Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Lloyd Meek

Remove this Banner Ad

The week off has done him wonders. Would have been very sore having played majority solo ruck for a full season for the first time in his career.

Absolutely dominated last night.

It was noticeable whenever he was having a rest and we had Weddle / Nash / Chol in the ruck just how much we rely on the big unit.
I thought Nash was great as backup, Weddle didn't work and we corrected that fairly quickly though.

I thought Nash was great as backup, Weddle didn't work and we corrected that fairly quickly though.
Nash was decent enough and certainly fought hard in the ruck but whenever Lloyd was resting I felt the game swung towards the Doggies around the ball.

He's just such a physical beast he makes space for our midfielders and his tap work is absolutely top notch these days.

He pretty much played the ultimate ruckmans game last night. He dominated in the ruck, dominated in the air, contributed around the ground and kicked a vital first quarter goal.

He's vying with Sicily for our most irreplaceable player at the moment for mine.

Nash was decent enough and certainly fought hard in the ruck but whenever Lloyd was resting I felt the game swung towards the Doggies around the ball.

He's just such a physical beast he makes space for our midfielders and his tap work is absolutely top notch these days.

He pretty much played the ultimate ruckmans game last night. He dominated in the ruck, dominated in the air, contributed around the ground and kicked a vital first quarter goal.

He's vying with Sicily for our most irreplaceable player at the moment for mine.
i love Meek's follow up work rate, its like a giant mid hustling in the centre of the ground. A force to be reckoned with, even if it was a push or a shove or a tap or a slap to move the ball forward the energy of his momentum that he brings is palpable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i love Meek's follow up work rate, its like a giant mid hustling in the centre of the ground. A force to be reckoned with, even if it was a push or a shove or a tap or a slap to move the ball forward the energy of his momentum that he brings is palpable.
Going back to my high school physics but Force = Mass x Velocity. A 203cm 110kg unit takes some stopping once he gets moving in other words!

Aside from his sheer size and power I am also impressed with his sneaky good kicking and deft handballs. As you say it's like we have an extra (extra) big midfielder on the field.

Going back to my high school physics but Force = Mass x Velocity. A 203cm 110kg unit takes some stopping once he gets moving in other words!

Aside from his sheer size and power I am also impressed with his sneaky good kicking and deft handballs. As you say it's like we have an extra (extra) big midfielder on the field.
No it doesn't it equals mass x acceleration.

Needs to legally change his name to Monster. Absolute destroyer!

Monsters Inc Disney GIF by filmeditor

Meek is one very powerful example of dreams we've had as supporters about particular players that have turned into reality this year. He has been unbelievably good. So pleased for him and us!

Ah yes Physics was never my strongest subject 😬
Momentum is mass x velocity.

Both applicable to this though. The faster he is moving, the greater the acceleration required to stop him in any given time. So the more momentum he has the greater the force needed to stop him.

Considering that he's a man mountain it's incredible that he is able to shimmy, sell candy and break through the lines! Absolute athletic freak!
I think he sells candy so well because the opposition players are always so surprised to see a walking mountain attempt such an audacious move. Whenever he does it as well it always opens up the play a lot as he can go for a short 10m burst and then kick it long to a target.

That was one of the things last year that made me think he had the potential to overtake Reeves this year. A couple of times in 2023 I saw him attempt to sell candy / burst away from a pack and whilst he wasn't always successful in these attempts it made me think this guy has a few tricks up his sleeve that most rucks don't.

Momentum is mass x velocity.

Both applicable to this though. The faster he is moving, the greater the acceleration required to stop him in any given time. So the more momentum he has the greater the force needed to stop him.

A couple of times Meek had the ball and ploughed through their tackles, but when our smalls laid tackles on their big players they clung on and wouldnt let go.

Strong, fit, skilled, focussed. Mitchell really is extracting everything from the entire team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Lloyd Meek

Remove this Banner Ad

Back