Welcome Welcome to the Hawks Jack Scrimshaw

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL player by player RD10: Each AFL-listed Hawk in review​

Jack Scrimshaw (29 disposals, 6 marks, 5 tackles)

“It was a better game from Scrim this week. He had a job on (Patrick) Voss , their key forward, and he was able to have enough of his own footy as well. He had a really nice balanced game and the pleasing thing was his intensity and energy all day. He didn’t have those lapses where he doesn’t have that intensity in his game. It’s a good step forward for Scrim.”

“It was a better game from Scrim this week. He had a job on (Patrick) Voss , their key forward, and he was able to have enough of his own footy as well. He had a really nice balanced game and the pleasing thing was his intensity and energy all day. He didn’t have those lapses where he doesn’t have that intensity in his game. It’s a good step forward for Scrim.”
I know I am accused of being biased when it comes to Scrimmers but surely 29 disposals and 6 marks whilst playing on the other teams key forward is decent day in the office for a Backman?

I know I am accused of being biased when it comes to Scrimmers but surely 29 disposals and 6 marks whilst playing on the other teams key forward is decent day in the office for a Backman?
He's hit whipping boy status.
He could have 70 touches, kick 20 goals, cure cancer, and still have time to call his mum, but people will find a way to detract from it

he was excellent i thought. maybe not vocal enough? I thought DGB was actually a bit more of a leader back there which was interesting. But Scrim's kicking was mostly very aggressive and on point, and the big thing was his defensive intensity was there. I imagine it isn't a coincidence that the coaches put Scrim as Box Hill's deepest and most important defender. Very good chance to replace Sic

He could have 70 touches, kick 20 goals, cure cancer, and still have time to call his mum, but people will find a way to detract from it
i guess he's a whipping boy for Sam and the HFC match committee too?

Definitely. But look at the last two lines of the review. He didn't have the lapses in intensity and that was considered a step forward for him.

Perhaps knowing that Sicily might be suspended from the day before he saw his opportunity to put in a good showing to be his replacement. Which he should be. I've said it before: At this point of his career we should be talking about Scrimshaw and Sicily in the same breath. He has all the talent, just needs to apply it with that intensity all game to maximise his output.

The first three sentences describe a strong performance from a player too talented to be playing VFL. The fourth sentence explains why he’s found himself there.

I’m reading between the lines and possibly parsing things too closely, but perhaps the knock on scrimmers is his intensity?

I admit I haven’t watched the games he has played at Box Hill but just from reading his stat lines and the coaches comments he looks a class above VFL level (of course we already knew that).

I think his problem is that he has so much talent he appears to be cruising at times but often that’s just the sign of a really good player (think Scott Pendlebury or Paul Roos back in the day).

I admit I haven’t watched the games he has played at Box Hill but just from reading his stat lines and the coaches comments he looks a class above VFL level (of course we already knew that).

I think his problem is that he has so much talent he appears to be cruising at times but often that’s just the sign of a really good player (think Scott Pendlebury or Paul Roos back in the day).
It can also be the sign of a player who is cruising. Pendlebury never got dropped to the VFL and his coaches never gave that criticism of him publicly. They’re not comparable

Yes, he's just Sam Mitchell's whipping boy...

Is it really so hard to believe that a talented player could simply not be doing what is expected of him at the moment???

Really pleased for Scrim that he had such a good game at BH, and I think he gets a chance back in the 1s this week.

As to the whipping boy comments, my thoughts are there were so many posts detailing his failings, as each was a response to a question on why Sam had dropped him… in general, they were balanced and trying to pinpoint a specific issue, rather than just having a go at a player.

Yes, he's just Sam Mitchell's whipping boy...

Is it really so hard to believe that a talented player could simply not be doing what is expected of him at the moment???
There's a difference between a player not doing something to warrant selection, and "fans" who refuse to acknowledge any good attributes that player has.

There's a difference between a player not doing something to warrant selection, and "fans" who refuse to acknowledge any good attributes that player has.
Who is doing this?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Show me one post where people don't acknowledge his attributes?

Everyone knows he is best 22 when he is in form, a fact repeated by Sam. Almost everyone here would want him at his best and playing.

The repeated statements of his areas of concern have only been in response to, as far as I can see, three posters who cannot countenance that there could be any reason for his omission.

He is obviously not in form, with statements from Sam that application is an issue.

That hasn’t happened though. I don’t think anyone would or could suggest he’s not among the more talented players on the list with ball in hand. The fact he has those positive attributes is what makes him so frustrating. The criticism is consistent with what the club has voiced publicly: intent and work ethic.

We will be a better side if Scrimshaw can hit those standards as his ball use is something the side could really use

some of the whinging about scrimshaw being in the side or not (I did it at the start) is over the top considering we are a winning side now.

But what’s more exciting is if the penny drops for scrimshaw and he reaches the levels his talent can sit at, it would be huge, with McCabe coming in we can almost stop worrying about the backline and just focus on the forward half.

Scrimshaw next pre season will go to a new level

I think most supporters here have absolutely zero doubts on Scrims talent. Would be one of our most talented.

I think the same supporters have rightfully called into question Scrims intensity/work ethic.

The fact is while others have risen around him, he's not really improved in the last few years. The guy has the talent to go to the next level but seemingly hasn't taken that next step.

It's not like this is a new question. It's been asked since before he became a Hawk. It's why he came to us so cheap.

Definitely. But look at the last two lines of the review. He didn't have the lapses in intensity and that was considered a step forward for him.

Perhaps knowing that Sicily might be suspended from the day before he saw his opportunity to put in a good showing to be his replacement. Which he should be. I've said it before: At this point of his career we should be talking about Scrimshaw and Sicily in the same breath. He has all the talent, just needs to apply it with that intensity all game to maximise his output.
Hopefully he would have been inspired to put in regardless of the Sicily incident. That's what we need from him - unconditional effort.

Box Hill Coach Zane Littlejohn has reviewed the performances of every AFL listed Hawk following their recent win against the Sandringham Zebras.

Jack Scrimshaw (31 disposals, 1 goal, 13 marks)

"Scrim came back to our group and really led from the front - he finished with 31 disposals, 10 score involvements and hit the scoreboard himself. It's great when you've got a defender who can get up the ground and hit the scoreboard, but also defend the ground really well. We were rapt to have him back in our group and more importantly at how he was able to perform, his attitude towards the whole group was fantastic on the day."

Box Hill Coach Zane Littlejohn has reviewed the performances of every AFL listed Hawk following their recent win against the Sandringham Zebras.

Jack Scrimshaw (31 disposals, 1 goal, 13 marks)

"Scrim came back to our group and really led from the front - he finished with 31 disposals, 10 score involvements and hit the scoreboard himself. It's great when you've got a defender who can get up the ground and hit the scoreboard, but also defend the ground really well. We were rapt to have him back in our group and more importantly at how he was able to perform, his attitude towards the whole group was fantastic on the day."
Too good for VFL.

Just about every time he is dropped he seems to pump out a BOG type performance for Box Hill.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back