West Coast vs Carlton Gameday Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Potential indeed - knows how to find space and a clean overhead mark

Just a shame our boys didn't look to him more - got in the clear on a few occasions and completely ignored for a 50/50 contest.

Although it's a nothing match, would liked to have seen a bit more from some of our young recruits, instead of the numerous skill errors and bad decision making on display.

Eddie looks set for a big year. Great passage of play in the center in which he got the better of 3/4 Eagles players, but the umps didn't reward the obvious holding the ball.

I didn't notice mclean actually

Yeah we're not sure if he played, maybe he didn't.

Grigg was good - got a bit of it - but i question his disposal - or perhaps his decision making? Is this normal for him?

Yeah he can be prone to the odd poor kick, we're hoping for a big year, glad he went well.

On other things from the game -

Judd was solid, good run and carry

I think number 36? maybe ROK? I dunno but he had a terrible game unfortunately...

Warnock dissapointed me. Just lacks strength, at one stage he got completed hammered and bowled over in the centre bounce by natanui... He got a few effective kicks but for the money carlton are paying for him he should be showing alot more promise.

Waite - showed great signs, had 2 one on ones with natanui and won them well, if he can stay fit and healthy he will be a star this year

Browne - didnt get much of it, but did try hard. Put a great smother on down the left wing.

Jeffy garlett was good, great intensity and great chasing efforts!

47? The red head? dont know his names but he tried hard, didnt get to much of it, but like the effort. At one stage he tackled someone then ran to the next pack and tackled then went in for a third effort which was good to see.

and... thats all i remember really... except for the annoying eagles supporters cheering for natanui as if hes a 300 game veteran :S getting cheered off the ground etc.

Ranga would be rookie Josh Donaldson. Any of the WA folk want to comment on Kerr's game?

Watched Kerr closely and he is not ready for AFL and looked lost out there on many occasions. In the first half (he was not alone) he would handpass to someone under pressure. He would also handpass these slow and loopy passes.

He only had one or two good passages of player and his defensive pressure was a little lacking at times.

I enjoyed Donaldson's game, he put on some good forward line tackles in the first half and did some good things in the second half. He looks good up forward and may be a decent pick up in years to come.

WEST COAST 3.4 7.6 11.9 16.9 (105)

CARLTON 1.2 2.5 6.7 9.12 (66)
GOALS – WEST COAST: Brown 3; Selwood, Naitanui, Lynch 2; Dalziell, Stevens, McKinley, Rosa, Nicoski, Spangher, Sullivan. CARLTON: Betts, Houlihan 2; Murphy, Browne, Scotland, Lucas, O'hAilpin.
BEST– WEST COAST: A. Selwood, Swift, Waters, Naitanui, McGinnity, Hurn, Strijk. CARLTON: Judd, Scotland, Simpson, Hampson, Browne.
INJURIES: None.
CROWD: 6000 (approx) at Medibank Stadium.

1 Andrew Walker - Probably BOG for us , was in it a fair bit - started in the middle and pretty much played the whole game between the arcs - attacked everything pretty hard , hit betts lace out on the run but also sprayed a shot from in front 15 out - good game from a good player but his inconsistent disposal will continue to frustrate the ferals

3 Marc Murphy - Played half a game - kicked a beautiful goal - with this trademark stop prop wiggle manouver - looks fit - no signs of any OP got through unscathed , Murph is a gun

5 Chris Judd - maybe equal bog for us with walker - everything he touches generally turns to gold - provided some dash from defence at one stage we chipped sideways on kick outs to him and then he would try and run it out - but too many stationery targets meant we turned it over a lot - typical judd game

6 Kade Simpson - flashed in and out - works his ass off generally didnt do a great deal - setup a betts goal with walker running through the middle

10 Richard Hadley - decent game - got around the packs a bit got some ball out - its easy to just not notice him - but will be a goo player for us this year

11 Robert Warnock - i dont understand some of the other negative reports on warnocks game - i think he is going to be a gem - works well around the ground - works well at ground level - won his share of taps

15 Steven Browne - had a purple patch at one stage goes at it hard but still fluffs a lot of his disposal , will remain a fringe player this year i think

16 Shaun Grigg - what a frustrating footballer - uses his body well in congested situations to win the ball - wins plenty of football - but bangs it on the boot too quickly and his kicking at times is woeful - could be special but needs to work on that kicking - he was ok today

17 Setanta O’hAilpin - presented well in the second half - works his ass off - was our best if only leading target today - will be a good forward option this year

19 Eddie Betts - looks mega fit - mega mega fit - typical terrier like game from betts and is pretty good on the lead too - one of our best

22 Shaun Hampson - please please practice marking 20 hours a day - won his share of taps - took a nice mark and hit the post - could be absolutely anything

24 Kane Lucas - showed glimpses - has a turn of pace and has footy smarts - had a pretty good game - nice goal on the run - will play plenty of senior footy this year

26 Joe Anderson - another funny one - was very good early showing dash and drive from defence - but disposal lets him down at times - tried hard early and faded

27 Dennis Armfield - DNP

29 Heath Scotland - one of our smarter players typical scotland game had some good passages of play and a bizzaare one where he just stood and watched the ball bounce through for a goal - could almost see his brain say stop that but his body didnt move

30 Jarrad Waite - the panther returns - had a nervous and subsequently woeful first few minutes that cost us 2 goals but then had a nice spoil and was involved in some nice passages of play - beat naitanui in a contest at half back ran off him then scrubbed the kick - typical waite lol

31 Marcus Davies - i think we have a gem here , bit of mongrel , nice composure and pretty good disposal off half back

33 Ryan Houlihan - kicked 2 goals - looks better forward - didnt do a great deal for most of the game

34 Simon Wiggins - was played on the half back line the majority of the game - looked to take a big knock and was limping - ran it off after that though - pretty much a nothing game

35 Caleb Tiller - looks like such a runt out there - didnt get much of a run - a long way off

36 Rohan Kerr - showed some glimpses - was very nervous and fluffed some disposal but he also showed some dash as he became more comfortable - looks a tad overweight - but could be something

38 Jeff Garlett - i love garlett - does some special things at times , dissapears at others - typical garlett game - should play senior footy at times this year

39 Sam Jacobs - DNP

40 Michael Jamison - solid - spoiled his teammate twice resulting in goals but i think that was because he appeared concious of helping white out - needed to have more faith in white who looked good

41 Levi Casboult - miles off - bullants seconds maybe firsts is where he is at - lump of a lad - didnt get much of a run but was out of his depth i thought

43 Simon White - quiet - unassuming - solid defender - almost another jamo type - could be a good one too

45 Aaron Joseph - DNP ?

46 David Ellard - miles off i reckon too - didnt do much pretty much only remember 2 turnovers

47 Josh Donaldson - tonnes of potential - got a good run - played on the wing mainly - did some nice things - did some comical things - went to ground too often - but was involved a lot - good project player

The game was very scrappy in the 1st half, not helped by a swirling breeze. Scotland's composure showed out in the 1st half.

judd was judd, tex played well and eddie and jeff's pressure in the forward line was good.

A few of the young fellas were very nervous and cautious which caused a few problems, Josh Donaldson looks a find. Levi was very average, didn't look interested to me.

I thought Browney was better then Joey today and if armfield is not right for rd1 i think browney may have a spot in the 22.

Not sure where this Warnock hate is coming from, I thought he and hammer played pretty well. If they got the protection that natanui did from the umpires it would have been nice. Remember warnock is still getting confidence in his body.

Looking throught the programme I noted there were at least 12 missing from our best 22 so not too worried just yet.

Jarrad Waite very quickly showed why he is one of our most important players, slotted straight back into the backline and was the general down back.

Our main downfall today was our skills and handballing too much, we kept running into trouble.

Great crowd at leederville oval today but once again there was massive lines at the bar and food stands.

Personally I thought Judd was fantastic. Walker was also good and Betts was a big threat up forward. Setanta really needs to step up though. He tries hard but the final output was very poor. It just seemed like you guys had no forward structure for most of the game. Just left an open forward line and when you got the ball everyone just streamed forward trying to run onto the ball.

I personally thought Warnock was quite bad, he really should've beaten Sullivan but probably would've shared the spoils and I loved the bit where Naitanui jumped so high it floored him then Naita followed it up by tapping it over a Carlton mids head, ran onto it followed up inside 50 then won a HTB free and slotted a goal. Hammers should easily be selected over him. He had a decent hitout.

Waite is a noticable difference. You had 2 goals up til HT and the run and dash Waite provided out of defence made a big difference in a mini revival in that 3rd quarter. I'm not sure if he would be better served as your main target up forward or down back. But from today's game it seemed someone really needs to step up into that role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont think there is much point on commenting any further on the game - it was a nothing game - really was , both teams had so many first choice players out and it was all about giving fringe players a run

We looked to try two different styles in each half

First half was very much a flood pagans paddock type scenario , we turned the ball over coming out of defence a heap ! too much handball to stationery targets - the plan from kick ins looked to be chip sideways to judd then try and run the ball out with handball and then try and hit a target running back towards goal - we just couldnt stop turning it over coming out of defence though.

Second half we reverted to a more typical setup with hampson and setanta forward with hampson rotating with warnock - setanta was good - we looked better in the second half - we did do some chip chip slow the play down but then looked to get it into the corridor a few times from that - and it worked a couple of times for goals. we also attempted to kick long from kick outs and this worked a touch better - still too many turnovers

overall a very scrappy game in beatiful sunshine with ridiculous wind which miraculously changed direction each qtr to help the eagles, i dont think there is anything to worry about from todays game

murph returned
waite returned
no injuries
some kids got a run
we travelled with a chance to bond as a team

Personally I thought Judd was fantastic. Walker was also good and Betts was a big threat up forward. Setanta really needs to step up though. He tries hard but the final output was very poor. It just seemed like you guys had no forward structure for most of the game. Just left an open forward line and when you got the ball everyone just streamed forward trying to run onto the ball.

I personally thought Warnock was quite bad, he really should've beaten Sullivan but probably would've shared the spoils and I loved the bit where Naitanui jumped so high it floored him then Naita followed it up by tapping it over a Carlton mids head, ran onto it followed up inside 50 then won a HTB free and slotted a goal. Hammers should easily be selected over him. He had a decent hitout.

Waite is a noticable difference. You had 2 goals up til HT and the run and dash Waite provided out of defence made a big difference in a mini revival in that 3rd quarter. I'm not sure if he would be better served as your main target up forward or down back. But from today's game it seemed someone really needs to step up into that role.

We had most of our forward players in Melbourne....

A lot of anti Warnock coming from the west...:confused:

I for one, aren;t too worried of the result, just a hit out, glad to see that Murph' & Waite got through ok, which really is the most important thing, game time for these guys.

Gees we're getting a bagging on Weagles board...go figure??

Did Gibbs not play?

We had most of our forward players in Melbourne....

A lot of anti Warnock coming from the west...:confused:

I for one, aren;t too worried of the result, just a hit out, glad to see that Murph' & Waite got through ok, which really is the most important thing, game time for these guys.

Gees we're getting a bagging on Weagles board...go figure??

Did Gibbs not play?
Trust me it's got nothing with him being a former Docker. He was that bad.

Sullivan is our 4th choice ruck and will be lucky to see an AFL game and there were a few occasions he outplayed Warnock. Im not sure how his injury run has been going but if he's been back and fit for a while a bit of cause for concern. Hampson should definitely get the nod over him, very athletic lad and gets involved a lot. He impressed me. Naitanui and Sullivan shared the ruck duties for us and other than a few real special Naitanui moments he wasn't overly dominant, at least nothing like the Bombers game. I think Hampson did the majority of the ruck duties anyway. I'm not sure if thats a sign of things to come or not, but based on today it should be.

Nope Gibbs did not play. As you said it was just a hitout, it wasn't overly intense either. Fairly relaxed game and the last quarter you guys were just waiting for the siren. Your 3rd quarter had a few good signs, but with both sides having a lot of first teamers out I wouldn't be too concerned. Gee, there was a heap of Carlton supporters at the game though. Good showing by you guys :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

West Coast vs Carlton Gameday Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back