Welcome to Hawthorn Pick 19: Ryan Burton

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bump...
The kid is a gun & should be a 250 game player at the club.

He’s season was down on expectations for most, myself included, yet still has all of the tools to be an elite player with line breaking ability with his kicking, footy smarts & composure with the ball in hand when he is on.
The future “mr fix it”, “in emergency break glass”, “go to guy”.....
His next step is consistency to play at his best more often & start taking a few scalps with some physicality.

Bring on 2019 & unleash Ryan Burton!

Pretty uninspiring year. Third year on the list but second year of playing... Hopefully 'second' year blues and is able to push onto higher levels next year.

I think he is best suited to remain in the backline. Often thought if he may be more value forward but not seeing it based on this years form.

I am sure his name will come up in trade discussions so will be interesting to see how highly he is rated internally.

Pretty uninspiring year. Third year on the list but second year of playing... Hopefully 'second' year blues and is able to push onto higher levels next year.

I think he is best suited to remain in the backline. Often thought if he may be more value forward but not seeing it based on this years form.

I am sure his name will come up in trade discussions so will be interesting to see how highly he is rated internally.

Considering Clarkson was ready to back him in for finals in his first year after coming off surgery I'd say pretty highly.

He started to get a bit of confidence at points during the year and made some line-breaking runs. Feel like he could be our next Birch, so would be disappointed to see him go, but understand if he wants to be back home.

This has been said so many times but it’s a complete myth. He started the year slowly for sure but was good to very good by the time of the bye. After the bye he was excellent and while Sicily was out he was pivitol to our success. Close to our best in finals also. Probably our best against Richmond.

Development and form are not linear things

When you start asking players to do more or different things they can appear to regress at things they already did well while they try to learn the new skills

This is normal.

Add form and injury into that and you can see all sorts of strange things happen

If they get it right they come out the other side a better player but it takes time and not everyone is going to progress the same.

Remember this is a kid who is going to pass 50 games next year, but one who also missed almost two years as a junior due to a bad injury and almost half his first season with us.

So yes he will be a fourth year player with 50 games next year but he's coming from a different place to most kids that would be in that position.

Could still be anything

Go back and watch the AFLX games to see what he is capable of. He was able to play freely in a low stakes competition and he looked amazing.

I think he was a bit slow to start the real stuff this year with the loss of Hodgey. It's been a bit overlooked just how much an impact he was still having last year. His body was failing him but his game sense, leadership and direction were as good as ever. Just look at what he's been able to do for Brisbane.

It took our backline until after the bye to really find their feet. And it seemed only once Sicily was out and Burton was responsible for driving more attack from half back that he begun to really grow in confidence again.

Hopefully next year Brand takes the next step to becoming a regular and we can get Birchall back playing regularly again at half back. This will free Burton up to playing a more creative attacking role further up the ground.

So are all the rumours he wants Home true? Lot of talk about him being involved in the Wingard or McGovern trade?

I haven't heard anything remotely suggesting that he'd want to go back to Adelaide. Strikes me as media reaching "he's from there, so he might want to go back". Basest form of journalism.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All I’ve heard is that he hates Adelaide and doesn’t want to live in south Australia. Oh, he also loves clarko.
I haven't heard anything remotely suggesting that he'd want to go back to Adelaide. Strikes me as media reaching "he's from there, so he might want to go back". Basest form of journalism.

What rumours?

From Bigfooty?

There was about 2 pages of discussion on the Big Fish thread this morning that have now been deleted. From multiple hawks posters. Take it with a grain of salt obviously but I guess it carries as much weight as all the other rumours around here.

There was about 2 pages of discussion on the Big Fish thread this morning that have now been deleted. From multiple hawks posters. Take it with a grain of salt obviously but I guess it carries as much weight as all the other rumours around here.
That was two pages of hypotheticals because someone mentioned burton wanting to go home
We have a few posters that believe hes going to leave us for Adelaide because he is from SA

That was two pages of hypotheticals because someone mentioned burton wanting to go home
We have a few posters that believe hes going to leave us for Adelaide because he is from SA
No, the poster had a source from the club who had said this. Whether there's truth to this or not is a different question.

No, the poster had a source from the club who had said this. Whether there's truth to this or not is a different question.
No they said they had a source
Others who i know do have sources have repeatedly said he is happy
Not to mention pre draft he said he wanted to play for a Melbourne club

No they said they had a source
Others who i know do have sources have repeatedly said he is happy
Not to mention pre draft he said he wanted to play for a Melbourne club
As I said, "take it with a grain of salt". But surely all rumours round here should be looked with equal scepticism, not just the ones we dislike.

As I said, "take it with a grain of salt". But surely all rumours round here should be looked with equal scepticism, not just the ones we dislike.
The posts were deleted for being in thw wrong thread

When a poster who actually knows Burton (& is known by a few posters here) says Burton can’t stand AFC & does not want to live in Adelaide, most of us take that as reliable over an unknown keyboard warrior

That's not the way it works. If it was, I would need to give the rumours the earth is flat more credence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back