Wellingham - Traded to West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Note to Eddie.......This sort of bullfrogging is exactly what David Koch was referring to. Nice that Maguire confirms it for everyone only a few days after having a hisssy fit on radio.

Did you hear it yourself? Sounds doubtful to me..

You plucked out two straight up in Stevens and Luke Ball.

Really? That's a big surprise to me. If it was my club, I wouldn't want them to touch him with anything under pick 25. Certainly nothing in the teens, especially in a draft touted as being a strong one. If WCE are foolish enough to offer it up, I'd jump on it. You should have traded Dawes last year when his currency was premium, don't make the same mistake with Wellingham.

unfortunately there are some eagles fans who would give up 17. you see he played well against us. that translates into 'he must play well against everyone else'.

if ebert was worth 28 then wellingham is below that. for sure. id be pissed if we gave up our first rounder. they are saved for top 10 players at the club at a stretch. wellingham aint.

I must say I think Wellingham probably is worth pick 17, anywhere from about 15-25 would probably get the deal done no worries.

But, Collingwood are in a difficult situation given he has clearly nominated West Coast and knocked back the Melbourne $s.

Collingwood fans have short memories - didnt Tarrant say he wanted to be traded only to Collingwood and threatened with retirement if it didnt happen? So Freo had to give him away (after reviving his career) for nothing.

West Coast probably have the option to bend them over the barrel - seriously, when was the last time a player nominated a club and didnt get there and was then picked up by someone else in the draft? It simply doesnt happen - and I would like it if they did (surprise surprise), but given our track record at the trade table I think Collingwood should be thankful they arent dealing with themselves, or perhaps Ross Lyon / Choco Williams etc.

Welingham i think is worth between 25-35

Maybe the Eagles give pick 17 and their 2nd round and the Pies give Wellingham and their 3rd.

Something along those lines....

unfortunately there are some eagles fans who would give up 17. you see he played well against us. that translates into 'he must play well against everyone else'.

if ebert was worth 28 then wellingham is below that. for sure. id be pissed if we gave up our first rounder. they are saved for top 10 players at the club at a stretch. wellingham aint.
How is Wellingham comparable to Ebert? Ebert was battling to get a game at the Eagles, Wellingham has been easily best 22 for the past 3/4years

How is Ebert comparable to Wellingham?

He was unable to get a gig in a much weaker midfield rotation than Collingwood's. I doubt he would even get a game if he was competing against Swan, Pendlebury, Beams and co.

Not only that, Wellingham has performed on the highest stage multiple times, even got NS votes in a GF and against the same midfield, Ebert was unable to get a game in, he was able to get 23 disposals and kick 3 goals in a finals victory. There is a gulf in the quality between Wellingham and Ebert.

How is Ebert comparable to Wellingham?

He was unable to get a gig in a much weaker midfield rotation than Collingwood's. I doubt he would even get a game if he was competing against Swan, Pendlebury, Beams and co.

Not only that, Wellingham has performed on the highest stage multiple times, even got NS votes in a GF and against the same midfield, Ebert was unable to get a game in, he was able to get 23 disposals and kick 3 goals in a finals victory. There is a gulf in the quality between Wellingham and Ebert.

firstly, comparison is crap. ebert and wellingham arent same sort of players and therefore compete against a different set of players for a game. if wellingham was competing against swan, pendles etc, he wouldnt get a game either. at ours, he will be competing against mcginnity.

secondly, ebert played 20/22 or so games the year he left. he would have played every this year.

thirdly, ebert kicks more goals and more posessions, just about everything more.

fourthly, collingwood obvouilsy dont rate him with the 300k offer and not even top 10 in BF. does not being in top 10 = first rounder? i dont think so girlfriend.

in saying all that, i would pay around pick 30. some discount has to be given for the fact he is out of contract. just like a premium has to be paid for a player thats in contract.

still a good player. just not a first rounder.

You plucked out two straight up in Stevens and Luke Ball.

Really? That's a big surprise to me. If it was my club, I wouldn't want them to touch him with anything under pick 25. Certainly nothing in the teens, especially in a draft touted as being a strong one. If WCE are foolish enough to offer it up, I'd jump on it. You should have traded Dawes last year when his currency was premium, don't make the same mistake with Wellingham.
That would've ended well... with either Maxwell rucking or playing Wood as well as Jolly

fourthly, collingwood obvouilsy dont rate him with the 300k offer and not even top 10 in BF. does not being in top 10 = first rounder? i dont think so girlfriend.

You do realize that for the last 5 years, Geelong could only offer 4 time All Australian Corey Enright, $350 k / year and Joey Corey $300 k / year?

Do you realize that if you finish top 4 year in, year out, make GF's, win multiple finals and win flags, what you get and are offered at such a club isn't reflective of true market value? Collingwood's offer to Wellingham reflects the price you have to pay at such a successful club.

Just as a reference, Dayne Beams is on $350 k / season. On an open market and at a less successful side such as WC, he could get an extra $200 k. He stated that he understands there is a price to pay in regards to your value if you want to remain at such a club. It isn't a reflection of how much that club values you, it is a reflection of the environment you are in.

You aren't very smart are you?

Stevens? Surely you jest! We offered our first round pick PLUS your current B&F winner.. Port said "Didak or nothing". We said "no deal", traded Scotland to you guys for unders, and Stevens walked to you guys in the PSD as well!

I think this is where I stop taking you seriously. Scotland for unders huh? Our "current B&F winner" ... pfft! "First round pick" - by which you mean pick 17 in a shallow draft. Inflationary language like this only makes your argument less reasonable. You offered unders and were rightly knocked back. Fair enough though. You were under no obligation to trade if you didn't want to, but you were keen as mustard to land Stevens at the time.

Ball - I think you blokes got down and dirty on that one, all the way to revised second contracts.

And yes, you got desperate for ruckmen and did pay overs or evens to eventually get one. I don't think anyone has said you're unreasonable at every trade; but that you have a history.

And re Dawes, IMO you should have pawned him off last year. Would have been smart list management. Like Wellingham now, you'll probably never get a better deal for him; and it was obvious to me at the time in my total fear that the Blues were going to be the club paying overs for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

246547.jpg

KurtTippet.jpg

WCE should get better negotiators at trade time.

Oh shit! Carlton used to be shockers at applying this theory.

I would be too. The Pies clearly overrate their man and this is the year his price is at a premium. And perhaps it's part of the reason he wants to move as well, knowing he'll likely squeeze the best contract of his career. Reckon you should pass on him if that's the asking price and instead look elsewhere for answers.

Regardless of WC involvement. A player wants to return home and Cwood are going to make it as hard as possible for him. Explodes any myth about how Cwood treat their players.

firstly, comparison is crap. ebert and wellingham arent same sort of players and therefore compete against a different set of players for a game. if wellingham was competing against swan, pendles etc, he wouldnt get a game either. at ours, he will be competing against mcginnity.
Haha what player do you think Wellingham is exactly?

Why is the president getting involved in trade matters? Perhaps they should also get Joffa involved in the talks as well. It is no wonder some clubs are loathed during trade week/fortnight/month. Most clubs just want to get the thing done with and move on.

So we were expected to completely sacrifice this year? We wanted to try and win a premiership. You can't do that with either Maxwell or Cameron Wood rucking in most games

Firstly, so you think you kept Dawes on the list in order to ruck? Or that it was precognized that say Keefe would be injured. And you speak as though Dawes performances in the ruck, or elsewhere for that matter, this season were actually something good ... he was just a lump sent to get in the way. And why couldn't Reid or Cloke or Goldsack have had a crack.

Nope! Sorry. Not going to change my mind with those arguments. You could have got a first rounder for Dawes easy last year. Nuffie clubs, including my own, were genuinely interested and his price was premium. If Dawes walks out of the club now, you've really cost yourselves on that one.

Regardless of WC involvement. A player wants to return home and Cwood are going to make it as hard as possible for him. Explodes any myth about how Cwood treat their players.
So, what is the evidence for this statement? I'm pretty sure all Eddie said was that we wanted to get decent compensation for Wellingham. What do you expect us to do? Give up Wellingham for a 5th rounder?

Any other president looks out for their own club. BIGFOOTY: Yeah no shit, that's his job he's president.

Eddie looks out for Collingwood (And is one of the best.) BIGFOOTY: Eddie is a sook, huff puff blah blah.

****ing hell mate. Pick one and stick to it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Wellingham - Traded to West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back