Welcome to Hawthorn Pick 22: Kieran Lovell

Remove this Banner Ad

Had 34 and 3 goals in a game at the national championships. Was the highest rated player over the whole carnival, what the hell happened to this guy?

If he is given another year he will need to lift dramatically as Worpel and Cousins went past him this year so he is at the back of the queue for midfield time. Unfortunately, he doesn't seem to have the versatility to make a contribution as a small forward based on the time he spent there at Box Hill.
I wouldn't be surprised if he was delisted which is a pity as he was a first round draft pick.

As someone else mentioned, it would be worth seeing what a year under Sam Mitchell's tutelage might do for him. But maybe there's more negatives the club sees day to day that aren't immediately obvious to us on the outside.

If he is given another year he will need to lift dramatically as Worpel and Cousins went past him this year so he is at the back of the queue for midfield time. Unfortunately, he doesn't seem to have the versatility to make a contribution as a small forward based on the time he spent there at Box Hill.
I wouldn't be surprised if he was delisted which is a pity as he was a first round draft pick.

And that's exactly why I think the Hawks have no hesitation in trading first round draft picks for proven talent in the mid 20s.

And that's exactly why I think the Hawks have no hesitation in trading first round draft picks for proven talent in the mid 20s.

Very few rated him anywhere near where we picked up. Could be a real shocker from Wrighty and co if delisted.

Had 34 and 3 goals in a game at the national championships. Was the highest rated player over the whole carnival, what the hell happened to this guy?

I remember watching that game live and was thinking how good that kid is going to be . Wouldn't be surprised if the clubs recruiters thought the same thing based off that game and that's why they went early.

Was he drafted as a possible S Mitchell replacement?

With the introduction of T Mitchell and emergence of Worpel, he doesn't get into the hawks 1's anytime soon. I think that's why he's playing on the flank at box hill.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally I think he deserves another year. People are way to quick to expect results, nothing wrong with serving a solid apprenticeship in the twos.

Worpel should be considered the exception rather than the rule when it comes to playing in the ones. In time the younger Box Hill blokes will work their way up and when they do they will have a solid base to build off. I suggest people have a look at the connection between Pits and Lovell in the highlights in the link below of the Box Hill grand final. Worth noting his goal put us in front early in the last, good to see young blokes step up in big moments. Relevant highlight is 7 minutes in...

Last edited:

With the introduction of T Mitchell and emergence of Worpel, he doesn't get into the hawks 1's anytime soon. I think that's why he's playing on the flank at box hill.

Spot on. Playing out of position seems to have effected his confidence and even interest (judging from some BH games).

For the first time I actually thought he started to show something in the VFL finals series after being a battler all season. He did do that dinky kick late in the port final in the centre which at the time I said would cost him a spot on the list next year as it was an action so far from VFL football let alone AFL level.

I dont suspect he will get another season but as I believe i saw some signs and Sam Mitchell is back wouldn't be upset if we give him 1 more as a rookie.

Personally I think he deserves another year. People are way to quick to expect results, nothing wrong with serving a solid apprenticeship in the twos.

Worpel should be considered the exception rather than the rule when it comes to playing in the ones. In time the younger Box Hill blokes will work their way up and when they do they will have a solid base to build off. I suggest people have a look at the connection between Pits and Lovell in the highlights in the link below of the Box Hill grand final. Worth noting his goal put us in front early in the last, good to see young blokes step up in big moments. Relevant highlight is 7 minutes in...

Agree, thought his form in the finals was good. Quiet first half that game but instrumental second half, especially considering Cousins was being tagged. A lot of our younger guys stepped up that game and across the whole finals series. Moore/Pittonet/Hanrahan were all stellar.

My concern with Choppa is that even with the improvement it feels like he's back at square one. Had a fantastic first year where he would rack up 20+ in the guts and hit the scoreboard, and was rewarded with two senior games. Injury decimated his 2017, and this year he hasn't been racking up the ball or hitting the scoreboard. His finals was closer to his 2016 VFL form. I feel like an extra year, some confidence and some Sammy coaching could help him improve.

Lovell's lack of size means he must get to the footy first. Alex Woodward gave him a master class the other day. Lovell does not read the fall of the ball quick enough and does not have elite vision. Howie is probably at the same level but can barge his way to the ball.

His lack of size at junior level would not have been as critical. You don't have to Einstien to work that out. At the AFL level he does not have the physical tools or tricks to make it.

That’s what was said about Sam Mitchell and look how that turned out .. I reckon Lovell has the best midfield coach on hand now.

Sam Mitchell was written of as “Too short, too fat and too slow”. Sams sharp football brain, keen instincts and relentless drive would Make him a champion. #Forgedbyadversity

Hawk Premierships 1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015 and there’s many more to come yet!

Hawthorn know better than me, obviously, but I reckon he’s worth another shot. He is a different type of midfielder to Howe, Worpel and Cousins which could come in handy once he gets his confidence up. He also needs time as a stoppage player, I think he’ll come good at afl level.
Earlier on in his time at hfc, he seemingly did not respect his injuries enough and was a sluggish trainer.
Cousins and Howe don’t have speed from stoppage nor do they have natural sideways movement but Lovell definitely does. But dedication is something very important to clarko and that’s where the other two have it over Lovell.
Rather keep Lovell than speculative dfa’s .

He always felt like more of a reactionary pick when Saints beat us to the punch with Gresham.

Hawthorn know better than me, obviously, but I reckon he’s worth another shot. He is a different type of midfielder to Howe, Worpel and Cousins which could come in handy once he gets his confidence up. He also needs time as a stoppage player, I think he’ll come good at afl level.
Earlier on in his time at hfc, he seemingly did not respect his injuries enough and was a sluggish trainer.
Cousins and Howe don’t have speed from stoppage nor do they have natural sideways movement but Lovell definitely does. But dedication is something very important to clarko and that’s where the other two have it over Lovell.
Rather keep Lovell than speculative dfa’s .
Redrafted as a rookie might be a good wake up call for him. The shock of being cut from the list followed by the relief of being redrafted as a rookie could be enough to make him realise he needs to take his chances to make it as an AFL player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome to Hawthorn Pick 22: Kieran Lovell

Remove this Banner Ad

Back