Toast Welcome to Hawthorn Tom Phillips

Remove this Banner Ad

It was madness at Collingwood this year. By the results, looks like our second rounder was enough to get all 3 of Treloar, Phillips, Stephenson, especially losing Smith/Poupolo/Stratton/Frawley, we had cap space too. People who think Pick 4 is guarantee of success, no such things in life look at Mccartin St Kilda Pick 1. Just goes to show in the past we were willing to not only part with multiple first round picks and pick up all salary in Wingard/JOM etc. Anyway we do need to bring in more youth to compensate for what we have done last few years, just saying pretty good deals this year for all 3 clubs involved with Collingwood.
Wouldn’t have wanted Stephenson. Treloar would have been nice. Glad to get Phillips.

Wouldn’t have wanted Stephenson. Treloar would have been nice. Glad to get Phillips.
That is interesting, most people here out of the 3 seemed to want Stephenson the most, media talked him up as well as a once in a generation player, only 21. I guess with young kids too early to judge until their career is over. Sometimes they can have a good year or two. It also depends how they get along with rest of group. This year was a strange year and as he said hard to make an assessment.

That is interesting, most people here out of the 3 seemed to want Stephenson the most, media talked him up as well as a once in a generation player, only 21. I guess with young kids too early to judge until their career is over. Sometimes they can have a good year or two. It also depends how they get along with rest of group. This year was a strange year and as he said hard to make an assessment.

Of all 3, I thought Phillips was the best fit for us given price, and the fact Smith just left. Not the biggest fan of either Treloar or Stephenson.

Stephenson is a one trick pony with a handful of warning signs attached in terms of long term health and behaviour, Treloar is another accumulator with poor disposal and injury worries which is not what we needed in our midfield.

Great result. Got a decent player in for pick 65, that compliments a reasonable role player in Hartigan. Only thing to do now is to either improve our pick 24 for a pick in the teens this year or improve our draft hand for next year. Good all round win

Must be more to re Stephenson - Is his heart condition more serious than the club first thought - does it prevent him from playing out 4 quarters? Collingwood got burnt badly by Beams re his mental health/gambling/ alcohol issues. For a kid taken at pick 6, Rising star winner to be shipped out with a second rounder suggest that something is seriously wrong

I saw him do a lot of flashy dumb stuff last year. Not a great fit. Buckley benched him a few times last year which I guessed was about not doing the team thing.

Treloar would have added to midfield depth.l, which I think we need.

Phillips is a steal and good fit although I assume we are paying most of his salary.

Must be more to re Stephenson - Is his heart condition more serious than the club first thought - does it prevent him from playing out 4 quarters? Collingwood got burnt badly by Beams re his mental health/gambling/ alcohol issues. For a kid taken at pick 6, Rising star winner to be shipped out with a second rounder suggest that something is seriously wrong
You mean apart from him being allergic to anything remotely resembling physical contact?

Go read the Pies thread after they got pumped in the Final, lots of “That’s it I am sick to death of him shitting himself anytime anyone comes near him” “trade the weak prick” are just some comments I remember reading.

He makes Billy Hartung look Dipper like.

Hey Dazza
Thought I was hearing that they were not going back to full game time in 2021 and that they were still working with the covid model.
Getting back to the G should sit well with a number of our players.
The traders podcast was saying 18 minutes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Welcome aboard Tom.

Really really happy with this.

We obtain a player who has proven his abilities at senior level and probably has more development in him, plugs in a hole which opened up from Smith's retirement and is at a perfect age where he can provide us with a solid 6-7 years of output. Plus we got him for next to nothing!

Looking forward to the draft now. Hopefully we can manage to obtain another first rounder somehow...

I'll be interested to see how Tom continues to develop. Worth remembering that Isaac burst onto the scene, but wasn't always playing at the level he has played at since 2014. Recruited late (circa 21 or22) he didn't average 20 touches until his 3rd (20.0) or 4th (22.5) season. By then he was a little older than Phillips is now. Phillips first averaged over 20 touches a game when he was 19.

I think he's a great pickup, and I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do.

Amazing we got him for pick 65.

Just for fun I looked up some recent players drafted at 65:

2019: Thomas Hutchesson (GWS)
2018: Darcy Fort (Geel)
2017: Tom North (Fre)
2016: Pat Kerr (Carl)
2015: Ben Crocker (Coll)
2014: Josh Watts (Bris)
2013: Tom Langdon (Coll)
2012: pass
2011: Corey Goult (Coll)
2010: Claye Beams (Bris)

There are always some late gems but the odds are not great just looking at that list.

The parting message from the Pies indicated he had some stuff to deal with. You are on the money imo.

We must NEVER ever let Wrighty leave... ever.... lol

Imagine having Ned Guy. Makes me shiver.
This is what some people forget when they say we should chuck money at players. List management is a careful craft. It's easy to say we need X player. We should go after him and lose sight of the balance of the list as a whole... Which includes 43 other players. I can never foresee a future under a GW list management where we're forced to trade due to salary cap pressure.

This is what some people forget when they say we should chuck money at players. List management is a careful craft. It's easy to say we need X player. We should go after him and lose sight of the balance of the list as a whole..
I'm dismayed how often this happens.

This is what some people forget when they say we should chuck money at players. List management is a careful craft. It's easy to say we need X player. We should go after him and lose sight of the balance of the list as a whole... Which includes 43 other players. I can never foresee a future under a GW list management where we're forced to trade due to salary cap pressure.
Mate you have deadest nailed it. Its never ever just about the trade objective but our list and the effect on the players on our list. Its why some trades need to be ticked off by the leaders of the club.

Surely you’ve read the rumours

That’s why we don’t have big footy posters as part of our list management team

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Welcome to Hawthorn Tom Phillips

Remove this Banner Ad

Back