Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Sam Frost. Extends to 2024!

Remove this Banner Ad

Fills a gap in what is a pretty poor side, so deserves his 2 year deal.

I do hope come 2025 if he's on the list we're at a stage where Frost isn't best 22 though and we are again featuring in September. Think Frost has too many brain implosions to be a stalwart in a good sides back 6.

I do hope come 2025 if he's on the list we're at a stage where Frost isn't best 22 though and we are again featuring in September. Think Frost has too many brain implosions to be a stalwart in a good sides back 6.
I agree

Those brain fades just kill us.

Especially with both CJ and him in the side.

I understand what you mean..but I see it differently...

I do hope come 2025 that he's on the list we're at a stage where Frost remains best 22 and we are again featuring in September. Think Frost has few brain implosions and is a stalwart in our sides back 6.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sam Frost

“Frosty started the year strongly with some solid performances against some heavily targeted key forwards. He’s very consistent, reliable, and hard to beat one-on-one as a defender. We saw him play a variety of roles during the season including in defence, as a key forward and in the ruck which highlighted his versatility. Unfortunately, he only managed 12 games this season due to injury. He’ll be looking forward to having a big summer over the pre-season.” Chris Newman

My guess is that Sam Mitchell wanted our players to learn how to score and so be expansive in their play. This philosophy worked wonders with Seamus Mitchell and Josh Weddle showing their capacity to be game changers from the back half. Likely Frosty also had a go at being creative and it backfired for him. His running into trouble and not being able to see the handball or a kick to salvage the situation and momentum hurt him. And so Sam Mitchell found that Frostball, for all of chaos that it creates, is not worth it. (Aside: maybe if Frost ran his chaotic run he had players running with him … I.e. the whole team reacted and many surged up the middle with him while others ran back to defend if the attack was stopped and a turnover happened... damn that would be fun to watch).

The Fact Is: Frost turns the ball over too often. So if we cannot support him, we need to constrain him.

Frosty is still a very good defender for today‘s game. His closing speed for a spoil is without question. He has the height to take a tall fwd. For mine he still has a place in the Hawks best 22 IF he limits his game to being a defensive back that only runs to support the better ball users.

Ben McKay is a stay at home defender who averages 12 disposals and 6 marks. Frost averages 13 disposals and 4.2 marks.

If Frost decides to become a lockdown defender, who intercepts when needed, he will take more defensive marks and re-invigorate his career, likely becoming a better player in the next few years than BMcK.

Blanck currently has a lockdown role that he may be able to expand on if he continues improving at the rate he has.

Frost‘s learning curve has gone, the are no more if/ buts / or maybes on his ability to be a running defender. He Cannot.
Now he needs to concentrate on his strengths. Which are as a lockdown backman that, when the time fits, supports our running backs.

Last edited:
Putting this here as of all our players a special shout-out needs to go to Frosty.

What a solid citizen down back Frosty is - no more Frostball - keeping it simple, and we (Hawthorn) are reaping the rewards.

Genuinely pleased for the big fella - worked hard, copped the criticism, and has come out the other side as probably our best player in season 2024.

Well played Sam Frost.

Putting this here as of all our players a special shout-out needs to go to Frosty.

What a solid citizen down back Frosty is - no more Frostball - keeping it simple, and we (Hawthorn) are reaping the rewards.

Genuinely pleased for the big fella - worked hard, copped the criticism, and has come out the other side as probably our best player in season 2024.

Well played Sam Frost.
Hear hear!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back