Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn: Mitchell Lewis. Extended to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd sign him on a 5 year thumper.
Agree. He's everything you could ask for in a primary KPF. Makes contests, follows up the ground ball, chases, sticks marks, kicks straight. The fact he has leadership is the cherry on top. Doesn't matter where he was drafted, he's playing like a top 5 pick KPF.

My measure of quality for new players is if they could slot in to our three peat best 22.

Lewis would.
Huge call. Hard to argue he wouldn’t be kicking 2+ more goals a game with the midfield delivery of that era. A better overhead and contested mark than Roughy and Bud with similar (if not better) goal kicking accuracy.

Roughy would have to play ruck/fwd as I couldn’t drop him.

Huge call. Hard to argue he wouldn’t be kicking 2+ more goals a game with the midfield delivery of that era. A better overhead and contested mark than Roughy and Bud with similar (if not better) goal kicking accuracy.

Roughy would have to play ruck/fwd as I couldn’t drop him.

Roughy finally to CHB ;)

He will kick 10 one day!
Hawthorn are the only side for the year that have not won a single inside 50 count in any match.
Despite this he’s averaging 3 goals a game which is great work.

Imagine what Lewis could do with some improved midfield service.

589ABF97-3ECA-4655-AC00-AC8C1400BC46.jpeg

Was very good below his knees today

Thought the same thing. Two things concerned me about Lewis in his first season or two, and that was that 1) He didn't throw his body in hard enough for a guy his size and 2) He was next to useless once the ball hit the ground. Hard to remember why either of those things worried me after watching the game today. To turn such a late pick into a very good forward is a testament both to the player AND the coaching staff IMO, has clearly worked hard on his deficiencies, and made the most of his strengths.

Hawthorn are the only side for the year that have not won a single inside 50 count in any match.

View attachment 1417613

Gee look at the size of Max King's head. It's got to be at least 1/7 Puopolo's in length.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How much damage did the club do by trading in Jonno Patton? Set back Mitch's self belief by twelve months.

The club wanted Patton to be the number 1 forward, so that Lewis could get the number 2 tall and continue to develop.

Instead he had to go it alone with Kosi last year.

View attachment 1417613
Mitchell Lewis Goal Accuracy: 69.2%
Max King Goal Accuracy: 52.5%
Max King has had 22 more shots at goal, yet, he only has 5 more goals than Mitchell Lewis.
Their play and stats show that Mitchell Lewis is better. AND THAT'S A FACT!

6.5% of Hawthorn inside 50's lead to Lewis kicking a goal.(same conversion rate with Melbourne's inside 50 numbers would be 46 goals cross the first 12 weeks)
5.7% of Saints inside 50's lead to king kicking a goal.
5.7% of Richmond's inside 50's lead to Lynch kicking a goal.
5.6% of Geelong's inside 50's lead to Cameron kicking a goal.
4.8% of Geelong's inside 50's lead to Hawkins kicking a goal.
4.3% of the Lion's inside 50's lead to Cameron kicking a goal
4.3% of the Dog's inside 50's lead to Naughton kicking a goal

Total team averages

Lions 27.6%
Hawthorn 26.6%
Richmond 26.6%
Saints 24.6%
Bulldogs 23%
Cats 22.9%
Melbourne 21.6%

Reference Hawthorn are 15th for average inside 50's but are 10th for scoring, second best conversion rate.

These numbers tell me that Lewis isnt just being feed goals due to being our only target, increase of inside 50's should see a boost in his scoring.

Last edited:
i called it after his breakout season.
Average ~2 contested marks per game is elite, and to do that with an under-developed body, low fitness base and a lack of experience just showed he had the potential. Also genuine hunger for winning and goals.

It took 3 years longer than I thought it would, but here we goooo....

From meme to machine!
He's a TOP player.

6.5% of Hawthorn inside 50's lead to Lewis kicking a goal.(same conversion rate with Melbourne's inside 50 numbers would be 46 goals cross the first 12 weeks)
5.7% of Saints inside 50's lead to king kicking a goal.
5.7% of Richmond's inside 50's lead to Lynch kicking a goal.
5.6% of Geelong's inside 50's lead to Cameron kicking a goal.
4.8% of Geelong's inside 50's lead to Hawkins kicking a goal.
4.3% of the Lion's inside 50's lead to Cameron kicking a goal
4.3% of the Dog's inside 50's lead to Naughton kicking a goal

Total team averages

Lions 27.6%
Hawthorn 26.6%
Richmond 26.6%
Saints 24.6%
Bulldogs 23%
Cats 22.9%
Melbourne 21.6%

Reference Hawthorn are 15th for average inside 50's but are 10th for scoring, second best conversion rate.

These numbers tell me that Lewis isnt just being feed goals due to being our only target, increase of inside 50's should see a boost in his scoring.
Good stats. Great work.

Mitch Lewis is growing by the week
For the seventh time in nine games in 2022, the young Hawthorn spearhead slotted at least three goals, this time kicking four on All-Australian Darcy Moore in the Hawks' narrow loss to Collingwood to move to 27.9 for the year, taking his chances in difficult conditions. The 23-year-old was taken with the second last pick – pick No.76 – in the 2016 NAB AFL Draft and continues to loom as the steal of that draft class. Only eight players have kicked more goals than Lewis in 2022. They include players with the surname Cameron, Curnow, Hawkins, King, Lynch and Naughton. Not bad company for someone with only 45 games on the board. - Josh Gabelich

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn: Mitchell Lewis. Extended to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back