Welcome to Hawthorn Pick 19: Ryan Burton

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

This must be career best finals performance?

I know for a fact he's had better games that...18 disp, 55% DE, 2 score involvements, 0 goal assists, 4 tackles, 1 I50, 6 rebound 50

A very average game.

This must be career best finals performance?

I know for a fact he's had better games that...18 disp, 55% DE, 2 score involvements, 0 goal assists, 4 tackles, 1 I50, 6 rebound 50

A very average game.
AFL Player ratings had him as the best Hawk on the ground and a career best game under their rating system

that would be what they are talking about

AFL player ratings incorporate defensive acts and all that sort. So wouldn't be surprised if he had a big defensive game.
Yeah they come up with some weird ratings sometimes but he had 10 contested as a defender and, 6 rebounds,8 one percenters and gave away no frees, in a defence under siege he was pretty good on the day

His year was disappointing but our age demographics means we cannot afford to lose one of the better young players on our list. He has tools to be a very good player and 12 months ago we were all very excited about his potential. Hopefully no truth to the rumours.

Yeah they come up with some weird ratings sometimes but he had 10 contested as a defender and, 6 rebounds,8 one percenters and gave away no frees, in a defence under siege he was pretty good on the day
He had a good game, sure. Maybe even a really good game under the circumstances. But definitely wasn't his best AFL performance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His year was disappointing but our age demographics means we cannot afford to lose one of the better young players on our list. He has tools to be a very good player and 12 months ago we were all very excited about his potential. Hopefully no truth to the rumours.
His start to the year was injury interrupted then he had the Higgins bump

His back half of the year was very good

He had a good game, sure. Maybe even a really good game under the circumstances. But definitely wasn't his best AFL performance.
I didn't say it was his best game. AFL player ratings did.
I was highlighting some of the stats that would have been behind their rating.

Be interesting to see how he polls in the PCM for that game though

I'm still firmly of the belief that Burton will be our best player in 3 years time

He's certainly one of the few in the mix where it is difficult to know his ceiling. I think we know what we will get from Mitchell, Siss, Jaegs, Hardwick...

This kid is only behind JOM in terms of raw untapped talent.

Watch them both explode next year. Anticipating top 5 B&F finishes for both.
Gee I am a lot more tempered in my expectations about Burton. Has a fair way to go for mine to be anywhere near a star. Biggest issue is not sure he has that killer instinct or real confidence in himself yet.

Gee I am a lot more tempered in my expectations about Burton. Has a fair way to go for mine to be anywhere near a star. Biggest issue is not sure he has that killer instinct or real confidence in himself yet.

Seemed to lose some confidence this season. Thought that last year , if anything he was overconfident, and his main negative was trying to do too much with it. Not sure if he made a conscious effort to not bite off more than he could chew this year, but whatever it was, he definitely spent most of the first half of the year looking timid and uncertain. Really liked his second half though, but probably hasn't developed much over this year, more returning to the form he showed last year after a poor start. Hopefully he can use his end of year form as a springboard for a big development spurt next year.

In some ways that is the reason i have such high hopes for Burton. The ability and physical attributes are there. When he took the game on last year and played with a bit of freedom he was excellent. I'd rather be waiting on a player to build confidence than to suddenly acquire great skills or ability over a preseason. Personally i don't think we have him in the best position for him to showcase what he has. Best position for the team atm, but i'd rather see him move up the ground.

In some ways that is the reason i have such high hopes for Burton. The ability and physical attributes are there. When he took the game on last year and played with a bit of freedom he was excellent. I'd rather be waiting on a player to build confidence than to suddenly acquire great skills or ability over a preseason. Personally i don't think we have him in the best position for him to showcase what he has. Best position for the team atm, but i'd rather see him move up the ground.
The question is not whether Burton will continue to develop if played in the backline, but how much he will develop. How much of a step forward was his 2018 season? That's a really complicated question but I trust the coaches we have to make the call about persisting with him off half back or making the change. Like you I'm excited to see him played as a permanent wing or forward. We'll see what happens.

Burton reminds me a lot of Croad. Although I think Burton is a more natural footballer whereas a road was more of an athlete and took him a while to learn the game. But both seem to have similar physical attributes. Hoping to see him emerge as a 200 gamer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back