Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn - Mabior Chol

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn't think he was wrong. Chol has been brilliant for us this year and stood up where we needed, but the kind of football played in finals needs big men who can compete in the air like maniacs. It's a part of his game that could definitely be improved. I hope he can do so.

I didn't think he was wrong. Chol has been brilliant for us this year and stood up where we needed, but the kind of football played in finals needs big men who can compete in the air like maniacs. It's a part of his game that could definitely be improved. I hope he can do so.
And there’s no reason to think he can’t improve with another year in our system and a poor finals series to motivate him to go up another level.

He was disappointing in finals without ignoring what he produced during the season. Not marking is still okay but competing is must. At one point in finals I thought Chole should have been subbed out instead of Gunston.
Lobb takes intercept marks every week against better key forwards than Chol. But if Chol sticks the marks that he did get to he'd have takes 3-4 and probably have had 3 goals and nobody would say Lobb "dominated him" he was beaten but also dropped some of his own (which by the way did lead to goals for our smalls)

Against Port Adelaide we had such poor entries.

Chol is not meant to be the number 1 forward. He's the forward/ ruck. Lewis and Dear are key forwards.

Lots of shoulda coulda woulda but he had 2 poor finals games after a very fine year. Looking for a similar or improved Chol next year but one in which if we do play finals he can be of more value in. Shoulda taken a few more marks & coulda kicked 3 or more goals & woulda not be discussing how unfortunate it was that his last 2 games detract a bit from an impressive year he had.
Will he be better for it in finals again? Maybe, maybe not but he's got some work to do & hopefully he can keep getting better

So did Weddle, so reckon people are being very harsh on Mabior here.

Moore as well.

All three boys play either a very physical position or a physical game style.

They would possibly have carried some niggles going in.

Moore as well.

All three boys play either a very physical position or a physical game style.

They would possibly have carried some niggles going in.
True, Moore was uncharacteristically quiet both finals. I also noticed Calsher and Sic looked a bit proppy so reckon we had a few sore and tired players out there Fri night.

If you listen to Hoyne throughout out the season you’d know he’s all about having a game that stacks up in finals footy which is generally played differently to most H&A games.

This extends to individual player performances. That’s why he’d focus on a player like Chol who plays a key role and failed to perform in the finals. He’d be aware of how well he performed throughout the year but for him it’s all about finals performances.

I thought Chol, Gunston, Moore and Weddle all had a poor finals series, but Chol was probably the best of that lot.

Dear and Croc were good the first week but quiet the second.

Wiz the only forward to stand up both games.

Reckon people are lining up the wrong bloke here. Re- Hoyne. Blokes been banging on about our profile been the best, even after the SF loss. Chol had a fantastic season but poor finals. No need to get all triggered.
I think the problem is that rather than saying Hawthorn need Mitch Lewis back to his best, or need to improve their tall forwards. He makes it personal and puts all the blame on 1 player who's role is to be a forward/ruck.

In both finals he did compete well in the ruck, he was a presence in the air. He's never going to be a hulking forward, but he can jump on heads, which he kept doing.

He wasn't at his best, but he was trying. He is in the top handful in the comp for forward pressure, not just from key forwards but all forwards.

Chol isn't a problem we need to fix, the issue is that Gunston either has an okay game taking out an interceptor and getting a few goals, or he has 2 nothing touches. Mitch Lewis barely played. And Calsher Dear needs a few pre seasons in order to have the strength to beat the best key defenders.

Chol's role is secure he does it as well as any in the comp, he isn't and never was meant to be 1 of our 2 key forward targets. Lewis + recruit was always the plan. Now it's probably Lewis + Dear

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn - Mabior Chol

Remove this Banner Ad

Back