West Coast vs Carlton Gameday Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I am disturbed a bit somewhat with the result of this game, people must be lying to themselves about not caring about a result of a pasting by the Weagles, the week after the Weagles got themselves belted at home by Port Adelaide ...
From what I've seen from Carlton so far this pre-season, I wouldn't be buying finals tickets anytime soon.

Nobody cares about your finals tickets plans, turncoat :)

I am disturbed a bit somewhat with the result of this game, people must be lying to themselves about not caring about a result of a pasting by the Weagles, the week after the Weagles got themselves belted at home by Port Adelaide ...
From what I've seen from Carlton so far this pre-season, I wouldn't be buying finals tickets anytime soon.
I wouldn't be buying finals tickets soon either. Pretty sure they aren't on sale for quite a while.

We had 11 of our starting 22 out.

Of our top 5 players (Judd, Murphy, Gibbs, Kreuzer and Waite), 2 didn't play and 2 played only a half. Waite is tipped to play forward this year but played back because Thornton and Bower were rested. This meant we had Setanta, a rookie and a couple of smalls up forward. Our structure would have been limited or breaking down all over the place.

Geelong got flogged by Richmond when they had half their side out.

You need to learn when to panic and when to find some perspective.

Just regarding pre-season form, if it really is as meaningless as people suggest, how come Geelong and St.Kilda have won the last couple of NAB Cup/pre-season comps, and now it seems again the Saints and the Doggies with Barry Hall have been burning it up ...

What I have gathered from this pre-season comp is that there is now a sizeable gap between the elite sides of this comp (St.Kilda, Doggies etc) and Carlton ...

Might just squeeze in a spot in the lower half of the 8, but what's the point, unless you finish Top 4, you haven't got a snowflake's hope in hell of winning the flag (and I think most of the sane and rational fans here will all concur that Carlton won't be making the top 4 this season)

Just regarding pre-season form, if it really is as meaningless as people suggest, how come Geelong and St.Kilda have won the last couple of NAB Cup/pre-season comps, and now it seems again the Saints and the Doggies with Barry Hall have been burning it up ...

What I have gathered from this pre-season comp is that there is now a sizeable gap between the elite sides of this comp (St.Kilda, Doggies etc) and Carlton ...

Might just squeeze in a spot in the lower half of the 8, but what's the point, unless you finish Top 4, you haven't got a snowflake's hope in hell of winning the flag (and I think most of the sane and rational fans here will all concur that Carlton won't be making the top 4 this season)

Mate... you are saying we might just squeeze a spot in the lower half of the 8? tell us something that we dont already know.

A few years back when we had some guy called Pagan as the coach, we won the pre-season competition... all us supporters we going ballistic thinking that we had finally turned the corner and that we were going to start our march back up to our rightful spot at the top of the ladder winning premierships left right and centre.

Then we won our second wooden spoon.

Then we all realised that the pre-season competition is not an indicator of a teams regular season form.

We are still rebuilding our forward line, but I suspect that someone like you think that the club should be able to slot in a ready to rock forward line and win every thing in sight.

For me, I dont give a shit about our practice matches. They are just there to get some match fitness into the boys and to get them prepared for the coming season. They are also there to slowly bring back players who have been out with long term injuries and to try out the rookies and see what they are like at AFL level.

So today... I think that it was a success for us more than a win for the west coke e-girls. Murphy and Waite made a successful return, albeit for only half a match. The rookies had a good run out and some of the new senior listed recruits had a run.

We know better where we are now than before the start of the pre-season cup matches and the subsequent practice matches.

Round 1 is all that really matters and getting everyone into shape for that match.

Who the hell is expecting Carlton to win the flag? A great result would be top 8 and that's it.

There are a lot of people who are thinking that a top 4 finish is what we should be pushing for based on 'their' expectations.

The more realistic of us supporters on here know that after trading fev for hendo, a great year would see us in 7 or 8 on the ladder at the end of the year.

Interesting since we haven't played them yet :rolleyes:

Please tell me the last time we actually beat St.Kilda ???

Now granted, we've got a great recent record against the Dish Lickers, but damn they look pretty dangerous now they have got Big Bad Bazza ...

Mind you, if he has another brain snap on the field, it could all end in tears for the Doggies :)

Dramoth is totally spot on with regards to honest and realistic supporter expectations for Carlton in 2010 ...

Please tell me the last time we actually beat St.Kilda ???

Who cares, we hadn't beaten the Swans for years either until last year. The point is Carlton have not taken these pre-season games as seriously as you Geelong supporters have. They've used them to experiment new things. If you love the saints or the Dogs so much please, feel free to piss off and barrack for them instead.

Who cares, we hadn't beaten the Swans for years either until last year. The point is Carlton have not taken these pre-season games as seriously as you Geelong supporters have. They've used them to experiment new things. If you love the saints or the Dogs so much please, feel free to piss off and barrack for them instead.

How's life on Fantasy Island going ???

Clearly your another one of those fans with false delusions of grandeur.

TBH if you think me saying St.Kilda is clearly a better team then Carlton (and have been for some considerable time now) is an insult, I think that reflects on your own warped sense of arrogance.

I think if you cannot accept the fact that most sane supporters aren't expecting Carlton to finish top 4 this season, your the one that should piss Off - Straight to Arkham Asylum ... You'd fit right in there with the likes of The Joker and Harley Quinn :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Cows wouldn't say that Larry.

They went all Shane Ellen on our asses.

They were 5th.

I think if you cannot accept the fact that most sane supporters aren't expecting Carlton to finish top 4 this season, your the one that should piss Off - Straight to Arkham Asylum ... You'd fit right in there with the likes of The Joker and Harley Quinn :)

I've never once said we were a top four team you ignoramus. You only have to look at the 22 questions thread to see that, but you'd rather just shoot your drunken mouth off than actually research something. I'd look in your own back yard before directing people to an asylum if I were you.

I can't comment on the Brisbane game as i did not see it.
I thought he did well against Sydney, though.

Well one of us are wrong, but I hazard to guess that we both hope it to be you.
Anyway, I think more of him from what I have seen than you do, but we'll see soon enough.
Warnock will be played come round one and then it's all up to him.

Don't get me wrong, I like Robbie - It's just his leap that left a bit to be desired for me. The other parts of his game I was really happy with, especially in and under for such a huge guy.

cp, seriously take your holiday and leave the board. I am unsure if you understand the word support? If you did you may actually become a decent supporter. You spend your whole life bring up negative post after negative post.

If you were actually at the game, you would have understood that the game was purely a trial game. While there is no doubt you would want to win these such games, the result did not bother me a heap.

Everyone has their own perceptions of the game, but there were a number of positives to come out the game.

AW - He looks like he may be back in town.
Waite - Started slowly, but beat NickNat one on one a couple of times, pity he virtually kicked the dirt in one great play.
Davies - I really like the look of this kid, HUGE and has some nice run and carry.
White - I was impressed with his defensive efforts and will provide some solid cover.
Hampson - Did a very good job against NickNat and crashed the ruck contest nicely.
Donaldson - I was most impressed by his tackling in the forward 50, there was one passage of play were he tackled 3 seperate people.
Judd - His kicking was average in the first half, but after half time he improved a heap and provided some backline run and dash.

The result was not great, but these games are less about the result and more about getting some game time into certain players.

I've never once said we were a top four team you ignoramus. You only have to look at the 22 questions thread to see that, but you'd rather just shoot your drunken mouth off than actually research something. I'd look in your own back yard before directing people to an asylum if I were you.

I can't remember seeing anyone that has actually suggested we are. In fact the only time I have seen the Top 4 mentioned is when c_p is slagging the club off.

I am virtually convinced now that c_p is not a Carlton supporter & in fact has no idea where his loyalties lie (although I sense he is not far from jumping on the Paddlepop Lions' bandwagon). I now personally think the best way to deal with him is to not respond to his posts & then he will eventually give up 'the ghost'.

I can't remember seeing anyone that has actually suggested we are. In fact the only time I have seen the Top 4 mentioned is when c_p is slagging the club off.

I am virtually convinced now that c_p is not a Carlton supporter & in fact has no idea where his loyalties lie (although I sense he is not far from jumping on the Paddlepop Lions' bandwagon). I now personally think the best way to deal with him is to not respond to his posts & then he will eventually give up 'the ghost'.

either the paddlepop's or the aints'

Not going to cry either way if he starts supporting them...

If we sneak into the 8 this year it will be an exceptional yeah, but I'm expecting and 8-11th finish.

I would like to see someone overtake Eddie Betts as out leading goalkicker this year, I am not expecting much and no-one really step up to do it.

It'll be interesting to see how well Ratten will use his brains beyond Judd to manufacture some forward potency, I seriously think Ratten has no creative forward goal kicking plan post Fevola. Will be interesting how Yarran and Garlett evolve.

The first 4 games without Judd will be interesting, and will give us an indicator how the new faces fit into our side, post Fevola.

Think we'll finish anywhere from 6th - 10th, depending in injuries and form. If we lose key players, then we'll struggle. We all know that losing Fevola meant we were likely to take half a step back in 2010, with the view to developing our forwardline around Henderson & co.

I'm about as optimistic about Carlton as anyone, but I really think that anything above top 6 is just out of reach at this stage.

I am virtually convinced now that c_p is not a Carlton supporter & in fact has no idea where his loyalties lie (although I sense he is not far from jumping on the Paddlepop Lions' bandwagon).

I have a mate that supports Freo, but at least I can respect his loyalty. If you call yourself a footy supporter, you stand by your team through the good AND the bad. As far as I'm concerned, switching allegiances is a big no-no

Anyway, back on topic: I think that the Blues will surprise a few people this year, especially once the midfield gets out of the habit of banging it long to full forward. IMO Hendo won't be the superstar some posters seem to expect at full-forward, but he's going to be one bloody good CHF for the next 10 years or so... I've still got a big soft spot for Hendo - look after him OK?

Remove this Banner Ad

West Coast vs Carlton Gameday Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back