Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Josh Ward. Extends to 2025!

Remove this Banner Ad

Averaging 20 touches in the AFL is not easy, especially not for a second year. He is tracking very nicely and I can't believe a weak practice game has created the discourse it has. He's not been anywhere near missing the team outside like one game in his first year,and when he came back he got like 30 touches..at 19...

Comparison is the thief of joy, who cares about the players around him. Compare ward to ward. If he keeps improving then that's what we need to see, not him to arbitrarily be ranked higher than three players picked after him.

If he were drafted one pick earlier to the Crows he would be their #2 midfielder behind Dawson, easily. Just unfortunate we've got a logjam in that position.

I'm a bit baffled by the Ward criticism. His first 2 years have been pretty good. He showed some great signs last year. Some games he got some very high numbers.

I think the praccy matches have caused some angst to many HFC supporters atm about whether we are going to show improvement from last year as a team, with many directing this angst to Ward's own improvement question marks.

He is tracking perfectly fine for a Pick 7 who has only played 2 full seasons so far. Some are acting like he has done next to nothing in those 2 years. He is a quality kid who will continue to make those jumps. Confident on that.

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

If we are using 'averages 20 disposals' as a pass mark for a pick 7 we are in big trouble. Let me reiterate, I think Josh will be a good player, but he needs to start showing it very soon.
The North troll has wound you up in his web it seems.

Ward is doing just fine.

I'm a bit baffled by the Ward criticism. His first 2 years have been pretty good. He showed some great signs last year. Some games he got some very high numbers.

I think the praccy matches have caused some angst to many HFC supporters atm about whether we are going to show improvement from last year as a team, with many directing this angst to Ward's own improvement question marks.

He is tracking perfectly fine for a Pick 7 who has only played 2 full seasons so far. Some are acting like he has done next to nothing in those 2 years. He is a quality kid who will continue to make those jumps. Confident on that.

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk
Maybe we are overreacting to what was an abysmal showing from the team in a practice match, but honestly, we got absolutely belted. If they had kicked straight in the first quarter, we would have easily lost by 100.

Regarding Ward, I really just think this year, he needs to start improving quickly for this rebuild to be on track.

I reckon it’s more in his 3rd year there’s an expectation he’ll step up.

Signs to date suggested he’s likely more on track to be a good, consistent player rather than an elite mid that we’d hoped for with pick 7 - but he may be a slower burn / may surprise this year.

He does a lot of things well but doesn’t yet seem to have come together.

Personally, I don't think he's a winger. he's an onballer being played on the wing. He'd be much better suited to the midfield rotation. However, his spot is probably taken by Nash and Worpel and with Day coming back, he'll be pushed further back.
Frustating thing for a winger is you can get stuck on the fat side of a the ground a lot, and if the ball isn't being switched regularly, then its as dead a spot on the ground as being a forward pocket for much of the game.

In an ideal world, Ward and McKenzie will be in our starting midfield rotation by years end, then we'll see the best of Ward.

Last edited:
Reminds me of Andy Brayshaw, who was used by Ross Lyon as a 50% game time pure inside mid in his first year, then spent 25% of game time at HFF before going full time inside mid in year 3.

Many thought his disposal to be too “vanilla” - but Andy proved the knockers wrong.

I’d like to see Ward inside mid more and used in bursts with a bit of time at HF. Still, Sam has him playing a different role at this stage, but I feel a midfield shuffle will occur this year as we continue to sort wheat from chaff.

Trains all pre season as an inside mid and they play CMAC and Hustwaite over him in the practice games.

I'd be annoyed if I were him.
How do you know it was a matter of preference? It's a practice match, it's more likely they're just trying to see how Frenchie and Hust go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its not too far wrong the crows Midfield is the worst in the league.

Crouch(30), Laird(29), Dawson(27), Sloane(34), Keays(27), Soligo(21).

I'm taking Ward over everyone other than Laird and Dawson.
Soligo is a wingman, Sloane may never play again and Keays is a forward.

The rest of the Crows midfield is Rankine, Rachele, Pedlar and Berry.

I think Crouch plays before Ward, and all of Laird, Dawson, Rankine, Rachele and Pedlar certainly do.

I think Crouch plays before Ward, and all of Laird, Dawson, Rankine, Rachele and Pedlar certainly do.
Rankine and Rachele still play forward a lot, they're not mids yet and wouldn't get a fulltime mid gig over Ward.

You have NFI if you think Pedlar would either.

Literally no one bar Crows supporters would be taking Pedlar over Ward.

Pedlar has shown absolutely nothing as a midfielder to date - he did not play there last season and didn't even average 12 touches in his 21 games.

He had 12 touches in the practice match, whilst having 7 CBA's.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back