Welcome to Hawthorn Pick 19: Ryan Burton

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see your point, but I think even those examples are a function of the way Clarko likes to build an overarching system where all the pieces are interchangeable cogs. I'm not really convinced his thought process is "I like playing my mids at HBF early on because it makes them accountable no matter where they play later". More, I've got N players of type Y and the game plan requires I have certain types in certain roles, and it just happens that mid-sized players can play HBF pretty well (and early on might be able to do that with the smaller tank that the younger players usually have, which might be the bigger driver of kids being tried here first). I reckon you see the same thing play out with mids at box hill playing forward during their development (hasn't Worpel followed this path?).

I think one of the (many) things that has made Clarko a great coach is that he doesn't seem to bring a lot of pre-conceived ideas on where a player is going to be useful. The fact that a player played his entire junior career in position A has never stopped Clarko putting him somewhere else completely. Seems to see every player as a blank slate when they walk into the club.
I never said why he plays them there, just that he does.

I see plenty of a young David Mundy in Burton.

Mundy started as a half-back and wasn't really known for his contested ball winning ability. He played full-back at TAC. One of Mark Harvey's best decisions as a coach was to move Mundy into the midfield to utilise his size and ball use.

Like many have said, Burton needs to work on his contested ball, but I think he has the potential to follow Mundy's path as a big bodied mid with damaging foot skills.

For mine, Burton doesn't have the marking ability to be a damaging forward.

Nup, didn't lead us to a Grand Final.

He was the chosen one.

Delist.
Dear GW, it's becoming increasingly obvious you're stalking me on social media and frankly who can blame you. However, not all the gems I provide are meant to be taken literally. In the case of the above post, that was 'sarcasm'. So, what I need from you is to go to Port and take Burto off the table and offer a future 2nd round for this Wingard fella. If they play hard-ball on that then say you'll include either Willsmore or Heatherley. But not both. Our delisted players are way too valuable to be included in trades to them. If they don't like it, say 'later, numbnuts, we'll try this again next year'. Then walk off with a smug look on your face. Got that? Simples.
All the best, AS

I see plenty of a young David Mundy in Burton.

Mundy started as a half-back and wasn't really known for his contested ball winning ability. He played full-back at TAC. One of Mark Harvey's best decisions as a coach was to move Mundy into the midfield to utilise his size and ball use.

Like many have said, Burton needs to work on his contested ball, but I think he has the potential to follow Mundy's path as a big bodied mid with damaging foot skills.

For mine, Burton doesn't have the marking ability to be a damaging forward.

Dave played as a forward as a kid.

Dear GW, it's becoming increasingly obvious you're stalking me on social media and frankly who can blame you. However, not all the gems I provide are meant to be taken literally. In the case of the above post, that was 'sarcasm'. So, what I need from you is to go to Port and take Burto off the table and offer a future 2nd round for this Wingard fella. If they play hard-ball on that then say you'll include either Willsmore or Heatherley. But not both. Our delisted players are way too valuable to be included in trades to them. If they don't like it, say 'later, numbnuts, we'll try this again next year'. Then walk off with a smug look on your face. Got that? Simples.
All the best, AS

Agreed. Do not want Burto included in the deal.

Can someone please summarise how the hell we are planning on getting Wingard, Scully and Scrimshaw and STILL not lose Burton? Seems impossible to get done even if we do lose Burton...

Also has Scully actually nominated us? Not sure I want a 27 year old with injury concerns...

Can someone please summarise how the hell we are planning on getting Wingard, Scully and Scrimshaw and STILL not lose Burton? Seems impossible to get done even if we do lose Burton...

Also has Scully actually nominated us? Not sure I want a 27 year old with injury concerns...
Mate, no one really knows. Just let it all play out and see what we have at the end of trade week.

And players do not have to come out and nominate a club. Agreement can be part of the trade negotiations behind closed doors.

What are the injury concerns on Scully?

Broken ankle is bad luck, not a soft tissue injury.

Medical cleared him and Club is happy with it.

I will be sad to see Ryan go, loved him since his debut and a very talented player. Sadly unless it's a free agent though I understand you have to give to get.

Okay I'll summarise:

1. We get Wingard, Scully and Scrimshaw.
2. We keep Burton.

QED

What are the injury concerns on Scully?

Broken ankle is bad luck, not a soft tissue injury.

Medical cleared him and Club is happy with it.

Theres talk of bone on bone and cartilage issues.... Not good.

Okay I'll summarise:

1. We get Wingard, Scully and Scrimshaw.
2. We keep Burton.

QED

Sound input, Rather than giving up the Sesame St version how about you attempt the adult version?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Theres talk of bone on bone and cartilage issues.... Not good.
Hmmm, where does that ring a bell?

b645603804838a1cb6142fbe9b0cfc67

Sound input, Rather than giving up the Sesame St version how about you attempt the adult version?
Scully and scrimshaw will be acquired for non-first round picks and or fringe player exchanges. So you are essentially asking how we can recruit wingard without trading Burton.

Scully and scrimshaw will be acquired for non-first round picks and or fringe player exchanges. So you are essentially asking how we can recruit wingard without trading Burton.

Given Port don't want our fringe players, surely it is this year's and next year's first?

Given Port don't want our fringe players, surely it is this year's and next year's first?
Probably depends on wingard resolve. If he refuses to play for anyone but hawthorn and threatens to sit out next year, maybe we get him cheaper. Or maybe we do what we do best and find a way to get the value port require ie broker a deal with somone who can give them a pick to secure rankine.

If Burton doesn't want to be traded the only way I can see us getting Wingard done is 2 1sts.
We have other players. We have the threat of free agency next year. We have the threat of a clearly disgruntled player wanting out.

There's plenty of ways this could go down. Port currently have the time to play hard ball, but also have a lot more to lose.

We have other players. We have the threat of free agency next year. We have the threat of a clearly disgruntled player wanting out.

There's plenty of ways this could go down. Port currently have the time to play hard ball, but also have a lot more to lose.

The current deal of 650k per season won't come close when free agency arrives, we will also have shit kicking swooping vultures around offering 1mill if they don't have to give up assets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back