Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Nick 'the Wizard' Watson! Rising star Nom!

Remove this Banner Ad

No-one over 50 (those in charge) HATE the Cats like they do Hawthorn. They're childhood was spent having their dreams destroyed by the Brown and Gold.

We've always been held to a higher standard than other clubs - and in an ironic way I think it's a big reason why we have been so successful for so long.

Drink Reaction GIF by Laff

You don't seem like you're joking.......but you've got to be, right?
You BELIEVE, that those in charge of managing our game at the highest level, are spending time or giving air to opportunity to affect our Club more than any other Club, because we've been so successful.....
By telling UMPIRES, to adjudicate our games and players differently to other teams???????????????????????????

That's the dumbest shit I've read on here. Ever.

Lionel Messie, a third Copa today. Interesting to see why Watto has no issues in competing for the high ball. That vertical is measured without launching off a defender.

1.68 Alexander Volkanovski
1.7m John Platten
1.69m Lionel Messie + 1.04m vertical jump
1.7m Nick Watson + 94cm vertical jump
1.73m Paul Puopolo
1.73m Peter Crimmins
1.74m Shane Crawford
1.74m Andy Collins

I’ve never understood why AFL clubs are so reluctant to draft short players.

I get in basketball there are obvious drawbacks in being short but Aussie Rules is played on a massive oval and being mobile and quick is just as important as being big and tall.

Of course size is always good but I look at someone like Moore and shake my head that he almost got lost to the system due to clubs having concerns about his height.

Even tennis we were told was going to be dominated by 2m tall giants yet Nadal, Federer and Jokovic basically won every major between them for 15 years and they are all around the 1.85 - 1.88m tall mark (certainly not short but nowhere near 2m).

Essentially what I am saying is always look at the ability first and stature second.

projectdingey was right.

Hilarious thing is if you just came on here and didn't drop that name it wouldn't be glaringly obvious you have just started a new account. A victory lap and patting yourself on the back all in one - elite work!

"He's SPECIAL isn't he, aye",

Such a rare talent. Unique.

As others have said a player like him does not come around very often. We needed him so badly. X factor we haven't had for years. His defensive intent was his only ? But he is better at it than anyone realised pre daft. Complete package now.
Oh I think he was more hard at the defensive stuff than the majority of the team this week. Bloody ferocious. Must be so sore afterwards

On impact alone so far, he’s the best player from last year’s draft, other than Harley Reid. Better than Walter, McKercher, Sanders and Duursma
Clearly Reid and McKercher have been key additions to their respective sides. Will both finish in the top 5 of their clubs’ B&Fs. The low profile Caleb Windsor’s entry to senior level has been seamless for Melbourne.

After those three, Nick certainly has claims as the next best for impact.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clearly Reid and McKercher have been key additions to their respective sides. Will both finish in the top 5 of their clubs’ B&Fs. The low profile Caleb Windsor’s entry to senior level has been seamless for Melbourne.

McKercher has been such a key addition to North that he's driven them to the dizzying heights of having won the same amount of games while kicking 40 less points than the same time last season.

Mckercher missed a fair bit of footy, surely hes not finishing in the top 5 of the Bnf?

Sheezel, Xerri, LDU, Wardlaw all locks to finish higher.

I’ve never understood why AFL clubs are so reluctant to draft short players.

I get in basketball there are obvious drawbacks in being short but Aussie Rules is played on a massive oval and being mobile and quick is just as important as being big and tall.

Of course size is always good but I look at someone like Moore and shake my head that he almost got lost to the system due to clubs having concerns about his height.

Even tennis we were told was going to be dominated by 2m tall giants yet Nadal, Federer and Jokovic basically won every major between them for 15 years and they are all around the 1.85 - 1.88m tall mark (certainly not short but nowhere near 2m).

Essentially what I am saying is always look at the ability first and stature second.
Just more risk associated with smaller players. Less positional flexibility and less chance the performance at under age form translates to senior afl. You need some attribute that will offset the size difference. Very very few sub-175cm players make it in the modern game (even sub 180cm are a small proportion of players in the league) and the shift away from shorter player began a long way back. The ones we see at afl often have something very special about them.

Just more risk associated with smaller players. Less positional flexibility and less chance the performance at under age form translates to senior afl. You need some attribute that will offset the size difference. Very very few sub-175cm players make it in the modern game (even sub 180cm are a small proportion of players in the league) and the shift away from shorter player began a long way back. The ones we see at afl often have something very special about them.
Indeed, footy is very much a sport where the ability to physically match an opponent is important. Watson being as quick, as explosive and as strong as he is for his size helps a lot. You throw those qualities and his talent on a 190cm player and you've got a guy who could be the most dominant player in the league, as it sits he's only 170cm and the league is spared that reign of terror.

Hoping a breakout game with a big bag of goals is in the script today.

Also hoping that the wet weather plays to his advantage as the smallest man on the field. Though he does seem to slip over a lot.

There is much less scope for physical improvements too, which can lead to improvements in every other facet of their games.

In the Wizard's case talent wins out. I daresay if he wasn't as quick as he is he would have struggled to be drafted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Nick 'the Wizard' Watson! Rising star Nom!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back