West Coast v Carlton semi final

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
as much as i hate to say it i want Carlton to win. I want a Pies vs Blues GF.

This would be absolutely incredible, but I really like West Coast and I think they'll be too good. Would love to see it (CM vs CB GF) while I'm alive though, would be an amazing atmosphere.

Carlton can do it. I don't necessarily think that they will, but they can. If I can just douse my hatred for both sides, it should be a fascinating contest to watch.

Key to winning: Yarran needs stop listening to his own press.

Not worried about Carlton at all, more looking at Geelong the week after. Everytime someone from the top 4 gets beaten and one of the lesser sides win their game convincingly people seem to over-rate that. We finished above Carlton and have been the better team all year, we beat them in Melbourne when nobody thought we could, and we'll beat them again at home. They aren't coming over here and knocking us out of the finals, guaranteed.

I've just copied and pasted this into word for a future sig if we win ;)

Said it all along and still maintain that the Blues are a massive shot over in the West. They are well supported over there and they play Subi better than most interstate sides. Their midfielders love to spread from stoppages and get in space, perfect for the expanses of Subi. All goal kicking mids as well.

They also completely dismantled Essendon's press today, they've got a good system in place. They run wide through the flanks on kick outs like Collingwood, but their small forwards are quicker than ours and once the ball gets over the top they are impossible to stop.

I think they'll struggle with West Coast's tall forwards, but if the can win their share of centre clearances and stoppages they'll go a long way to winning. Eyes will be on Cox and Kerr, if neither get up, I'd be backing the Blues in personally.

Said it all along and still maintain that the Blues are a massive shot over in the West. They are well supported and they play Subi well. Their midfielders love to spread from stoppages and get in space, perfect for the expanses of Subi. All goal kicking mids as well.

They also completely dismantled Essendon's press today, they've got a good system in place. They run wide through the flanks on kick outs like Collingwood, but their small forwards are quicker than ours and once the ball gets over the top they are impossible to stop.

I think they'll struggle with West Coast's tall forwards, but if the can win their share of centre clearances and stoppages they'll go a long way to winning. Eyes will be on Cox and Kerr, if neither get up, I'd be backing the Blues in personally.

How would you the rate the pies chances against them if they were playing next week..

Said it all along and still maintain that the Blues are a massive shot over in the West. They are well supported and they play Subi well. Their midfielders love to spread from stoppages and get in space, perfect for the expanses of Subi. All goal kicking mids as well.

You seem to understand football... whats with the Collingwood alias?????

I agree that West Coast may be tired after going all out, whilst Carlton had a much easier final and were able to put the cue in the rack, but I'm not sure what you're talking about in that second paragraph. Were you actually saying that to me, or was it aimed at other West Coast supporters in this thread? Because I didn't say anything about Carlton.

Wasn't laying into you.. just mentioning to the other Weagles people harping on about 100 tackles... when you play a team that seemed to roll over like Essendon did by half time there was no need for Carlton to lay 100 tackles as the game was over.

Recall during home and away we were consistantly making 70+ tackles a game, teams like Geelong and Collingwood dictate you need to lay lots of tackles to keep in the game against them.

I will tell the Eagles fans that Carlton are more than capable of matching you in the tackle count... our last game V eagles it was Carlton 72 tackles to the Eagles 75.

This game will be played moreso above the shoulders than anything else. Carlton has had a good few weeks to sort out a new gameplan without Jamison and Waite which has made us a better team (eg Henderson down back) and now with Jamison back and looking in good touch (quietened Hurley down), bonus. The Eagles are facing a game with a potentially injured/Hampered Cox and maybe might bring in Kerr who hasn't played for about a Month??

I suspect Carlton may surprise and bring in an in-from Hampson instead of Kreuzer and with Setanta also in some touch will enable us to have another good tall at our disposal. Also it's been a long season so first year players like Darling have been struggling the last few weeks, whereas Carlton had 0 first year players playing today (except for a mature bodied experienced VFL player in Duigan who is a bit of an exception).

Also vs Collingwood, there were 5 Collingwood players with 30+ possessions (one with 40+) with 0 Eagles players gathering 30+.. highest was 24... or Collingwood 11 players with 20+ possession and only 4 in total for the Eagles... seemed the Pies got their hands on the ball quite a bit with all their big game players not being kept in control (Except for Cloke).

As said, it'll be a close game with Eagles slight favourites in my eyes.. but it's not a certain Eagles win... far from it.

Tipping WCE in a come-from-behind victory inspired by a raging Subi crowd, Shuey BOG, lots of fist-pumping-before-siren-O'hAilpin-style stuff :D

A lot will be riding on Cox/Kerr fitness..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dude coming from a West Coast supporter.... Have you seen the was Kennedy runs in for his set shots? Absolute skipping pansy!

dude he has had that run up for most of his 53 odd goals this year, has setanta had the fist pump going before his 11 goals this year..:eek:

You think the fact you beat us at Subiaco Oval last year means you will beat our team this year?

You do realise we travel every second week ALL season (and thus before every home game we have played 2 away games from our last 3) and we have won 9 in a row at home.

You don't travel every 2nd week. Eagles played interstate 10 times in the H&A this year.;)

seeing carlton play subiaco like the did against us i struggle to believe they will get smashed, even against a better opponent this year

If this game was being played at the MCG i'd be tipping Carlton especially if Cox isn't playing. Initially i thought West Coast were going to win their semi-final easy after seeing the Collingwood game but you just never know with Carlton. Also it's only a matter of time before Judd tears a game open and given that he's playing his old team he'll probs lift for it. My heart says Carlton but my head says West Coast so probs West Coast are going to win but hopefully it will be a close match.
Midfield advantage goes to Carlton.
Rucks/throw ins West Coast
Forward line- apples and oranges
Backs- West Coast

How would you the rate the pies chances against them if they were playing next week..

Probably 70-30 where as I think Carlton are about a 40-60 against West Coast. Home ground advantage is a big factor, but the ill-health of Cox and Kerr could negate it.

If your tall forwards play like they did yesterday, I think you'll lose because I believe Carlton's midfield is significantly better than yours. Although I also thought that about our midfield and you guys managed to overcome that quite a lot by ensuring the game was really tight and congested. Frenetic tackling and intense pressure on the ball carrier closed the class gap between the two midfielders yesterday, you'll need to do that again. You can't let Murphy, Simpson and co off the leash, they'll run all over Priddis and the Selwood brothers.

I'll wait to see teams on Thursday before I make a call on this one, I'm right on the fence at the moment.

Check out the results for the past 5 years. Only lost 1 game there in that time if i'm not mistaken.
Well considering how poor both West Coast and Freo have been over the last 4 years or so(barring Freo last year and WCE this year) I would say most teams would have a decent record there.

You were belted by both teams in 07 and since then have had some victories over some bottom 4 clubs. Thats hardly good form.

Dont think we are a shoe-in, but hopeful we will win.

What I do know is that if West Coast play true to this season, then Carlton will not be getting the pressure free ride they were given today. Essendons pressure was virtually nil from the get go today, I know they finished eighth, but you expect more in finals footy.

I find it amusing that the tip everyone thought was a no-brainer pre-match (ie Collingwood to flog West Coast) was actually the closest match of week one of finals.

Not worried about this game at all.I think we will win comfortably.Carlton might play subi ok for a vic team(although im far from convinced about that,freo were besieged by injuries the day carlton beat them,and when they beat us over here 2008-2010,we were a shit team,everyone beat us over here).

Just cant see them beating us.Will struggle with our tall forwards,i think our midfield is as good as theirs,and our backline is better than theirs.Also we play very well at home and will be desperate to not go out in straight sets.

eagles by 5+ goals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back