Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Nick 'the Wizard' Watson! Rising star Nom!

Remove this Banner Ad

who cares about the rising star?
after that football legend Rhys Palmer was voted the "rising star" lols ahead of four time premiership player, Norm Smith medallist, three time all-Australian and future hall-of-famer Cyril Rioli, the award has become nothing more than a joke voted on by perennial nit-wits.
and that's not hindsight... blind Freddie could tell at the conclusion of the 2008 home and away season that Cyril was light years above anyone else nominated that year, with the exception of Trent Cotchin, who came in third.
and yes, you guessed it, that Einstein-like super-genius Nathan Buckley was on the selection panel lols

Couple of beautiful field kicks as well. Will be a menace at the centre bounce on occasion in the future.

Like Poppy and Cyril had a baby.
v Richmond, AFL members wing gather lacing up Moore
v Geelong, somehow stealing the ball out of an opponents hand and lacing up Lewis.
v Fremantle, hitting up a 40 metre bullet on the interchange wing.

Averaging the most shots at goal at Hawthorn. (Also factoring in the WB games where he came on at 3qtr time as sub).

Does it all. Terrific field kick, Pressure machine. Can bring down anyone.

Drafting Watto, Best thing to happen in a long time.

Absolute star.

On impact alone so far, he’s the best player from last year’s draft, other than Harley Reid. Better than Walter, McKercher, Sanders and Duursma

Windsor and Wilson have both had great seasons too.

Wilson has kicked 11 goals and Windsor has kicked 7 goals from a wing this season, which is impressive. Both averaging just under 15 touches.

It's shaping up to be a great draft.

Or he could continue to play football according to the current rules of the game and make the umpires make decisions that they have to live with.🤷‍♂️
Every incorrectly paid or not paid free kick gets accountability within the umpiring fraternity and individual umpires that don't pay the right ones are dropped or coached into making the right calls.
So maybe, we let the game itself prove itself out and just keep playing?
I don't remember Geelong suffering any debilitating umpiring bias for Duckwood?
I don't remember the throw Dogs having correct handballs incorrectly adjudicated?

Think this is all a little self hate on here, a little cringe because we're worried what the outside world might think or say.
**** that.

Watson doesn't play for Geelong or the Bulldogs, so how they are/were treated is irrelevant. Like it or not, the AFL is a modern day "Animal Farm".

The Cats didn't start beating up on everyone until the last 15 years or so. Prior to that they were just a slightly more competitive Saints or Bulldogs. Good H&A, but fell short of the big clubs (Pies/Dons/Blues/Tigers) in September. Hawthorn have "taken" premierships from the big clubs since the 70s and we're still doing it.

No-one over 50 (those in charge) HATE the Cats like they do Hawthorn. They're childhood was spent having their dreams destroyed by the Brown and Gold.

We've always been held to a higher standard than other clubs - and in an ironic way I think it's a big reason why we have been so successful for so long.

who cares about the rising star?
after that football legend Rhys Palmer was voted the "rising star" lols ahead of four time premiership player, Norm Smith medallist, three time all-Australian and future hall-of-famer Cyril Rioli, the award has become nothing more than a joke voted on by perennial nit-wits.
and that's not hindsight... blind Freddie could tell at the conclusion of the 2008 home and away season that Cyril was light years above anyone else nominated that year, with the exception of Trent Cotchin, who came in third.
and yes, you guessed it, that Einstein-like super-genius Nathan Buckley was on the selection panel lols

Spot on.

This was the exact moment I stopped giving a flying Freddie about the Rising Star.

Cyril was the most impactful lower-possession player in the game's history, but the selectors couldn't overlook Palmer's cheap high possessions for a crap team.

Not winning the Rising Star never took away from Cyril's greatness, it was more of a situation of IYKYK with us Hawks fans.

Spot on.

This was the exact moment I stopped giving a flying Freddie about the Rising Star.

Cyril was the most impactful lower-possession player in the game's history, but the selectors couldn't overlook Palmer's cheap high possessions for a crap team.

Not winning the Rising Star never took away from Cyril's greatness, it was more of a situation of IYKYK with us Hawks fans.
The Norm made up for it.

On impact alone so far, he’s the best player from last year’s draft, other than Harley Reid. Better than Walter, McKercher, Sanders and Duursma
Not so sure about that, Mckercher has had some very impressive games. Wilson and Windsor also been very impressive. Clohesy as well although he was the rookie draft has had a great year.

Irrelevant either way, we have a hell of a player on our hands and he is going to be bloody exciting to watch.

Seems to love the defensive side just as much as kicking a goal. I just love that.

Loves a chase and a tackle. Will often half a contest in the air when he's undersized. Just all effort.
That's how he turned his season around.. was a bit slow going at the start imo, but the effort at the contest he has shown since coming back from the VFL has been great to see

Windsor and Wilson have both had great seasons too.

Wilson has kicked 11 goals and Windsor has kicked 7 goals from a wing this season, which is impressive. Both averaging just under 15 touches.

It's shaping up to be a great draft.
I was disappointed we didn't get one of those two, but I'm very happy looking at how Watson, Dear and McCabe are shaping up.

Wilson is the one who doesn't get enough hype.
Killing it as a forward in a low scoring team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has broken grown men’s brains in half a season. Just a mention of his name with my workmates and the sneer on their faces is immediate.
He will be tormenting opposition supporters for 10 years or more.
Just wait until he starts kicking bags.
The Wiz and Ginni show will fascinating viewing and will drive people crazy.

It’s gonna be great.
Jack Nicholson Reaction GIF

Seems to love the defensive side just as much as kicking a goal. I just love that.

Loves a chase and a tackle. Will often half a contest in the air when he's undersized. Just all effort.
Reads the flight of the ball really well for a small, that moment he was able to get his hands to the ball while running at top speed between two Freo defenders was outstanding. Would normally have been an intercept mark for them.

Him and ginni add enormous energy confidence and cool factor to the team. Something cannot be underestimated in a league where 99 percent of players are dull and more interested in not sticking out from the pack.
This is why Hawks are suddenly social media champs and an attractive place for upcoming generations of stars and supporters.

"He's SPECIAL isn't he, aye",

Such a rare talent. Unique.

As others have said a player like him does not come around very often. We needed him so badly. X factor we haven't had for years. His defensive intent was his only ? But he is better at it than anyone realised pre daft. Complete package now.
and he is absolute Box Office.

Peek above the paywall here: https://archive.is/3s7fx

“He is 170cm so he gives small forwards hope as they grow up. Lots of kids who are small believe they can’t get drafted and some lose hope. When they see someone like Nick at 170cm, they believe they can."

I coulda' been a footballer!

My father was a very good footballer, a shorty like me. He kicked 96 goals for Kew in the amateurs as a rover. He and his brother went to some try outs for Hawthorn in the late 1940's and were told they were too short. Later in life I know he regretted not trying harder.

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Nick 'the Wizard' Watson! Rising star Nom!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back