Welcome to Hawthorn Pick 19: Ryan Burton

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends on who you ask I guess.
Seems a moneyball type situation all based on potential.
Is the cub extracting maximum value for Burton with the "star" tag knowing they have a similar player coming in on less $$$ with expected similar out put in Scrimshaw?

I've come to accept that the HFC may not rate Burton as highly as it's supporters - myself included.
A lot of our supporters have overrated Burton a bit but Scrimshaw has done absolutely nothing so far.

Not even.
If you had asked me before the trade period what my ultimate worst case scenario would be, trading Burton for anyone would have been it. The 'we already have defenders and will get Scrimshaw to replace him' comments hold no merit either. Burto was drafted as a forward initially. In 5 years time I envision him being our next Jack Gunston, swinging forward and back and picking up All Australian jumpers in the process. Plus he can roll through the midfield. Is the modern day hybrid footballer. His potential output + what he has already shown vs Windgards past 2 years and potential outcome make this a ridiculous idea for a trade. Then you chuck pick 15 on top of it! Madness from Hawthorn.

Barrett sprouting nonsense now on trade radio.

How would he know how a conversation between Clarko and Burton went?

I find myself emotionally invested in following the trade period this year so too late for me tune out now.
Can only hope next year I can ignore this period and the media floggery that goes with it.
And if the media buffoons weren't bad enough , the comments attributed to Cripps about the Port medicos scrambling to fly first class to Las Vegas drove home what a grubby and facile 'industry' the AFL has become.

Barrett sprouting nonsense now on trade radio.

How would he know how a conversation between Clarko and Burton went?

Essentially came to their own conclusion that Clarko called Burton but was lying to the kid to cover his own arse. Trash.

Not even.
If you had asked me before the trade period what my ultimate worst case scenario would be, trading Burton for anyone would have been it. The 'we already have defenders and will get Scrimshaw to replace him' comments hold no merit either. Burto was drafted as a forward initially. In 5 years time I envision him being our next Jack Gunston, swinging forward and back and picking up All Australian jumpers in the process. Plus he can roll through the midfield. Is the modern day hybrid footballer. His potential output + what he has already shown vs Windgards past 2 years and potential outcome make this a ridiculous idea for a trade. Then you chuck pick 15 on top of it! Madness from Hawthorn.

If you hope
That our club
Does crap in the AFL competition
Because you have your heart set
On ONE FRICKIN PLAYER becoming great - and we let him go...
Then you're a sad troll who doesn't deserve our great club.

You'd wish for a club full of players doing all they can in the colors, and all the associated staff, and hundreds of thousands of supporters, all to get their hearts broken and careers derailed, because the club took a decision on how to best balance the quality of our list?

Think before you hit 'post reply' mate.

Not even.
If you had asked me before the trade period what my ultimate worst case scenario would be, trading Burton for anyone would have been it.

It probably comes down to how highly supporters rate Burton. Like you, I think he is all-Australian, certainly an A-grader. If you don't agree with that then trading him is no biggy. I don't subscribe to the idea that some of us are emotionally invested in him, we just think he's really good!

I did worry when Clarko was interviewed recently and was asked what players we would go after. After balking the question he nominated just one position we need a class recruit - and that was the posi Burton played this year....

If you hope
That our club
Does crap in the AFL competition
Because you have your heart set
On ONE FRICKIN PLAYER becoming great - and we let him go...
Then you're a sad troll who doesn't deserve our great club.

You'd wish for a club full of players doing all they can in the colors, and all the associated staff, and hundreds of thousands of supporters, all to get their hearts broken and careers derailed, because the club took a decision on how to best balance the quality of our list?

Think before you hit 'post reply' mate.

where did he say he hopes our club does crap in comp?

It's his view its a bad trade, his entitled to an opinion

i'll personally back the club to make the right calls but people/supporters/members can have an opinion on not trading Burton

where did he say he hopes our club does crap in comp?

It's his view its a bad trade, his entitled to an opinion

i'll personally back the club to make the right calls but people/supporters/members can have an opinion on not trading Burton
His original post said something along the lines of - I hope hawthorn miss the 8

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His original post said something along the lines of - I hope hawthorn miss the 8

Tongue in cheek, I did mention that if it went through I hoped Port would make the 8 and we would miss. To clarify, I think it would be an awful decision by out football club but I would support Ryan's career for the duration like he was one of our own.

I feel the same way about Burton leaving as I did Jed Anderson devastated and will be for some time.

However if it goes through the way it's being reported (15 and Burton) then it will be like the guy who traded from paper clip to a house.

A late pick for a delisted Steven Gilham (thanks port), washed up Gilham for Jed then Burton + 15 into Chad Wingard. Wingard to become GOAT.

C2A30D0B-0F01-4E94-89A7-0929381F551D.jpeg Yeah... Burton is a bit soft.

Just ask Higgins

He will come on nicely if he stays.
Port will ruin his development.

To be fair Billy Hartung looked a million bucks in 2014 until injured in round 12 tackling a bloke twice his size, also scored a rising star nomination in his time with the club too.

A few people have mentioned Ryan has a bit of an ego issue (albeit without GilPender here pumping up his tyres), so maybe a couple of years in the wilderness at Alberton might not be such a bad thing.

To be fair Billy Hartung looked a million bucks in 2014 until injured in round 12 tackling a bloke twice his size, also scored a rising star nomination in his time with the club too.

A few people have mentioned Ryan has a bit of an ego issue (albeit without GilPender here pumping up his tyres), so maybe a couple of years in the wilderness at Alberton might not be such a bad thing.
We can get him back for a 4th rounder in a few years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back