Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn: Mitchell Lewis. Extended to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

Wonder if the hip issue he had near the end of preseason has lead to this current hammy issue.
Wouldn’t be surprised, it would be my guess. Which would also affect his back, but injury to hips, especially tightness and weakness in them. Is going to lead to overcompensation of his hamstrings and quads in particular.

Mitch was a late developer , it took him a long time to lose the puppy fat! In fact, still had some when we drafted him. But, I agree with posters who are questioning his output so far this year. He's been very average and we already know how good he can be. He's no slouch. Maybe a week or two off could do him a world of good

He has been injured since Rd.1 and has been pushing through

Why? If he's injured he should be given a spell to get his body right. He's not contributing much forward at the moment and absolutely zero going the other way. If we were contending for a flag then I may have a different opinion but we're not and we have a couple of raw tall forwards who we could get games into.

Lewis will bounce back. However, regardless of injury, he took the field in the first 3 games and has played like a player taken at the very end of the draft and lucky to be out there, let alone with a long contract.

Emotions aside, this is hard to argue on present (2024) exposed form.

Lewis was the monster KPF we need so lets hope his slump is entirely related to injury and a good spell then back to full fitness will see him regain his mojo. We are in a world of hurt if he can't.

Sounds like we took a risk with him carrying an injury and it didn't work. Breust also which also didn't work out. With Mitch you can understand as we are so light on for KPFs. Didn't help his cause that our midfield was smashed in those 3 games. Let's just get him right as he so important to our future success.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why? If he's injured he should be given a spell to get his body right. He's not contributing much forward at the moment and absolutely zero going the other way. If we were contending for a flag then I may have a different opinion but we're not and we have a couple of raw tall forwards who we could get games into.

most afl players push through & play w niggles. we want to win games.

Reminds me of majak daw.
All the attributes to be a superstar, and always gets injured when he's starting to do stuff to make him look like a footballer

Reminds me of majak daw.
All the attributes to be a superstar, and always gets injured when he's starting to do stuff to make him look like a footballer
Majak? Lewis is half the athlete he was and 10x the footballer and even that might still be underselling Lewis.

Our rebuild being a success relies so heavily on Lewis getting his body right and playing consistent football.
Hopefully he is one of those guys who has plenty of niggles early in his career and learns how to manage his body as he matures and becomes more durable. Never more than 15 games this far in is certainly starting to be a slight concern for someone so important to our future.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back