Player Watch Welcome to Port Adelaide Esava Ratugolea, Finally

Remove this Banner Ad

It's still trade capital we gave away.. points value and shit that could have been used elsewhere.

A pick in the mid 20s I s a good chance of being decent
Just as likely to be a potato it's really not that drastic, what's drastic is never drafting first round defenders so you end up plugging holes with whatever you can trade wise.

Esava back into the 22 this week. It looks like the arse covering selection policy continues. It is as if Hinkley, Davies & co. are saying, 'we traded for this player so he has to play, to do other wise would be to admit we made a mistake in recruiting him'.

Would it be pushing the limit to hope that Ken might do something radical and play Ratugolea up forward ? We will be missing Todd Marshall and Finlayson so Esava's height might be worth a try up forward with the bonus that he will not be getting in the way down back.
I suppose it would be pretty 'radical' to do something that Geelong tried and failed for 7 years, yeah. In the same way that it would be pretty radical to try DBJ in the ruck.

It's not that bad shiteloads of second rounders end up nothing but depth or worse, the late picks are irrelevant garbage picks.
The problem isn't so much the second rounder for Esava, it's the top 10 pick we traded for the two second rounders (and used the other one on another bloke who's also turning out to be a dud).

It feels pointless even discussing coaching for the obvious stale reason, but wouldn't you dumb it down for Esava just take the body and spoil spoil spoil we'll worry about intercept marking & attacking once you nut it down.

I get it's not quite that easy when they guard space more than the old trad one on one, but you could still dumb it down for a player like him until he builds confidence and cohesion with other defenders.

It feels pointless even discussing coaching for the obvious stale reason, but wouldn't you dumb it down for Esava just take the body and spoil spoil spoil we'll worry about intercept marking & attacking once you nut it down.

I get it's not quite that easy when they guard space more than the old trad one on one, but you could still dumb it down for a player like him until he builds confidence and cohesion with other defenders.

He can be a legitimately good contested mark though.. probably a better option up forward than Charlie Dickerson, although that's not saying much

I suppose it would be pretty 'radical' to do something that Geelong tried and failed for 7 years, yeah. In the same way that it would be pretty radical to try DBJ in the ruck.
Have we not given DBJ a run in ruck? Someone get on the blower to Ken.

This was my big concern with Sav. Sure he is still young and relatively inexperienced and hasn’t had that many games as a forward, ruck or defender but if Geelong couldn’t do it, no one can.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely with the spotlight shon on this repeated error he'll learn from his mistakes. It's something that shouldn't be difficult to correct. I think I'm in the minority but I still think he can be handy for us. He's still adapting to our system and to playing as a defender. The problem is his confidence is either too low or too high. Too high and he takes on dumb risky kicks. Too low and he second guesses and is slow to react or does panicked dumb passes. We need him to find the Goldilocks point.

Surely with the spotlight shon on this repeated error he'll learn from his mistakes. It's something that shouldn't be difficult to correct. I think I'm in the minority but I still think he can be handy for us. He's still adapting to our system and to playing as a defender. The problem is his confidence is either too low or too high. Too high and he takes on dumb risky kicks. Too low and he second guesses and is slow to react or does panicked dumb passes. We need him to find the Goldilocks point.
I feel the same. His ability to get to a contest and spoil is very good, but he needs to learn when to go for a contested mark vs when to punch. He also needs ro be taught to take the safe option with the ball every time. That’s either a hand pass to a team mate running by or a long kick up the line. No more switches across goal.

I really don't think he's suited to defence. His disposal is too iffy and he doesn't have great decision making, those turnovers kill us time and time again. Play him up forward where it hurts us less and give him an opportunity to gain some confidence in his game. I think he'd offer more than Lord and Marshall at the moment.
We're not exactly light on for defenders either so to me it makes sense to push him forward and if we need an extra tall down back, fit someone like McKenzie or Burton back in the side when they recover from injury and gain some form in the SANFL.

Esava just needs to be coached.

He has all of the attributes but need to bring himself up to a decent level with the nature of defending and the game.

Really, most of his training sessions should be one on one in the tape room.

Esava just needs to be coached.

He has all of the attributes but need to bring himself up to a decent level with the nature of defending and the game.

Really, most of his training sessions should be one on one in the tape room.
I think you are right, he's a keep it simple stupid type I still have hope.

People way too harsh on Rat.

We did not trade in a finished product. He has in fact been a better player for us than he was last year for Geelong.

We recruited him to stand monsters and to intercept mark not to be the distributor out the backline. This week he earns his keep.

I’d rather him on Curnow/McKay than Bergman or Burton.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Welcome to Port Adelaide Esava Ratugolea, Finally

Remove this Banner Ad

Back