Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Nick 'the Wizard' Watson!

Remove this Banner Ad

he needs to be dropped to find something...'boat load of talent' I have not seen at all at this level. not sure why he is given such a free ride. a stint at box hill will show if he is bust or a boom.
I can't tell if this is being serious or sarcastic??

If it's serious, we must be watching different games.

I'd prefer if his nickname was 'Never Miss at Goal' but other than that I'm glad we have him. Reckon he's part of the nucleus of our team. He's not alone with this but once the skill levels match the enthusiasm we are going to be hard to stop IMO.

you can see the talent, he's found the ability to get multiple shots at goal a game, and his pressure has been good.
I don't think he's really found his feet with the jump up in pace, but hes not far off. Not sure going back to Box hill helps him find it either. Keep persisting and the talent will rise above.

His best stuff has been when he doesn't have time to think: pressure acts, quick handballs in tight etc. He's contributing well in that regard. His errors seem to come when he has time to think: set shots, running shots and decision making / execution after a run or in space. The poor finishing is getting a little frustrating but it should fix itself if he can get out of his own way. I'd rather persist and hope it clicks in the AFL with 4 goals+ than in the VFL as I don't think the latter will fix the confidence issue.

Really like the kid, and his second efforts around the ball are excellent.
Gotta remember the sheer amount of shots on goal his having at what his 6th game of AFL footy.
It will come eventually.
I guess you could make an argument for him to go get some confidence in the 2s, but like Dear I think we just play the kids each and every week.

His best stuff has been when he doesn't have time to think: pressure acts, quick handballs in tight etc. He's contributing well in that regard. His errors seem to come when he has time to think: set shots, running shots and decision making / execution after a run or in space. The poor finishing is getting a little frustrating but it should fix itself if he can get out of his own way. I'd rather persist and hope it clicks in the AFL with 4 goals+ than in the VFL as I don't think the latter will fix the confidence issue.

Agree. I love his efforts (and second efforts) at the contest and around the ball. He is giving it everything every week and is desperate to make a contribution.

In his first 6 games of AFL footy has had 15 shots on goal (plus a couple out on the full I think!). I'd like to think he's not far away from having a 3-4 goal game and getting some confidence to go with that effort.

Really like the kid, and his second efforts around the ball are excellent.
Gotta remember the sheer amount of shots on goal his having at what his 6th game of AFL footy.
It will come eventually.
I guess you could make an argument for him to go get some confidence in the 2s, but like Dear I think we just play the kids each and every week.

Your post exactly what I was thinking - made my post redundant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I said this during the game but I think a run in the VFL would benefit him greatly. As good as he has been defensively his general play and kicking for goal needs work and a few weeks at Box Hill would do wonders for him.

I'd prefer him at AFL level. Think he brings a lot to the team, but will improve over time. Seems to play a little rushed, when he might have more time. Will be a champ, in time.

P.S. Gotta be careful for having an opinion on suggesting he go to Box Hill. 🤣

I'd prefer him at AFL level. Think he brings a lot to the team, but will improve over time. Seems to play a little rushed, when he might have more time. Will be a champ, in time.

Gotta be careful phrasing it correctly

Not like a troll

Best way for him to settle to AFL level is have him play AFL level.

His contributions week in and week out have been AFL standard. He just goes at a million miles an hour and needs to work out he has a bit more time.

The coaches need to drum into him he does not have to do everything at 100 miles an hour.

I'm of the opposite thinking with the Wiz. He got to where he is with his quick thinking and quick feet. I want him playing off instinct and just go the first option.

It seems like he gets in trouble hesitating taking the first option and looking for something better which takes away his time and space, of which there is very little as a small forward at AFL level.

He's trying to play too perfect while playing at a 100 miles an hour which is almost impossible to do, needs to be one or the other. Just needs to simplify things and do the basics a bit better.

It will come with time. I want the Wiz to have the license to do what he does. We need that creativity and X-factor.

Everyone needs to just relax lol.

Go and put the wiz into the compare players feature on the AFL app with Bobby Hill. Their averages are near on identical in every single category besides the finishing aspect. Watson even has hill covered in score launches. This is a 6 gamer. It’s going to click

I remember listening to Roughie's bio last year, and he said very early on, that it took him a few years to truly feel like he belonged at the top level and feel like he was a first team player, and could bring a consistent product week-in, week-out.

Wiz is right at the start of his professional journey and is probably just running each week on gut instinct. Give him time - he is bloody talented and it will show in sparks this year. Just get excited, as if he's getting this many shots on goal this early, he is going to be huge for us going forward.

He's got the same quick-twitch zip that I haven't seen in this team since Junior. Obviously, he's a long way off his level but he excites me in the same way. Creates goals and opportunities from half chances. He's so exciting and remember the same feeling when I watched him in the Coates league last year.

When he gets the ball you can almost see his brain is racing too quickly. Coaches need to settle him and remind him he is probably already thinking faster than most and that he doesnt need to speed things up even further. He is rushing himself as a result.

He has good straight line speed but I would be encouraging him to take opposition players on with his lateral movement, jinking left and right to buy more time and space within goal shooting distances.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back