Welcome to Hawthorn Pick 22: Kieran Lovell

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah, not issuing any trumpeting for his promotion. Think he needs to knock the door down too, was just postulating that I think his game translates better at the highest level with better teammates....
But, do think you've gone hard and early on him.
He HAS been hit by tough injuries, and WAS playing some very very good football before then. Was often in the bests, sometimes ripped it up though not ALL game similar to many players. Not sure what some posters are on about saying he's done Sweet FA???

Would like him to get another year at it, but it won't faze me either way.
Funny how much support JOR has gotten, including calls to 'just play him' regardless of form and see what he's got before we decide on our list at end of year.
But Lovell? Just cut the little bastard.:huh:

Oh look I’m all for giving him another year. I’m just not as bullish on throwing him into the midfield to ‘see how he goes’ because we’ve been walking a finals tightrope most of the season, he hasn’t played that well at Box Hill all season (Worpell and Miles on the other hand were in good form) and there is no logical person whose spot he’d take.

I honestly can't see all of Lovell, Cousins and O'Rourke on the list next year. I think one, maybe two, will be delisted depending on what we do in the trade period.

With the emergence of Worpedo as as part of the midfield rotation it has pushed these three further down the list.

Despite being seen at AFL level this year, I think Cousins might be the most likely to be delisted. He is only really able to play an inside role at AFL level. I think Lovell could still be damaging as a high half-forward, but he just needs to commit to getting himself in the best shape of his career.

I honestly can't see all of Lovell, Cousins and O'Rourke on the list next year. I think one, maybe two, will be delisted depending on what we do in the trade period.

With the emergence of Worpedo as as part of the midfield rotation it has pushed these three further down the list.

Despite being seen at AFL level this year, I think Cousins might be the most likely to be delisted. He is only really able to play an inside role at AFL level. I think Lovell could still be damaging as a high half-forward, but he just needs to commit to getting himself in the best shape of his career.

Not an O'Rourke hater by any stretch but I would much rather keep Cousins than JOR.

Cousins is a definite keeper. Has loads of talent.

Cousins is a definite keeper. Has loads of talent.

Who knows, and I guess we have more fun and important things to discuss.

I just think with Mitchell, O'Meara and Shiels logging most of the midfield minutes those on the periphery need to be able to contribute in another role at AFL level.

If we land another gun midfielder in the trade period it's going to put further pressure on all of Cousins, Lovell and O'Rourke.

Lovell is not a bad user of the footy when he has some space. Aside from that, he should not be on an AFL list. Am surprised he even made rep teams in Tassie. Would love to hear the justification of why we selected him.

I'd rather Lovell than all bar probably Josh Dunkley and Marcus Adams on that list. Some have played some OK footy but hardly any worth feeling glum about, particularly since he's effectively a season behind thanks to his shoulder injury.

Retain, give him another full PS at it and make a real judgement in 12 months time.

Spoke to some people who are Tassie footy buffs when Lovell was being discussed in draft circles. Apparently Lovell accumulated a lot of his ball in the back half as a junior (prolifically) but was not that great mid/fwd. Maybe he needs a new position or is he too short to play as a small back?

I remember another nuggety player who started his career on and wing and forward before developing into a dual back line Hawthorn Premiership player with great hardness, skill and a deceptive sidestep. Lovell is a bit shorter than Goo was though.

Lovell's lack of size means he must get to the footy first. Alex Woodward gave him a master class the other day. Lovell does not read the fall of the ball quick enough and does not have elite vision. Howie is probably at the same level but can barge his way to the ball.

His lack of size at junior level would not have been as critical. You don't have to Einstien to work that out. At the AFL level he does not have the physical tools or tricks to make it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really do hope he gets a year under Mitch....

I don’t see it happening though unfortunately.

I think it was consistent with his whole year - in the GF, he didn't do much when playing HFF and trying to be an outside option running into the square, but when he went onto the ball and played inside, he looked a player. To me, it seems that it'll come down to whether we are prepared (and able given spots) to play him where he's good. He's not slow, but as an outside player, for his height, he ain't quick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome to Hawthorn Pick 22: Kieran Lovell

Remove this Banner Ad

Back