2nds West Coast WAFL (part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know which game you were watching but the last quarter was arguably his best.

I like him. Great potential, im just saying he is a little further away than i had hoped.

Still needs to improve his endurence, watching him of the ball he is still caught out in terms of work rate.

Endurance is still a problem. Clearly struggling in the last even with limited game time, can find the ball for an outside midfielder though.

Limited game time? He seemed to be on the ground nearly all game. Ran himself into the ground which is great to see, considering his work ethic was a problem last year. Straight swap for Embley if he doesn't perform tonight.

Im with EH, I noticed a few occasions where he could of worked harder and/or sat away from the contest.

I was hoping that he was told to tag/defend someone more than worry about winning the ball.

In saying that he has improved from last year.

Limited game time? He seemed to be on the ground nearly all game. Ran himself into the ground which is great to see, considering his work ethic was a problem last year. Straight swap for Embley if he doesn't perform tonight.

Id give him game time at the elite level. A taste before the end of the year would set him up for another big preseason.

He sits of contests and for that reason alone id like to see him moving more often, we have plenty of inside midfielders and need guys who will provide run and carry (ala Houlihan and Sheppard). You can end up being a big liability if you are caught flat footed outside a contest.

Id give him game time at the elite level. A taste before the end of the year would set him up for another big preseason.

He sits of contests and for that reason alone id like to see him moving more often, we have plenty of inside midfielders and need guys who will provide run and carry (ala Houlihan and Sheppard). You can end up being a big liability if you are caught flat footed outside a contest.

He hurts other teams and breaks lines. He needs to get fitter but playing fitter blokes who can't hurt the opposition and can't break lines hardly seems the solution.

We as a club wait waaay too long to look at some guys at AFL level. There are plenty of kids playing AFL that are far from elite runners ...

Play him 60% of game time with some through half forward ...

He hurts other teams and breaks lines. He needs to get fitter but playing fitter blokes who can't hurt the opposition and can't break lines hardly seems the solution.

We as a club wait waaay too long to look at some guys at AFL level. There are plenty of kids playing AFL that are far from elite runners ...

Agree wholeheartedly. That's the one area where I reckon Woosha could loosen up a little, although they haven't taken long to slot Sheppard into the team.

On topic, one of the best games that both Smith and Sullivan have played. If I were a forward I think I'd want Smith or Stevenson delivering the ball to me.

Against Melbourne Shaw commentated that even though we were fielding a much younger team we looked physically bigger. Mabye the coaches/fitness guys (for better or worse) want the kids to have some muscle before they start playing.

I'll second that. Just look down the road at the Dockers. How many young window lickers down there have scored a game when they are middle of the road WAFL players? They seem to give a new bloke a game per week.

Cant we just play Smith in the forward line? Need a speedy crumber and we seem to love playing players out of position

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Potentially a dumb question, but in regards to Koby Stevens, would a couple of games at AFL level pose a significant risk of him injuring (re-injuring?) his groin?

Burns has said that because of his groin problems pre-season, that he would be in the WAFL for another 4-5 weeks? Is there that much difference (in terms of likelyhood of injury) between the two levels?

Another factor to consider is that he would probably be playing significantly less time on ground at AFL level.

BTW a journa asked if Stevens would get a game and woosha said something along the lines of "his form certainly warrants it".

So looking good provided he plays well tomorrow.

Any other of the WAFL guys played yet, or has only the one game been played thus far?

3 games tomorrow, all at 2:15pm. Souths v Easts - freo derby (Freo Oval), West Perth v East Perth (Joondalup), Claremont v Subiaco (Claremont Oval)

Potentially a dumb question, but in regards to Koby Stevens, would a couple of games at AFL level pose a significant risk of him injuring (re-injuring?) his groin?

Burns has said that because of his groin problems pre-season, that he would be in the WAFL for another 4-5 weeks? Is there that much difference (in terms of likelyhood of injury) between the two levels?

Another factor to consider is that he would probably be playing significantly less time on ground at AFL level.

I presume he means to get his fitness and stamina to a level required for AFL duties. He can just as easily re-injure the groin problem running and playng in the WAFL.

I wouldn't be surprised if McGinnity or Jones were kept out of Claremont's match.
I just had another look and realised we are playing Sunday, so not as much of an issue. I could've sworn it was a Saturday game...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back