Welcome to Hawthorn Pick 22: Kieran Lovell

Remove this Banner Ad

Considering the players that we were connected to & the ones that slid Lovell is a bust....

Josh Dunkley
Darcy Tucker
Kieren Collins
Luke Partington
Marcus Adams
Tom Cole
Ryan Clark
Rhys Mathieson
Ryley Bonnar
Harley Balic

Not all proven but I think if any landed at the Hawks it would have been a better outcome than a reach for a Hawthorn Ledgend clone....

Unfortunately I think he’s done at the Hawks.
Trade or delist

Considering the players that we were connected to & the ones that slid Lovell is a bust....

Josh Dunkley
Darcy Tucker
Kieren Collins
Luke Partington
Marcus Adams
Tom Cole
Ryan Clark
Rhys Mathieson
Ryley Bonnar
Harley Balic

Not all proven but I think if any landed at the Hawks it would have been a better outcome than a reach for a Hawthorn Ledgend clone....

Trade or delist
He would have little to no value in a trade. Doesn't help we have the upcoming super draft.

Might get a gig at a state league side.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Lovell is not a bad user of the footy when he has some space. Aside from that, he should not be on an AFL list. Am surprised he even made rep teams in Tassie. Would love to hear the justification of why we selected him.

Was top ten in the beep test, has an elite sidestep and averaged 33 touches for Tassie in the state games. Has more than enough raw talent to make it. Clearly something else is holding him back...

Was top ten in the beep test, has an elite sidestep and averaged 33 touches for Tassie in the state games. Has more than enough raw talent to make it. Clearly something else is holding him back...
Obviously lacking cooked talent.

If we could get a 4th for him that would be good since we are lacking a 4th rounder this year.
That pick could then be used for Irving which wouldn’t be a bad outcome.

I can't believe what's happening with him.

I saw him tear it up in the intra club (i know its intra club) but he looked primed to have a big year.

You know he might just be one of those guys who flourish at the highest level but we will never know cos clarko wont play him for some reason.

I find it very very strange.

Harley Balic??????!!!
I liked his pre draft footage & thought he would have fit our system nicely.
Pretty sure he slid due to commitment issues that eventually played out being drafted interstate.
He had 1 game I recall where he was pretty damn good & snagged a couple of goals

I saw him tear it up in the intra club (i know its intra club) but he looked primed to have a big year.

You know he might just be one of those guys who flourish at the highest level but we will never know cos clarko wont play him for some reason.

He's not putting his hand up at BHH though. Why would he therefore deserve a call-up to AFL level?

He's not putting his hand up at BHH though. Why would he therefore deserve a call-up to AFL level?

Cos he might actually play well at the higher level.

Langford Whitey Cousins Glass Mirra Miles Orourke weren't necessarily breaking the door down either but were given games.

Look how good Miles looks now? Who could have predicted his form in the seniors?

I just think they should have given him a run of a games to see if he had it or not now it feels like we will never know.

Guys are dreaming if you think we can get a 4th round for him. He's a keep or delist only option. The latter more likely.

There were plenty who said that about Sicily and Miles too, Dimma was considered lucky to be getting a run off 'unspecial' form, not to mention TOB & Shoe.

I actually thought Siss and Miles had done more than enough and were dangerous types, and think Lovell would similarly be a nice little dagger running around with better talent surrounding him.
May not get the chance and HAS been unlucky with serious injuries.
However, that's footy and I'm more than comfortable with someone else getting the opportunity (see Hanrahan?) that Lovell's been unable to fashion for himself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Needs to train harder and lift his professionalism.

No other clubs would be looking hard at him

I look around, and surely he is just as good as Parfitt. If it’s a work rate issue...

Got plenty of talent by the looks of him. His rig hasn’t had the usual Russell trim tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I look around, and surely he is just as good as Parfitt. If it’s a work rate issue...

Got plenty of talent by the looks of him. His rig hasn’t had the usual Russell trim tho
After his shoulder injury last year, Russell talked about putting him through some heavy middle-distance running. Obviously they had big midfield minutes in mind, but he's really floated off the radar while Cousins, Worpel and even O'Rourke have pressed for senior games.

Does he get one more year? I haven’t seen enough of him to comment like I’m sure others here have, but I’d be leaning on giving him one more make or break year, like O’rourke has had this year.. shame, he seemed sure to play some senior footy when he first came on board.

Not like the guys getting picked in front of him haven't performed though

I wouldn't be surprised if he does get another year to learn that small forward role, which he has clearly been put into for big chunks of the year. I'd imagine it's his work rate/defensive efforts which need to lift that the club is trying to work into him, especially with Poppy probably only having a couple of years left at best. We've shown a history of persisting with players for longer than most on the outside thought we should (Langford, Duryea, Miles, etc.) but they're all for the most part getting games or have roles to play on the list. But I guess we'll see, if it is commitment and effort issues, then it could be something that can't be changed.

There were plenty who said that about Sicily and Miles too, Dimma was considered lucky to be getting a run off 'unspecial' form, not to mention TOB & Shoe.

I actually thought Siss and Miles had done more than enough and were dangerous types, and think Lovell would similarly be a nice little dagger running around with better talent surrounding him.
May not get the chance and HAS been unlucky with serious injuries.
However, that's footy and I'm more than comfortable with someone else getting the opportunity (see Hanrahan?) that Lovell's been unable to fashion for himself.

Yeah, I like that he makes space and bobs around... and i too think he could look a lot better playing at AFL level.

But many players have come and gone and been much better at winning their own ball at stoppages than Lovell has this year. That is what I am a bit disappointed about, given his body shape.

Been in a dogfight for finals most of this year and apparently we should have been gifting senior call-ups to a bloke who’s been struggling in the VFL. Okay :drunk:

Not sure whose spot in the midfield or half forward line you think he should have been taking.

All well and good to compare him to TOB and the like - but those callups come down to positions with little depth.

Josh Dunkley
Darcy Tucker
Kieren Collins
Luke Partington
Marcus Adams
Tom Cole
Ryan Clark
Rhys Mathieson
Ryley Bonnar
Harley Balic

Trade or delist

I'd rather Lovell than all bar probably Josh Dunkley and Marcus Adams on that list. Some have played some OK footy but hardly any worth feeling glum about, particularly since he's effectively a season behind thanks to his shoulder injury.

Retain, give him another full PS at it and make a real judgement in 12 months time.

Been in a dogfight for finals most of this year and apparently we should have been gifting senior call-ups to a bloke who’s been struggling in the VFL. Okay :drunk:

Not sure whose spot in the midfield or half forward line you think he should have been taking.

All well and good to compare him to TOB and the like - but those callups come down to positions with little depth.

Nah, not issuing any trumpeting for his promotion. Think he needs to knock the door down too, was just postulating that I think his game translates better at the highest level with better teammates....
But, do think you've gone hard and early on him.
He HAS been hit by tough injuries, and WAS playing some very very good football before then. Was often in the bests, sometimes ripped it up though not ALL game similar to many players. Not sure what some posters are on about saying he's done Sweet FA???

Would like him to get another year at it, but it won't faze me either way.
Funny how much support JOR has gotten, including calls to 'just play him' regardless of form and see what he's got before we decide on our list at end of year.
But Lovell? Just cut the little bastard.:huh:

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome to Hawthorn Pick 22: Kieran Lovell

Remove this Banner Ad

Back