Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Massimo D'Ambrosio

Remove this Banner Ad

We nailed all our recruits, Chol and Ginny not in AA talks but all 3 of them have added something special to this group. Would love to see D’Ambrosio get AA but would rather all three get a medal.

Essendon board posters still trying to convince themselves that Mass weaknesses are just being covered over by wins.

"Duursma's been just as good" 😂

I still see them talking about how we structure up to account for Massimo's lack of defensive accountability.

Pretty sure I saw him put his body on the line vs North 6 times in the first quarter alone, along with going back with the flight to take two strong defensive marks.

I still see them talking about how we structure up to account for Massimo's lack of defensive accountability.

Pretty sure I saw him put his body on the line vs North 6 times in the first quarter alone, along with going back with the flight to take two strong defensive marks.
Yeah we are not covering his weaknesses, he is legitimately one of our more well rounded players. I feel totally comfortable with him on both sides of the ball.

Totally agree. The Bombers excuses and justification for letting him go don't stack up when watching him play.

Surely you can quickly tell on the training track if a player is soft or defensively lacking? That club have no idea

The biggest surprise for me is his fierce tackles, this young man is as brave as he is talented. I love watching him play. When it’s his turn to go he goes hard.
Yep... 100%... and don't forget his footy IQ. I cannot remember him making a bad decision.
Add to that the coverage that he provides from the wing for our defence. And then his work rate to get into the fwd line to find an "out the back" dangerous position (and so has to be defended - opening up the fwd 50 for our fwds). If the oppo's fail to man him, he kicks goals.

Such a weapon.

Last edited:
Loving his work at the Hawks. He has a well-rounded game... willing to get back, can accumulate, reliable in front of goal, provides good run and has a laser left foot. The thing that impresses me most though, is his toughness. I wouldn't have picked him for being a tough bastard, but he has put his body on the line many times and shown genuine toughness all season - it shines through in some of those grabs he takes too. There are many examples, but one i do remember is someone from WCE cleaning him up in a marking contest. His toughness is something I really respect and the aspect of his game i appreciate most - it's a good way to win friends when you change clubs, so it's been an important asset of his imo.

1 Great thing that the bombers thread reminded me of is that we could've gotten him as a DFA for nothing but instead traded pick 61 (which Essendon didn't use AND we wouldn't have used) And Collingwoods 4th round pick this year, likely not to be used.

But what the trade means is we essentially did get him for nothing but as he wasn't a DFA he won't qualify as a DFA for his entire career. Dylan Moore for example was de-listed then rookie listed then elevated. Now everytime he's out of contract he is an unrestricted free agent.

So we have saved ourselves the worry of our 2x 2024 AA players being delisted free agents.

I'll die on the hill that we shouldn't give AA selections any merit at all.

These are the selectors:
Andrew Dillon (Chair), Eddie Betts, Jude Bolton, Nathan Buckley, Kane Cornes, Abbey Holmes, Glen Jakovich, Matthew Pavlich, Laura Kane and Josh Mahoney.

2 x AFL administrators. 7 former AFL players and 1 former AFLW player.

Our very own coach who is one of if not the most decorated player in our history, only has three AA selections in a period where Geelong players had to sneeze and they'd get an AA back flank. Sicily snub 2 years ago was the final straw.
I'd say it does not matter: the AA team is just a Bigfooty chat on steroids, but I believe (happy to be told that I am wrong) that some clubs give bonuses to players who get an AA selection. I truely hope that does not happen at the Hawks. Watching Chol give the "Joe the Goose" handball to Gunston was awesome. Chol had every right to kick the goal himself, but the team thing was to give the handball. And if you watch his eyes, he never thought about anything else than doing the team thing (for me that was one of the highlights of the day). That is the stuff that matters.

AA selection is about appeasement for the supporters of every team. They try to get a player from every team in there and the so-called, "Super Stars" in as well. Massi will not be in the team even though he is rated by every metric and commentator, with Gulden, as one of the two best wingers in the comp. And that does not matter. Why?

Because the AA team is just a bit of fun.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1 Great thing that the bombers thread reminded me of is that we could've gotten him as a DFA for nothing but instead traded pick 61 (which Essendon didn't use AND we wouldn't have used) And Collingwoods 4th round pick this year, likely not to be used.

But what the trade means is we essentially did get him for nothing but as he wasn't a DFA he won't qualify as a DFA for his entire career. Dylan Moore for example was de-listed then rookie listed then elevated. Now everytime he's out of contract he is an unrestricted free agent.

So we have saved ourselves the worry of our 2x 2024 AA players being delisted free agents.
I reckon if you got a knife and cut Moorey open then it would flow brown and gold blood. He's one guy that I'm comfortable having that status every time he's OOC.

As for Mass and the way they dropped the ball on his contract terms it is oh so sweet. When that article got released in trade period last year when it became to the fore that we didn't actually have to give up anything it was so funny and I reckon Dodo would be cringing with how well Mass is doing. Even though there still a bunch of cheating drug pigs we still took the high road and threw them some cookie crumbs 😂

Last edited:
You're all wrong! You see, that buffoon Brad Johnson doesn't think he's quite there yet! Hmm, I would agree if
1. I knew nothing about football
2. I gave any credence to his opinions or so called expertise that are no different to a steaming pile of shit !!

Absolutely. He will surely be in the squad?

Gulden will get one wing position, but they will give the other to someone like Treloar, Zerrett, Naicos, Butters or Sheezel perhaps.

They'll give it to a midfielder. But I reckon another running defender would be more realistic and deserving. Guys like Whitfield, Clark, Holmes, Houston, etc. spend plenty of time out on the wings.

If not D'Ambrosio then I'd love to see Flanders get in the side, he's had an incredible season and hasn't had a single quiet or poor game.
Yeah Flanders is a great shout. Perfect example of a player who has had an elite season but is but a 'Hollywood ' player

Sent from my SM-G990E using Tapatalk

I reckon if you got a knife and cut Moorey open then it would flow brown and gold blood. He's one guy that I'm comfortable having that status every time he's OOC.

As for Mass and the way they dropped the ball on his contract terms it is oh so sweet. When that article got released in trade period last year when it became to the fore that we didn't actually have to give up anything it was so funny and I reckon Dodo would be cringing with how well Mass is doing. Even though there still a bunch of cheating drug pigs we still took the high road and threw them some cookie crumbs 😂

DODO offered him a 1 year rookie deal!!!

Not enough money left after Stringer, Shiel, Wright, Gresham, McKay Weiterman, Goldstein, Dursma and Kelly.

laughing-haha.gif

Last edited:
""Massimo Dambrosio...was never going to be in our starting premiership side and that was clear then as it is now."

fair though. the players in their premiership side haven't been born yet.
Exactly.

Their "starting premiership side"...:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Have been winding a few folks up in the AA thread.

The one thing that became apparent when people started quoting stats, was that when you compared whoever they were throwing up to Mass, it was actually favorable to him even when you counted contested ball.

Even when said players were ball winning mids, he was ahead of them at the stage of his career he's at.

We're talking Mitch Duncan, Zach Merrett etc.

Have been winding a few folks up in the AA thread.

The one thing that became apparent when people started quoting stats, was that when you compared whoever they were throwing up to Mass, it was actually favorable to him even when you counted contested ball.

Even when said players were ball winning mids, he was ahead of them at the stage of his career he's at.

We're talking Mitch Duncan, Zach Merrett etc.
Reckon you went a little too hard with this argument. Probably could have toned it down slightly.

That said, some of those you were arguing with aren't the brightest sparks. WalshistheGOAT struggles with just about everything and ArtVandelay arguing that prime Duncan is a better kick than Mass is just a special kind of stupid.

Reckon you went a little too hard with this argument. Probably could have toned it down slightly.

That said, some of those you were arguing with aren't the brightest sparks. WalshistheGOAT struggles with just about everything and ArtVandelay arguing that prime Duncan is a better kick than Mass is just a special kind of stupid.

Fair point, I find it hard to accommodate the great unwashed out there on the main board and go too hard, which doesn't come across at all well.

I seriously doubt these guys have even watched a full game from Mass. Or at least, they haven't seen his best games in their entirety.

The Duncan kicking argument was just silly. I think a lot of those guys also forget that guys like Mitch came into a team where all the attention was being focussed on Selwood, Ablett, Dangerfield and their other big name players.

Massimo is blue collar, pretty much like every player on our list. Mitchell has pointed to it being our identity. This year he's done it the old fashioned way, and often earned every kick.

He's been also been one that's helped turn the tide, and he's often played to his optimum even when we've lost.

I think that is lost on any number of people, but particularly with fans of the teams we have a history with.

Duncan was an elite kick for the majority of his career. Though I do think Mass is a better and more penetrative kick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Massimo D'Ambrosio

Remove this Banner Ad

Back