks...a key part in our turn-around.

All those things we wanted...lowering the eyes, hitting targets....he's doing them every week.

For a long time, he was seen as just the 'grunt', with not much 'class'...and even as trade bait by some...but he is indispensible at the moment.

Yes, look, it's yet another james worpel fanboy post. You knew it was coming, right?

Worps has been our most consistent performer this year. Even in the first few rounds when we were copping some beatings he was putting his head over the ball and clocking some decent numbers.

He's on a journey to get the very best out of himself and his talent. The extra work he's doing around grappling and evasion, and the stack of work he's obviously done around his delivery inside 50 is really paying dividends.

The word "ceiling" gets thrown around a lot in terms of this invisible barrier that somehow limits what a player is able to achieve - I'm not a huge fan of it, tbh. Our coach was an example of someone who was "too fat and too slow", but ended up with one of the greatest individual careers in footy history because of his absolute will to improve his game and develop his weapons. Worps evidently has a real desire to improve his game also, and he is a crucial cog in our plans for the next few years.

Just bumping this...

He has been absolutely magnificent in the last eight weeks...a key part in our turn-around.

All those things we wanted...lowering the eyes, hitting targets....he's doing them every week.

For a long time, he was seen as just the 'grunt', with not much 'class'...and even as trade bait by some...but he is indispensible at the moment.
Good bump 👍

Of the midfield quartet that established themselves last year (Day, Newk, Nash, Worps) I think Worps was seen by many as the most susceptible in terms of maintaining their starting mid status.

As you say, credit to him for taking the next step this year and being a major factor in our progress.

Just bumping this...

Bursting away from stoppages, evading tackles, lace out passes that barely get over eye level the whole way. The development in him from our coach and also Burge to work on his weaknesses and actually become strengths has been incredible. Also one of the hardest trainers at the club and all that hard work is starting to pay off. Is turning into an A grade midfielder.

Bursting away from stoppages, evading tackles, lace out passes that barely get over eye level the whole way.
And all for the low low price of pick 43.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Consistently has found another level now, doing some seriously good things far to often now. He looks so much stronger in every contest
Speaking of ‘stronger in contest’, it seems to me that Worps is not going to ground as much as before, and this is assisting with getting off a quick handball in traffic and follow up link play.

His grappling work looks to have given him the confidence to realise he has more time. He doesn’t need to rush dump kicks anymore because he knows that most times he will break a tackle. Genius. We don’t just have our Peter Crimmins medalist back, he’s gone up a level or more.

Love Worps. Many doubted he would come good when Mitchell left.

He has absolutely killed it these past 2 years, especially this year. His hands are so clean and his kicking has improved massively. Gun!

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

His grappling work looks to have given him the confidence to realise he has more time. He doesn’t need to rush dump kicks anymore because he knows that most times he will break a tackle. Genius. We don’t just have our Peter Crimmins medalist back, he’s gone up a level or more.

It's absolutely true.
Not sure if the rest on here realize what you're describing, but the reel showing him how to break tackles by forcing the tacklers arms up from his torso to his shoulders, which he then twists and shrugs off, is now a real strength.
Everything those on BF lose their minds over when some of our players drive up the tacklers arms into high free kicks or moments of escapism.
Personally, I love it. Worps has become a monster.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back