Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Pick 18, Josh Weddle

Remove this Banner Ad

Genuine question, why didn't he go in the top 5?

I hadn't heard much about him when we drafted him, but it seemed fairly obvious from the first training session that he was an elite prospect ...

Is that revisionist?
He was an undersized key position player and he wasn't super clean at ground level or with his marking.
Not to be too negative but his cleanliness handling the ball is definitely something he can still improve.

The fact Sammy (possibly the recruiting team) saw Weddle as more than a key defender is why they should be paid the big bucks, he's just so naturally gifted as an athlete.

Not saying they play the same necessarily but bit of Goodes in him. Could see him being BOG kicking a bag as a key forward, being BOG the following week as a ruckmen who dominates at ground level and follows it up the next week shutting down the best forwards while rebounding and being an offensive threat.

His mix of athleticism and talent is so so incredibly rare.

I have no idea but wasn't he U18 FB, so maybe a lot thought that's all he was and were blinded to his true potential.

Love that our guys saw the Koutafides potential in him, maybe The hands of stone can explain why others didn't see it, as at the time he said his pal in the AFL talent pathway told him that we'd got a good one and would be more than happy with our trading up. Presumably he chatted to other guys in that system who similarly saw the potential.
I think others have covered it but basically played defence on the oppos best forward in under 18s , tall or small .
So that may have swayed some recruiters away from his genuine athletic traits .

His athletic potential has sky-rocketed even further in an elite environment . Its great ID by us .
As T4P has said he has also grown .
My mate had him as a top 10 at draft but with the highest ceiling in improvement based on his athletic potential.

What he did yesterday as a 20yo is crazy at AFL level .

Whenever the media piles on to criticise us, I feel confident that we have done the right thing, but it usually takes time to play out.

Picking Hodge, Clarko appointment, coaching transition, trading up to get Weddle.
AFL media is a great counter-trade signal.

You forgot the big one. The blatant tanking of trading out Tom Mitchell and O’Meara

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Weddle could become the most difficult to stop player in the AFL I reckon. There's just no one else who could mind him in all the different places he can go and have an impact.
Some in hear might not like to hear this as a comparison but the way he can play any postion on the ground reminds me of Adam Goodes. The kid is so versatile.

He's that type of footballer that can play every position on the ground. Like Goodes.

But reminds me most of Kouta. The athleticism. His last quarter was almost game winning type stuff.

Whenever the media piles on to criticise us, I feel confident that we have done the right thing, but it usually takes time to play out.

Picking Hodge, Clarko appointment, coaching transition, trading up to get Weddle.
AFL media is a great counter-trade signal.

Who in the media was critical of our move up to draft Weddle?

Maybe I'm misremembering, but my impression was that it was received pretty well and seen as an ambitious move. Or maybe that was just us in here?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back