Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Pick 7, Cam MacKenzie, extends to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1718668836827.png

Currently the 5th rated 20 year old in the comp and rising. Extra special considering he is a much more time limited player than others in that list at the moment, and is being played mostly out of his preferred position.

He's coming on in leaps and bounds. Looking a better prospect than Pou, who some were bemoaning we should have taken. (Though, I do think Pou will still be decent)
Added touch is Hawk supporter through and through - gets the extra training, intent and hopefully the contract negotiations are short and sweet. Loving him and almost hard to believe he hasn’t yet played 2 seasons.

Could have had three or four goals on the weekend.

He was 5/10m in the clear near the goalsquare when Ginnivan kicked his goal.

He was pressured last second for his running shot, and maybe in two years time he breaks through that next HTB tackle and is able to get a shot off.
The one where he got run down was very promising. It was his 3rd effort from the bounce and had the confidence to back himself in which he hasn’t really done to date. Thought it was the most comfortable he has looked at the level on the weekend and finished his work which has been lacking. Just starting to find his feet.

The one where he got run down was very promising. It was his 3rd effort from the bounce and had the confidence to back himself in which he hasn’t really done to date. Thought it was the most comfortable he has looked at the level on the weekend and finished his work which has been lacking. Just starting to find his feet.

Yeah even though he was caught I thought it was a really encouraging piece of play. He hasn't really backed himself in to take on opponents like that before.

Same too with his skewed shot (pressured last second) and the clearance to the HFF, which was a nice play and an even better kick. I think previously he'd had maybe just launched it around the corner and not taken that extra moment to spot up a target.

One of my favourite things about the guy is that he's a fierce, insanely damaging competitor who give it his all, but as soon as he's off the field be it for an interchange or when the game is over, or when he is doing an interview, he looks like Dougal from Father Ted whenever he gets asked a question by a lady.

1719794420855.png

When him and Wardy are in our midfield it might be one of the highest IQ midfields, but it will always look like a couple of stunned Irish priests to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kornes is on board. Stating that MacKenzie looks like he’ll be a 250 game multiple AA by the end of his career.

I can see it. Just looks class, and he’s barely even gotten started.

Kornes is on board. Stating that MacKenzie looks like he’ll be a 250 game multiple AA by the end of his career.

I can see it. Just looks class, and he’s barely even gotten started.
Its ridiculous how composed he is with ball in hand, his disposal is top notch and yet he still tackles and goes in harder than most. He is almost the complete midfielder attribute wise.

Its ridiculous how composed he is with ball in hand, his disposal is top notch and yet he still tackles and goes in harder than most. He is almost the complete midfielder attribute wise.

I loved him from the get, was frothing for him in the draft threads, but I think this is everything to his play this year.
He's just playing harder, going when he sees the opportunity and not waiting the extra second for his brain to tell him to as it deciphers the placement of all the pieces around him.
He was never soft, but I got the impression he was not quite sure when the team or coach would want him in the contest and when to be outside.
Now, he's attained the matrix keys and just plays beautifully within the flow of the game.
Has a great rig, isn't showboating any faux toughness, just believes he's not getting hurt and can stand his ground to mark or stand up the oppo in a tackle when he chooses.
It's a Sammy Mitchell gift I reckon he's got. All the chaos around him and he just feels his way into space and decisions without giving the oppo a real read on what he's about to do.
He's a freakin Porsche.

Last edited:
I loved him from the get, was frothing for him in the draft threads, but I think this is everything to his play this year.
He's just playing harder, going when he sees the opportunity and not waiting the extra second for his brain to tell him to as it deciphers the placement of all the pieces around him.
He was never soft, but I got the impression he was not quite sure when the team or coach would want him in the contest and when to be outside.
Now, he's attained the matrix keys and just plays beautifully within the flow of the game.
Has a great rig, isn't showboating any faux toughness, just believes he's not getting hurt and can just stand his ground to mark or stand up the oppo in a tackle when he chooses.
It's a Sammy Mitchell gift I reckon he's got. All the chaos around him and he just feels his way into space and decisions without giving the oppo a real read on what he's about to do.
He's a freakin Porsche.
Those first few steps off the mark are unbelievable! We're really seeing him use his acceleration more this year and it's a wonderful thing.

He's obviously a hard worker too. His set shot goal kicking last year was pretty poor / weird, but now he's slotting a major or two per game.

Elite few first steps and footwork just needs some stamina and strength

The stamina is already on the way, he's been strong finishing games the past couple of rounds.

It wasn't happening even just a month or two back.

The most pleasing aspect of it is that he's kicking goals late, he's nailed a few in fourth quarters now.

That footwork is mad, I can't agree more on that front.

He's becoming the standout player he was in his draft year at senior level. It's crazy that there were so many peeps bent out of shape when he was drafted. Tall, fast elite ball user. Exactly what we didn't have, and looking close to a top 4 pick with the benefit of hindsight.

Last edited:
17 touches 5 tackles in a dour day for our midfield is a good sign of his development. It was earlier this year he got subbed off with 3 touches/1 tackle in a similar match when our mids were smashed against GCS.
Was one of only a few whose output was on close to par of recent weeks. Noticed he got some genuine midfield time later in the game too

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Pick 7, Cam MacKenzie, extends to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back