Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Sam Frost. Extends to 2024!

Remove this Banner Ad

All hail the Badger, he's been the key component in our springboard defense pretty much since the day he arrived.

Looked to be on the wane last year, but he's evolved and (again!) playing like the beast he is.

Frosty is playing like his worth 900k a year… his actually been unreal and his kicking first class. I thought after last year we were in trouble still playing him but his made me look stupid and thankfully so

His athleticism is still unreal, could end up playing to 36…

Deepest apologies to Sam Frost.

Start of the year I thought he was not in best 22 and I thought he could not change his error-ridden crazy Frostball ways. I thought the side was better without him, having beaten Coll Bris and Dogs last year when he was not in the side. I wrote some ordinary things about his spot in the side.

Having seen Frost 2024, he has been amazing. Way beyond expectations and my son is now screaming for him to be AA, having listened to me whine for much of last year about him. He has been brilliant and really calmed himself down when he now gets the ball. Just doing basic stuff, which is absolutely all that is required when he intercepts the ball - which is his skill. Massive transformation and I apologise for every stupid whinge I wrote about him in the last 18 months.

I am a convert. GO FROSTY!

I reckon I've been his biggest fan / defender the last 2-3 years, but I was happy to accept the bad with the good (not sure many could even see the good by end of 2023).

His game seems somewhat simplified in 2024. I'm first to admit that I didn't think he a suitable defender of tall/power forwards, but I reckon he's making a great go of it on 2024 & performing very well. This coincides with him reducing his rebound run & subsequent clangers.

Future Captain?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unbelievable turnaround, it’s not his fault we are winless.

Looks like he has put a big pre season on skill work, hitting those 25 to 40 metre kicks.

Well done Frosty I am now a believer.

Like every Hawks supporter, I have been loving Frosty’s work this year.

His new focus on just doing a defensive job is working out for him and the club.

So what has changed? Answer: No more “Frost-ball”… he is just doing the job… and is probably leading the Hawks B&F while doing it.

Like every Hawks supporter, I have been loving Frosty’s work this year.

His new focus on just doing a defensive job is working out for him and the club.

So what has changed? Answer: No more “Frost-ball”… he is just doing the job… and is probably leading the Hawks B&F while doing it.
I have a theory on what happened to make a 30 year old Frosty modify his game.

And my theory revolves around a name…. and it is Ethan Phillips.

Ethan does what he does very well. But he knows that his disposal skills are not similar to those of others. And so he takes no risks when kicking or hand-balling … ever…

He is the “anti-frost ball guy”.

My guess is, Frost has seen how effective Phillips is and how well a team works if the ball is not turned over and decided, Ethan Phillips could take my spot… but I can do what he does and more … only be more adaptable and better.

Update: Ethan Phillips took 17 marks and 12? intercepts for Box Hill on the weekend. Ethan continues to pile on the pressure.

Whether my theory that “Phillips is both educating and pushing Frosty” is right or wrong is irrelevant.

What matters is that we have 2 key backs that are pushing each other… and I think that is certain.

I have a theory on what happened to make a 30 year old Frosty modify his game.

And my theory revolves around a name…. and it is Ethan Phillips.

Ethan does what he does very well. But he knows that his disposal skills are not similar to those of others. And so he takes no risks when kicking or hand-balling … ever…

He is the “anti-frost ball guy”.

My guess is, Frost has seen how effective Phillips is and how well a team works if the ball is not turned over and decided, Ethan Phillips could take my spot… but I can do what he does and more … only be more adaptable and better.

Update: Ethan Phillips took 17 marks and 12? intercepts for Box Hill on the weekend. Ethan continues to pile on the pressure.

Whether my theory that “Phillips is both educating and pushing Frosty” is right or wrong is irrelevant.

What matters is that we have 2 key backs that are pushing each other… and I think that is certain.
I just think he sat down with the coaches at the end of the year and they told him what he needed to cut out of his game, and he has gone ahead and done that.

Ethan Phillips being added as a SSP (only after Blanck went down) in mid Feb 2024, would have nothing to do with a discussion held and decisions already made in October 2023.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back