Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Josh Ward. Extends to 2025!

Remove this Banner Ad

Condon was a bull at his peak. Seen him pick fights with Oppo players behind the ball numerous times at the games I went to back then. Hardly spoke, just knew how to get the pill even if it meant flattening someone!! İnjuries absolutely ripped him at his prime though unfortunately.

Was he the one who ripped his hamstring trying to kick a dog up the arse?

Last edited:
Was he the one he ripped his hamstring trying to kick a dog up the arse?
That has to be one of the best queries I have ever heard! There is so much to unpack from so few words.

Someone please confirm this is is true.

That has to be one of the best queries I have ever heard! There is so much to unpack from so few words.

Someone please confirm this is is true.

Haha, I brought it up because for some reason I have a vague memory of this exact story being told on The Footy Show when I was a kid.

Somebody else may be able to actually confirm.

He’s got a fair amount of work to do - and the coaches are into him about “stoppage craft”.
He’s never going to be a tough inside mid like Newcombe or Worpel, but he should become more like an Anthony Condon type of player, or Clinton Young.

I had him marked down as a future captain, but that’s before Day emerged as our next leader.

I agree I’ve said this in another thread, he should in the off season become the gut runner type like Crawford, Bateman of this side and be something different from Worpel,Newcastle,Mackenzie.

I agree I’ve said this in another thread, he should in the off season become the gut runner type like Crawford, Bateman of this side and be something different from Worpel,Newcastle,Mackenzie.

I think being like McKenzie is a point of difference, both Ward and French are super neat kicks of the footy and more highly skilled than their teammates.

Once Ward believes in himself as much as a lot of us on the board here do, we're laughing.

Both have pace and the foot skills to set up our forwards when they find space.

I'd argue Mackenzie is so good that he's already influenced a lot of his teammates in that department. We're seeing Worpel and others copying his soft delivery style now and the improvement in accuracy is like comparing night and Day.

Bad pun, but the point about Ward having that same point of difference to Worpel and Newcombe holds true.

If someone can unlock the key to Ward's mindset we're in a really, really good space with the midfield.

Last edited:
I think being like McKenzie is a point of difference, both Ward and French are super neat kicks of the footy and more highly skilled than their teammates.

Once Ward believes in himself as much as a lot of us on the board here do, we're laughing.

Both have pace and the foot skills to set up our forwards at a very high level.

I'd argue McKenzie is so good on that front he's has already influenced a lot of his teammates in that department. We're seeing Worpel and others copying his soft delivery style now and the improvement in accuracy is like comparing night and Day.

OK so that's a bad pun, but the point about Ward having that same point of difference to Worpel and Newcombe holds true.

If someone can unlock the key to Ward's mindset we're in a really, really good space with the midfield.

And if someone could spell Cam Mackenzie's name properly, it would be a added bonus.

Both have pace and the foot skills to set up our forwards when they find space.

I'd argue Mackenzie is so good that he's already influenced a lot of his teammates in that department. We're seeing Worpel and others copying his soft delivery style now and the improvement in accuracy is like comparing night and Day.

Bad pun, but the point about Ward having that same point of difference to Worpel and Newcombe holds true.

Apparently Hawks Insiders had a chat with him and the result of that conversation seemed to centre around his heavily meticulous planning, probably links with how smart he actually is (99 ATAR).

Meticulously planning is fine as long as come gameday your thoughts aren’t about techniques, structures and decisions and more about seeing the ball and getting the ball, simplifying the game.

Separation of the front of mind (simplifying the game and playing at a high intensity) and back of mind (structure, decisions, techniques etc). Trusting the work done throughout the week and backing it in come gameday. Once it clicks it’ll be unreal for Josh and the playing group.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So good to see him get some genuine midfield time in the last quarter.

Looked great in there. Obviously the stint in the 2s has served him well.

Feel incredibly relaxed when he has the ball in space, nails those 25-40m kicks.

Thought he looked noticeably faster and stronger in the contest as well. Very agile with ball in hand.

If he can really kick on, our midfield will be in the top echelons of the league.

Feel incredibly relaxed when he has the ball in space, nails those 25-40m kicks.

Thought he looked noticeably faster and stronger in the contest as well. Very agile with ball in hand.

If he can really kick on, our midfield will be in the top echelons of the league.

If Ward and Mackenzie can improve one or two levels, and our core group continues to gain cohesion, we'd have an incredibly strong and skilled midfield unit.

They both have time and have shown fantastic signs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Josh Ward. Extends to 2025!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back