Wellingham - Traded to West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

He has played some ripping games of footy, I think he has the ability to be more than he is, he has probably shone a lot more when Collingwood didn't have it's prime midfielders all in, perhaps a lack of opportunity is limiting his impact.

Most players shine in star-studded midfields. He has never been tagged to date. Over-rated.

wellingham wants to go home, but WC is playing hardball and making it as difficult as possible for a suitable trade and transaction.

West coast trying to pay as little as possible in a trade is the same as collingwood trying to get as much as possible. That's what trading is and eventually the clubs will either come to an agreement or walkaway because the price is too high / too low

Making sure you don't get bent over is what supporters of both clubs would expect

I've read this perception about west coast playing hardball with collingwood in trades but have no idea what it is based on. What trades or potential trades have we been difficult to deal with?

I don't really remember many either.. Judd we were never a chance for- Carlton had two high picks and a young WA gun, we would have had to rip apart our list. Morrison was a minnow deal, as was Adkins/Williams.. not really that much history.

His own manager suggested a 2nd/3rd round pick. Who's being difficult?

It's in the managers best interests if the deal gets done as quick as possible, he is more concerned about his outcome rather than the outcome of the CFC. Of course he is going to make a lowball offer.

What is best and a fair deal for the CFC are miles apart from what is best for Wellingham's manager. You aren't really savvy with neogation are you?

West coast trying to pay as little as possible in a trade is the same as collingwood trying to get as much as possible. That's what trading is and eventually the clubs will either come to an agreement or walkaway because the price is too high / too low

Making sure you don't get bent over is what supporters of both clubs would expect
i was responding to Public Enemy No1's post the other way around.

Then why do we have a 10 page thread about Collingwood asking for apparently WAAAY too much? I agree with you though. It's up to individual clubs to try and get the best deal done at the trade table

No mate. The club was happy to move on both those players.

You're right about Port and the Saints though. How did that work out for them?

No they weren't. Davis was much wanted at the pies he wanted to go to the Sydney were he grew up. Can't blame him and by no means did we try and stand in his way. Williams may be different but still was a required player wanted to leave we go nothing for him. So anyone who says we don't trade fairly is either dumb have short memory's or just don't like Collingwood. All Eddie has said is we want fair compensation for him. I don't think Ed said we want Nic Nat or anything like that just what's fair and a second round pick 30 odd is not fair for a 24 year old coming into his prime.

No they weren't. Davis was much wanted at the pies he wanted to go to the Sydney were he grew up. Can't blame him and by no means did we try and stand in his way. Williams may be different but still was a required player wanted to leave we go nothing for him. So anyone who says we don't trade fairly is either dumb have short memory's or just don't like Collingwood. All Eddie has said is we want fair compensation for him. I don't think Ed said we want Nic Nat or anything like that just what's fair and a second round pick 30 odd is not fair for a 24 year old coming into his prime.

Well unfortunately pick 17 isn't fair for WC. He is no Mitch Clarke or Tippet. Players of Wellingham's ability go for second round picks.... That's just how trading has gone in recent years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dawes is much bigger (weighs more) than Goldsack. Why do you think Dawes was only dropped for 1 game despite his terrible form? Because there was nobody else whom could play his position properly

Yes. That's what I said, he's a bigger lump who better negated the opposition ruck. Contrary to what guys like distributor says though, he's not a very good ruck though, just better than your other options (probably why you've gone the Lynch option) ... that doesn't mean though that you have no other option, nor that trading him off last year wouldn't have been a masterstroke in terms of future list management.

Ok here's an idea, Eddie show some dignity and honour for a change and just do a deal with Worsfold to spot you one later. I know Woosh would honour that because that's the man he is. So in the next 5 years if a decent Eagle recruit wants to go home to Victoria like a "Gaff" and Collingwood need that type of player West Coast gets the deal done. Its not like we don't already do that to players just look at Ebert last year..off to club of his choice.

Thats gotta be more classy than ranting on TV/Radio like a moron about demanding this and that, show some bloody class ya dog act. If we don't have anything decent to offer in return this time around no point screwing over a player trying to get back home to play in the team he barracked for as a kid. Or is this what you have become ?

Well unfortunately pick 17 isn't fair for WC. He is no Mitch Clarke or Tippet. Players of Wellingham's ability go for second round picks.... That's just how trading has gone in recent years.

Here's a list of players who have been traded for more than West Coast's second round pick (#38) in recent years

Justin Sherman was traded for an end-of-first-round compensation pick
Richard Tambling was traded for an end-of-first-round compensation pick
Jack Gunston was traded for pick 24 plus slight extras
Brent Renouf was traded for pick 33
Jordan Lisle was traded for pick 29
Cam Wood was traded for pick 14
Jordan McMahon was traded for pick 19
Brock McLean was traded for pick 11
Andrew Lovett was traded for pick 16
Brad Symes was traded from Port to Adelaide for pick 28
Brad Moran was traded for pick 34
Fergus Watts was traded for pick 17
Richard Cole was traded for pick 23
Ted Richards was traded for picks 19 and 50
Nathan Lonie was traded for pick 14
Josh Carr was traded for picks 11, 27 and 43
Paul Johnson was traded for pick 29
Brent Moloney was traded for pick 12
Tyson Stenglein was traded for picks 12 and 28
Jason Gram was traded for pick 23
Peter Street was traded for pick 20
Steven Koops was traded for pick 19
Ben Holland was traded for pick 21
David Haynes was traded for pick 20

Ok here's an idea, Eddie show some dignity and honour for a change and just do a deal with Worsfold to spot you one later. I know Woosh would honour that because that's the man he is. So in the next 5 years if a decent Eagle recruit wants to go home to Victoria like a "Gaff" and Collingwood need that type of player West Coast gets the deal done. Its not like we don't already do that to players just look at Ebert last year..off to club of his choice.

Thats gotta be more classy than ranting on TV/Radio like a moron about demanding this and that, show some bloody class ya dog act. If we don't have anything decent to offer in return this time around no point screwing over a player trying to get back home to play in the team he barracked for as a kid. Or is this what you have become ?
Oh wow. How about you give us Schuey and Natanui and we'll spot you later?

Our first round pick was our first round pick- it's not like we had another to offer. Scotland IS your current B&F winner ...

Yes I know. I never said they weren't, just that you phrased them in the most inflationary way you could. A "first round pick" is ambiguous in defining any concise value. You could have chosen to say pick 17, which would have, but instead chose the other way. Scotland winning a B&F in an injury riddled year nigh on 10 years after he was traded inflates what he was at the relevant time - a fringe player not required by Collingwood. You're usually a fairly reasonable poster, so I think you know what you did, no point discussing it any further.

And re Scotland, it was a good couple of years before he started to put it together at Carlton.

As I've said before, fair enough on the Stevens trade. You weren't under any obligation to trade; he wasn't your player. I know Stevens was annoyed that you courted him but refused to budge on what was an unders offer and Port wanted to make a statement to other players and clubs that it wasn't going to be forced into trades. But at the time Didak seemed like an evens trade and offering that pick and a fringe player wasn't. No point rewriting history now.

That post is half a perspective. A list compromising trades ~17 would put Wellingham to shame.

You're arguing for a second or third round pick trade- at present that's pick 38 or (laughably) pick 56. Pick 17 used to be a second round pick!

The list I compiled was very fair as regards the age and quality (including the contemporary perceptive value) of the players, as well as the compensation received, all within the last 10 years..

That post is half a perspective. A list compromising trades ~17 would put Wellingham to shame.
Here is the list (not including the bargain bin GWS&GC trades GWS made last year to upgrade draft picks)
Jack Gunston for pick 24 +2 later round upgraded picks
Mitch Clarke for pick 12
David Hale and a late 3rd rounder for end of first rounder +4th rounder
Justin Sherman for an end of first rounder
"The Brock" for pick 11
Josh gibson for #25 as well as an upgrade from #69 to #41
Andrew Lovett for pick 16
Robert Warnock for essentially picks 24 and 56

No they weren't. Davis was much wanted at the pies he wanted to go to the Sydney were he grew up. Can't blame him and by no means did we try and stand in his way. Williams may be different but still was a required player wanted to leave we go nothing for him.

Nope. Club happy to see the back of Davis but knew the Swans were getting a talented player and wanted more for him. Williams, wasn't required either, but that doesn't mean he was going to get delisted either.

All Eddie has said is we want fair compensation for him. I don't think Ed said we want Nic Nat or anything like that just what's fair and a second round pick 30 odd is not fair for a 24 year old coming into his prime.

" ... the West Coast Eagles will need to come up with something fairly substantial to get the deal done".

I think Ed tends to inflame these things. Not really a massive statement though.

Lovett & Mclean...?

Remove this Banner Ad

Wellingham - Traded to West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back