News Welcome to Hawthorn Tyrone Vickery's cats!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Over 10 years ago, a mate of mine used to own and run a restaurant (a busy one) in Richmond for about 2 years. I reckon it took years off his life. After a stint as an economist (he completed a masters in economics at university) he decided to become a licensed second-hand dealer and now exclusively deals on eBay and the like. Keeps his entrepreneurial spirit going but without the stress of running a restaurant.

I would love to learn the art of trading online, I just can't get my head around it. I love business, but probably like your mate being inside the engine room day in day out can be highly stressful.

Hospitality is well known for being such a shonky business, so much physical cash exchanges hands that a situation like this occuring (Vickery) is highly likely, particularly when you have a business partner who in all likelihood is there much more than he is. I don't know how anyone could go into business with friends, absolute craziness.

This is all I care about, freeing up cap space for the loss of a Box Hill player would be so handy.

The point I was trying to make is this.... Does his salary get wiped from our books if he is paid out and terminated because of this? Could help us immensely with recruiting another FA and/or making a mega offer to Ryan Burton to keep him at the club for the next 5-7 years.

I would love to learn the art of trading online, I just can't get my head around it. I love business, but probably like your mate being inside the engine room day in day out can be highly stressful.

Hospitality is well known for being such a shonky business, so much physical cash exchanges hands that a situation like this occuring (Vickery) is highly likely, particularly when you have a business partner who in all likelihood is there much more than he is. I don't know how anyone could go into business with friends, absolute craziness.

Yeah, my mate was hands on in the business which he co-owned with his brothers. He grew up in hospitality so he thought he knew what he was getting into, but having to deal with all the shit that comes with owning a restaurant (including some fairly unstable head chefs) just got too much for him so he sold out (apparently at a tidy profit). The new owners changed the name, the look, the menu, etc of the restaurant and it went downhill immediately.

The point I was trying to make is this.... Does his salary get wiped from our books if he is paid out and terminated because of this? Could help us immensely with recruiting another FA and/or making a mega offer to Ryan Burton to keep him at the club for the next 5-7 years.

It would likely depend if he has breeched any clauses in his contract, if so I would say it would be voided and free up cap space for us.

If he was convicted there wouldn't be a payout IMO as there'd be a contract clause voided. Hence no cap hit.

If the HFC choose to f*ck him off (ala Fevola from Brissy) there'd be some type of payout/cap hit.

If he's not in consideration for senior selection and he's becoming a distraction for the club I reckon we'd cut our ties.

I highly doubt he'll play another game for Hawthorn. I'm saying that as someone who before today had not said a single negative thing about Ty in his time at Hawthorn.

I recall a journo saying that very line earlier this year. Two days later he was selected. At the moment everything you're basing your opinion on is pure rumour.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Over 10 years ago, a mate of mine used to own and run a restaurant (a busy one) in Richmond for about 2 years. I reckon it took years off his life. After a stint as an economist (he completed a masters in economics at university) he decided to become a licensed second-hand dealer and now exclusively deals on eBay and the like. Keeps his entrepreneurial spirit going but without the stress of running a restaurant.

The old saying - "How do you become a millionaire? Be a billionaire and open a restaurant".

The fact he's now been charged with a serious crime probably means I've got a better chance than what some random journo said months ago. I fully understand there is a difference between being charged and being convicted of a crime, and I have no inside connections to anyone anywhere with Hawthorn or the Police, I just suspect his time is now done with the club regardless of what happens next. If I'm wrong I'll happily cop it and own it.

But he's NOT been charged.

There are plenty of posts here for defamation lawyers with which to plan their next overseas holidays!

The fact he's now been charged with a serious crime probably means I've got a better chance than what some random journo said months ago. I fully understand there is a difference between being charged and being convicted of a crime, and I have no inside connections to anyone anywhere with Hawthorn or the Police, I just suspect his time is now done with the club regardless of what happens next. If I'm wrong I'll happily cop it and own it.

He's been arrested not charged as yet as far as I've read

Yeah, my mate was hands on in the business which he co-owned with his brothers. He grew up in hospitality so he thought he knew what he was getting into, but having to deal with all the shit that comes with owning a restaurant (including some fairly unstable head chefs) just got too much for him so he sold out (apparently at a tidy profit). The new owners changed the name, the look, the menu, etc of the restaurant and it went downhill immediately.

The only hospitality business I would consider is a tightly run, small/medium scale cafe. Set/basic menu (eliminates the need of a chef), small crew of staff in a high populous/developing area. I have to got to know the guy who owns the cafe about 50 metres from my place, he has 1 in Richmond, 1 in Fitzroy and one in Pascoe Vale, he said the biggest issue is staff. Hospitality is a tough one, plenty of money to be made ( they sell for huge amounts). Anyway a bit off track, but kudos to your mate.

I might be wrong about him being charged, but I haven't defamed him. I'm not sure you understand what that word means. All I've stated is an opinion that he won't play for the Hawthorn football club again regardless of the outcome of this investigation.

It's not just you, its most of this thread.
You cannot assume anything until he actually is charged.

And convicted.

And I do know more about the law than you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back