Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn: Mitchell Lewis. Extended to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

He’s going somewhere else at the end of 2024 the way he’s playing. Never seen a player so disinterested, bloody shame he’s a leader in a young group.
I wouldn't say that. He is most likely injured (and reported as much after today) and most likely has been injured in all three games so far to some extent and was simply managed. Assuming this is the case then this is a poor post.

I'm disappointed for both Mitch and the club. When he's flying he's up there with the best KPP in the league. I think (assume) it's his own confidence in his body, rather than a lack of effort. Not sure why/how he has regressed so much. Or is it just that clubs are working him out more? Really needed a boost from him and Jai.

not sure he ends his career at the hawks now, would be worth enough in a trade.

Just has not worked hard enough to start the year combined with his offseason trip to Vegas and now the soft tissue injury I’d say his put his hand up for not really giving a stuff. Maybe all in isolation but the lack of effort in games has been far to noticeable.

Sometimes it takes moving clubs for players to get the most out of themselves and Mitch might be in this group.

We don’t need a sometimes key forward…

not sure he ends his career at the hawks now, would be worth enough in a trade.

Just has not worked hard enough to start the year combined with his offseason trip to Vegas and now the soft tissue injury I’d say his put his hand up for not really giving a stuff. Maybe all in isolation but the lack of effort in games has been far to noticeable.

Sometimes it takes moving clubs for players to get the most out of themselves and Mitch might be in this group.

We don’t need a sometimes key forward…
Horrendous

Just Horrendous

Good nomination for worst post of the year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He has been injured since Rd.1 and has been pushing through

Poor Post

It kind of raises an interesting question though, the general public don’t know this information so what are we supposed to think? He’s been shithouse so far, and if he’s hampered that sucks but I guess if you put yourself out there you should be ready to cop whatever criticism you get if you’re not performing

It kind of raises an interesting question though, the general public don’t know this information so what are we supposed to think? He’s been shithouse so far, and if he’s hampered that sucks but I guess if you put yourself out there you should be ready to cop whatever criticism you get if you’re not performing
I think we as fans should have more awareness that creating a pile on to a player who is down on form

Should be better

I think we as fans should have more awareness that creating a pile on to a player who is down on form

Should be better
LOL, this is Big Footy. Have you not seen the Game Day or Autopsy threads. This is where we throw down, shoot the messenger and kill three players with one post.
If Mitch was injured, or Punky, man up and sit the game out. That doesn't make us better as a team of you don't so you cop the flak coming your way.
If the injury is new, that's really sucks for them but there's no denying their form has been poor and some supporters feel it's their right to call that out.
I'm not of the belief that calling someone out is necessary but am that they shouldn't put their hands up to not play if injured.

Explain his want for the contest?

Because other than just making assumptions based off limited viewing, its interesting
Here are my issues and excuse the early 2000s quality Kayo wouldn't let me do screenshots;

This is not all on Lewis as well, if his injured and the club played him that's just idiotic, but if he's not and that's how his being coached to play I am bamboozled.

Dees Match:

It was this play I started watching him closer, let Petracca spoil him without marking the ball with his body or knee into Petracca either drawing the free or marking the ball. Can he not run at the ball?
1712386945294.png

And on rewatch you see Hardwick doing the same things when his forward; Slightly less space and on a defender though
1712387003813.png

On rewatch of the dees match he loves wrestling behind packs and not leading, so either his injured here or just not working hard enough to get on the lead.

Geelong Match:
This game was the reason for my post.

Here's Lewis wrestling behind the player again, drops the mark to, Chol was leading into the play and would have had an easier mark if Lewis wasn't stagnant, ginny at his feet if he was looking to drop the mark in his path to...
1712387277543.png

Here's Lewis playing behind in every play to either go on and try push his opponent out of the contest or just time it to late and run into his opponent with no knee up or at the drop of the ball; In the last image you will see Ginny is already aware the ball is going past the contest and trying to get out the back but Lewis gives away the free.
1712387478812.png

A few more of him being edged out, playing at the back avoiding the contest or running under the ball; Notice the first image he raises a knee when theirs a paddock of space in front of him. In the last image he is already edged under the play because he lead to early; Ginny is always around the contest to, so if Lewis was aware some of these may have turned into chances.
1712387726168.png

Heres Lewis attempting to fly for a mark but get a foot off the ground for the Geelong player to hit the contest at the highest point; The interesting part here is no Lewis in our forward line might open up room for Chol and Ginny to shine, on rewatch Chol is even better, no Lewis would allow him to fly for marks.
1712387974165.png

And not all bad here's the one good mark Lewis took flying in from the side, he still doesn't raise a knee; This is where question marks of our coaching should be asked though, Lewis is a good player when he leads, plays hard and can run at the ball up the ground and double back, why play him to wrestle out the back if he was injured and causing another injury - or is he just so out of form due to his poor conditioning that he is not hitting the contest at the ball drop and that resulted in an injury, both equally bad.
1712388118897.png

But this is what made me go wtf; Smallest player on the ground in his first year is flying the flag for Ginny and going after Stewart while Lewis just meanders in offering no contest or support. Next image he does his best job of pretending to defend looking like a retiring ruckman;
1712388501605.png

And just a couple more of Lewis being bamboozled by the ball and play; In the first, he actually does a good job of taking his player out of the contest to give Chol a 1on1, then doubles back and pushes chols opponent out of the contest, lucky not to give away a free; In the next Chol wins a holding the ball but what is Lewis doing running into the contest after its played, can he not fill a defensive position?; Another of Lewis playing off the pack and pushing his opponent lucky not to give away a free
1712388596061.png

So is it a club or player problem? Accountability lies with both but I really think our forward line will function a lot better without Lewis, not a great position to be in for a senior player. My suggestion of a trade is based on talent, we need elite talent on every line to support the bulk of our list across 10 years, Chol is a revelation of a find, we could bank a draft pick and put games into a premiership list. Anyway maybe I am too harsh but after watching it again I am more concerned with the amount of talent we need long term. Who's our forward coach again?

Did you watch Mitchell’s comments post game on why he came off? Watch that and then tell me how durable he thinks he is, let alone invested. I know what’s poor and it’s not the post.
Do you know something more, because Sam’s comments seemed pretty straight forward.

Sam said Mitch thought he was a bit sore, but wasn’t sure it was cramp or hammy awareness and didn’t want to come off as we’d already activated the sub.

I don't wish to be howled down, but I am just interested why he went so low in his draft year. Was he a late developer ... more involved w other sports - golf comes to mind, perhaps basketball?

He seems to have a lot going for him (save the injury curse); I must say, I've always been a fan.

On SM-S916B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back