Welcome to Hawthorn Pick 19: Ryan Burton

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

My favourite moment of his yesterday was when he had the ball on centre wing and had lots of players up the line to push the ball forward. Instead, he kept the ball in our hands by going back to the last player (forget who exactly it was) and start the build up again. I can't tell you if this lead to a score but was so mature and smart not to just blaze away like others may have

My favourite moment of his yesterday was when he had the ball on centre wing and had lots of players up the line to push the ball forward. Instead, he kept the ball in our hands by going back to the last player (forget who exactly it was) and start the build up again. I can't tell you if this lead to a score but was so mature and smart not to just blaze away like others may have

Yes I remember that moment.
Brilliant decision making and yes it led to a goal.

I don't see a comparison to Pendlebury, Burton has pace, and just more in the kit.

I hope he gets longevity, and a problem free run at a career from here on in. Super impressed with him after seeing his first Box Hill game post removal of the metal.

Sheesh Pendles has a pretty fair kit bag....

A couple of things stood out for me
1. Great field kicking. Throughout the off-season everyone was talking up his foot skills but I didn't see it when he was kicking for goal against North. Couldn't miss yesterday though

2. Good decision making. Mitchellesque.

My one concern though is what position is he best at. One of those awkward in between 190cm odd players

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Great field kicking. Throughout the off-season everyone was talking up his foot skills but I didn't see it when he was kicking for goal against North. Couldn't miss yesterday though

My one concern though is what position is he best at. One of those awkward in between 190cm odd players
I think he'll end up in a Fyfe role tall mid pushing foward.

My one concern though is what position is he best at.
The Burton position. Old school footy had CHB, CHF, FB, FF, Ruck, etc. Clarko has previously invented the Franklin position, the Rioli position, the Spangher position, etc. so obviously he is going to be best at the Burton position.

That's why the other teams keep poaching our assistant coaches, to figure out how to get players performing in these new positions.

You could have forgiven the lad if he had a few panic kicks and fumbles in his third game, playing on defence especially. Instead we got a player who backed himself, attacked the ball and made smart decisions with ball in hand. His kicking is outstanding, I think even Clarko would get a semi chub from some of the field kicking he was producing on the weekend.

We all knew the boy had talent but no one really expected him to roll up at the end of the season fit and ready to play senior football. Interesting to see where he plays next match, wouldn't be surprised if we saw him thrown into the midfield in patches to see how he goes. It's very early on but the 2015 draft is looking like a very good one for us.

You could have forgiven the lad if he had a few panic kicks and fumbles in his third game, playing on defence especially. Instead we got a player who backed himself, attacked the ball and made smart decisions with ball in hand. His kicking is outstanding, I think even Clarko would get a semi chub from some of the field kicking he was producing on the weekend.

We all knew the boy had talent but no one really expected him to roll up at the end of the season fit and ready to play senior football. Interesting to see where he plays next match, wouldn't be surprised if we saw him thrown into the midfield in patches to see how he goes. It's very early on but the 2015 draft is looking like a very good one for us.
He played just under 80% game time in a role that Stratts would play 95% in not sure his fitness I there for a run in the midfield just yet but I'm looking forward to when it is

It's all coming together for Burton at a hectic pace, but do we have time left in 2016 for him to really show his stuff?

Same scenario with Schoey. Let's hope it all clicks coz if it does, we're gonna see some serious shit.

We have found a player here very composed, moves very well for his size and kicks it beautifully!

I want him to stay in but who makes way for McEvoy and Stratts. We need Hurtung in for pace/hard running, Shoey for some size in forward line to take some heat off Gunston/Sicily, Fitz as second ruck/resting forward and Whitecross for his hardness and he is a man on a mission!

Tough decision but I would leave out Sicily, there was a couple of times against Collingwood he stopped thinking where is my free kick and he can chase harder. In finals, pressure football cannot do this!!!!

Burton stays in.

Last edited:

Maybe he is a Hodge/Burgers replacement i.e. chuck him where you need him. He swept up well in the back half. I reckon he could go in the middle and he is mainly a forward.

FFS - We have nailed it this time! You bloody beauty!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back