Welcome to Hawthorn Pick 19: Ryan Burton

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I think the two of them can be in the same side with no issue . I don't think burton keeps siss out but at this stage he keeps Tob out , if shoe can return that may push him out though. Great to sit back and watch it all unfold really.

Nice game first up....My only concern was that I though he would be quicker.
He's running at probably 20% of his capacity. This kid has the smarts to be a top line AFL footballer, once he gets his body in check, power through his core/legs....we're going to have a beauty.

My critique: for what it is worth.
Was clearly instructed to take his defender away from goal and let our other forwards go to work with space.
Was passed over when free at 50 a couple of times. Langers burnt him once but it resulted in a goal anyway.

Missed a contested mark he will take in the future and under-kicked an inside 50 that would have resulted in a shot at goal. Also could have tapped a ball to the Hawks advantage but took possession instead.

Tacked well and found space to get 2 set shots from 40m, both of which he missed, but not by much.

I think it was a solid first game in the hardest gig in football... the 3rd tall forward.

With his goal he showed he can get into space and finish.

Burton doesn't know the game plan. Soon enough he will know not to lead :)

It's funny, I actually thought the opposite.......our guys off the half back and through the center looked for him down the line a number of times as an outlet while under pressure, and he was caught behind his opponent who read the need to cut off the lead better than Burton knew how hard to push up field.
Yes he got ignored a few times, but had he clunked a couple of early mark opportunities I think the rest of the team would have trusted him to beat his direct opposite number.

Thought he was ok, but same effort, possessions, and defensive pressure would have caused a dressing down if it had been Sicily.

Think he shows all the signs of being a player, but the hype machine on here has certainly softened his landing when compared to other debutants.

Most importantly though, he's played how many games of football over the last 2 years?

To do what he managed, with no match fitness, is kind of astounding. Not many guys are talented enough to make so much as a dent in the stats sheet in the forward line against a motivated opponent.

I can forgive the lack of running, because it's just a miracle he was playing at all.

Could have had 3 goals too.

It's funny, I actually thought the opposite.......our guys off the half back and through the center looked for him down the line a number of times as an outlet while under pressure, and he was caught behind his opponent who read the need to cut off the lead better than Burton knew how hard to push up field.
Yes he got ignored a few times, but had he clunked a couple of early mark opportunities I think the rest of the team would have trusted him to beat his direct opposite number.

Thought he was ok, but same effort, possessions, and defensive pressure would have caused a dressing down if it had been Sicily.

Think he shows all the signs of being a player, but the hype machine on here has certainly softened his landing when compared to other debutants.

Most importantly though, he's played how many games of football over the last 2 years?

To do what he managed, with no match fitness, is kind of astounding. Not many guys are talented enough to make so much as a dent in the stats sheet in the forward line against a motivated opponent.

I can forgive the lack of running, because it's just a miracle he was playing at all.

Don't get me wrong, I'm good with his efforts and output first up and excited for his future.
But maybe not quite in the 'never to be dropped for the rest of his career' camp.....;)

Don't get me wrong, I'm good with his efforts and output first up and excited for his future.
But maybe not quite in the 'never to be dropped for the rest of his career' camp.....;)

Agree then, he's not likely to be around in September. But watch the $#@$ out next year if he's got a full pre-season, and a few games under his belt come the start of the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it's the perfect setup for him to aquit himself 200% over the next couple of weeks because anything can happen during finals.
After a pretty good taste of what is required I think that he will want more this year & therefore putting massive pressure on TOB & Sicily to perform.
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he keeps his spot if TOB has an ordinary day at Box Hill.
To get the best team ready for the finals I have TOB ahead of Sicily & Burton in the FP, but with the X factor of Sicily on a good day & the unknown potential star quality of Burton who knows.....

We seem to love giving this kid a taste. Maybe because they think he's going to be that good.

First it's a few Box Hill development games before the rod removal and then some box hill games and now a senior gig.

After a full preseason, it should be very interesting.

e6496f0b73d264bdafad6cbb0558baa7.jpg

couldn't have said it better myself

Keep in mind Burton only played 59% of game time, so his 10 possessions, 5 marks and 3 shots on goal came in little over half a game.
Good performance first up. Works out as roughly as 18/9/5 for a full game. I reckon it's a miracle he has even got on the park this year.

Keep in mind Burton only played 59% of game time, so his 10 possessions, 5 marks and 3 shots on goal came in little over half a game.

7 score assists in that time too. By God I'm getting excited for this kid.

EDIT: Thanks to Cryptor who highlighted it was score involvements instead of assists. Impressive nonetheless.

Last edited:
It really is amazing just what Ryan has achieved, 100+ gamers struggle for fitness and form coming of a long injury and limited pre season, due to this I can't see him staying in the team but Christ I'm excited to see him next year, might be a cliche but the kid has a real strong aura about him on the field, just screams special.

It really is amazing just what Ryan has achieved, 100+ gamers struggle for fitness and form coming of a long injury and limited pre season, due to this I can't see him staying in the team but Christ I'm excited to see him next year, might be a cliche but the kid has a real strong aura about him on the field, just screams special.
Yep - next year he will be pretty pumped up after getting the Normie in 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back