Welcome to Hawthorn Pick 19: Ryan Burton

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still would want something else coming back if Burton was a part of any movement.

His potential is greater than "The Chad"

Still would want something else coming back if Burton was a part of any movement.

His potential is greater than "The Chad"

Not based on anything we've seen.
But around these parts..... on the hope that a handsome athletic reasonably talented biggish guy can be the next coming of derm.
He aint got half the natural talent of Wingard, but that's fine - he can still be a Hawk hero.;)

Not based on anything we've seen.
But around these parts..... on the hope that a handsome athletic reasonably talented biggish guy can be the next coming of derm.
He aint got half the natural talent of Wingard, but that's fine - he can still be a Hawk hero.;)
Hate to disagree but i think he has chad covered going forward. He has everything he needs physically. Its all about him and where he goes from here. A superstar in the making. Can play in multiple positions a gold mine

I'd really like to see him play in the forward line next year, hopefully they experiment a little in the pre-season games and intra clubs. I think he's got potential to slot in nicely with Gunston, Bruest, Puopolo and the like, especially now that Roughy is on the back 9.

I remember this time last year people were talking about him becoming a big-bodied midfielder.

The difference with Burton is that he had a bolter of a first season then eased, whereas Sicily went from sporadic acts of brilliance to solid, consistent and at times brilliatn defender.

I'm confident Burton will get back there.

You only have to look at how well Burton stood up and took Sicily's role.

Consistency is something he can develop over time.

With Birch coming back next season - would love to see him up the ground on a forward flank drifting through the midfield but he has to stop kicking bacwards as his first thought - he looks great when he takes the game on and he must trust that as his first Instinct

I can see Burton being groomed as a Silk replacement.

I expect to see him getting a bit of a run through the middle/wing/half forward next year.

I would hate to see him as part of any trade I think his upside is enormous. Missed the direction of Hodge this year but he'll develop that on his own over time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hate to disagree but i think he has chad covered going forward. He has everything he needs physically. Its all about him and where he goes from here. A superstar in the making. Can play in multiple positions a gold mine
A superstar 4P? I truly truly hope you are right and as someone who is closer to the Hawks and Box Hill than anyone else I place faith in your judgement. Upstairs will determine if he achieves greatness for mine and to date that is going ok but not a standout. He is still bloody young so plenty of time for sure.

I think aerobic fitness holds Burton back right now. Just can’t put in the repeat efforts. I think he manages his efforts in order to run out games. I hope this improves for him over the next couple of preseasons. Given how far back he has had to come from I’m sure he has plenty of room for improvement. Still the chosen one for mine ;)

A superstar 4P? I truly truly hope you are right and as someone who is closer to the Hawks and Box Hill than anyone else I place faith in your judgement. Upstairs will determine if he achieves greatness for mine and to date that is going ok but not a standout. He is still bloody young so plenty of time for sure.
A big pre season coming up

I think aerobic fitness holds Burton back right now. Just can’t put in the repeat efforts. I think he manages his efforts in order to run out games. I hope this improves for him over the next couple of preseasons. Given how far back he has had to come from I’m sure he has plenty of room for improvement. Still the chosen one for mine ;)
In addition to that Brishawk I'd imagine he's being managed with that major leg injury he had. I'd be interested to know what affect it has on him now from a physical perspective. Mentally I still think it affects his marking at the least.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Could be Clarko holding him back because of his previous leg injury. Playing in the midfield requires alot more running. As he gets physically stronger it would be an option.

I wonder how good his knee is, from what was mentioned at draft time, it's never going to be 100%, I wonder if he will get a full career out of it.

It's possible as a long term management strategy that:

1) We might deliberately keeping his weight (upper body muscle) down to reduce stress on the knee.
2) HFC might not want him punching out the km's needed for midfield/wing level of fitness.

My speculation without any inside information.

Ffs Burts wouldnt go back to SA for $100mil he loves it in Melb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back