Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Lloyd Meek

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi, I've come out of posting retirement just to let you know how highly I rate this guy. Just coming into his own now, all that development under Sandiland's coaching, and was aways very competitive against Darcy in training, have seen him lower Darcy's colours. Really mobile, but can gas out a bit quickly at AFL level, though that was quickly improving. Impacts games heavily in 10 minute bursts. Does not think like a ruckman, gets the ball in contested play and believes he is Sam Switkowski for 5 seconds. Completely tore Natanui apart this year on ball a couple of times, and will develop even more strength going forward. He is a top bloke from all accounts, and you will love him. Got cult figure written all over him, and deserves a real fair go at the bigs from the Hawks. Get him in your 2023 Fantasy side for sure.
Really pleased to see this guy get a sustained run at it and show what he can offer at the top level. Pity it's not for us, but we'll live.

Another great vid by the club, when big meeky becomes a man watch out, his going to be frightening. Good to see more of him.

Theirs a very small snippet of some warm up training and the kick from Massimo is so nonchalant and pure, may have watched that a few times.
Doing very well.

Not prepared to write off Reeves yet, as he's younger and newer to the game, but so good to have Meek dominating (oxymoron?) and can see him hopefully continuing to improve!

I was all in on Reeves at the start of the year, but I don't see how Meek loses his spot now. I think the hitouts the advantage stat is one of the most overrated in the AFL, given the way the game seems to be heading.
Meek’s mongrel, marking and that bloody goal in the last game.

I’m sold personally.

I wonder whether Meek could ever be a trialled in the forward line though. He’s a beast

Really pleased to see this guy get a sustained run at it and show what he can offer at the top level. Pity it's not for us, but we'll live.
Meek's been a revelation this year - what we hoped for in getting a powerfully built, mobile ruckman. It's what quite a number of Freo supporters suggested he could become but it's only this year that he's really been firing consistently and having a real impact.

He's obviously a hard worker and been working on aspects of his game in the VFL but another big part of his improvement is he seems a whole lot fitter, to my mind at least.

Last edited:
Still a head scratcher that we played Reeves for so long. Maybe it was tied to his father's exit package ?

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk
The rule change has killed off Reeves atm. He gave us a huge ride last year just off the back of having first use of the ball. Our mids were the best part of our team last season and the change before the season nullified that advantage.

I'm not sure we planned for the change prior to R1 but it was very evident against Goldy and Gawn, 2 equally as big but much stronger rucks, that the change affected our chances of dominating the centre square contests and getting first use of the ball. Our mids seemed to think what happened last year would happen this year too but Reeves was disadvantaged and our mids lost out.

When Meek came in, they then had to work out how to play to Meeks strengths ie wrestling and where he is likely to direct the tap, and it has become better each week he's played. Outside of the GC game, he's been very good and our mids are starting to get their mojo back. (Will Day could also play a part in this too)

Reeves, last year, was utilising the then rules to great effect for our young mids though.

The rule change has killed off Reeves atm. He gave us a huge ride last year just off the back of having first use of the ball. Our mids were the best part of our team last season and the change before the season nullified that advantage.

I'm not sure we planned for the change prior to R1 but it was very evident against Goldy and Gawn, 2 equally as big but much stronger rucks, that the change affected our chances of dominating the centre square contests and getting first use of the ball. Our mids seemed to think what happened last year would happen this year too but Reeves was disadvantaged and our mids lost out.

When Meek came in, they then had to work out how to play to Meeks strengths ie wrestling and where he is likely to direct the tap, and it has become better each week he's played. Outside of the GC game, he's been very good and our mids are starting to get their mojo back. (Will Day could also play a part in this too)

Reeves, last year, was utilising the then rules to great effect for our young mids though.
A lot of players let us down against GC but Meek wasn't one of them.

Hitouts are one thing but what is very evident is that Meek is a much more influential player than Reeves in general play.

Meeks gives us a physical presence at the contest and he is actually pretty good with his hands once he gets the ball in the packs (kinda like a giant sized Sam Mitchell). He's also starting to drag in some contested marks and is kicking goals.

That's why I think Reeves will really struggle to get back in the team. If we assume that the new rules have roughly made Meek and Reeves even hitouts Meeksy is miles ahead of Reeves in all other aspects of the game. And given Reeves athletic profile I really struggle to see how he ever will TBH.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

“I like ruckmen who don’t want to be something else but a ruckman,” King told SEN Breakfast.

“We have got these ruckmen at the moment that think they can grab the ball out of the ruck and become the clearance beast.

“‘Briggsy’ (Kieren Briggs), Rowan Marshall, ‘Pitto’ (Marc Pittonet)… stop it!

“Grab it and give it to the little blokes. The guys that have got the skill and the ability to break from stoppage.”

Although Max Gawn currently stands alone as the general standout ruckman in the competition, it has been 26-year-old Lloyd Meek that has caught the eye of the AFL champion.

“(Meek) is a hit out man. He’s a tap-ologist”, he said.

“He is in the top three or four ruckmen in the competition right now.

“They are all a long way behind Max (Gawn). The nomination for who is the second-best ruckman in the comp is a good discussion.”

Where do these ratings come from?

Is it a composite score from a number of different fields (possessions, scores, hit outs, marks, hit out to advantage etc.), all with different weighting?

Thanks! But that's a lot of reading for a Sunday morning.

In hindsight, I guess I was looking more for a yes/no kinda response :tearsofjoy:
In short, a player's involvement in a game is rated based on the quality of the outcome of their actions. Difficult things that result in scores for their team are rated very highly, while things that result in turnovers or scores against detract from the rating.

It's a system that was designed to measure impact on a game so that players like Cyril could be compared to all those midfielders that would wrack up 30+ touches every week.

And if that was tl;dr then... "yes" :poo:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back