Western Bulldogs Team of 21st Century

Remove this Banner Ad

not sure how some have managed to squeeze Tony into their post-2000 sides tbh

It depends on the definition, are we talking about performances after 2000 or are we talking about players who have played since 2000 but considering their whole career? Tony would easily make the team based on his whole career but he was well in to the twilight in 2000.

And regarding the coach, Eade never took a team beyond the potential of the players, no more than an average coach. Bev last year took a bottom 8 list to the finals. Bev is already clearly our best coach since 2000.

Six teams so far and three have Minson and three have Hudson. That's no surprise. It's pretty 50/50. I included Hudson because he was our number one ruckman when he was at the club, which is also the same time Minson was at the club.
I had Minson but actually in the team but actually like Hudson as a footballer more, just couldnt look passed the aa selection and the long jeopardy of Minson. Interesting no ones picked Ward

His commentary has to be held against him but I'd go Darcy in starting ruck without a doubt.
He won the Leigh Matthews medal in 2002 and was best and fairest in 2001. Minson and Hudson were both good Rickman, but Darcy was clearly a better player than them

I had Minson but actually in the team but actually like Hudson as a footballer more, just couldnt look passed the aa selection and the long jeopardy of Minson. Interesting no ones picked Ward

Longevity. Harsh to criticise Hudson in that department, he unretired twice and was still on a list at about 35

Longevity. Harsh to criticise Hudson in that department, he unretired twice and was still on a list at about 35
The point i was trying to make was that minson has played for the dogs for over a decade where as hudson only played for us for 3-4 years.games played at other clubs are irrelevant considering its the western bulldogs team of the 21st century

FB L.GILBEE B.LAKE D.MORRIS

HB R.MURPHY* (vc) C.GRANT R.HARGRAVE

C R.SMITH S.WEST N.EAGLETON

HF N.BROWN J.STRINGER* D.GIANSIRACUSA

FF B.JOHNSON (c) L.DARCY J.AKERMANIS

RR W.MINSON* *A.COONEY R.GRIFFEN

INT M.BOYD* TON.LIBERATORE E.WOOD* M.HAHN

COACH: RODNEY EADE

Thats how id line things up, thought you had to many midfielders in there

Seeing we have 22 premiership players I thought i'd make a few changes

FB E.WOOD B.LAKE D.MORRIS

HB R.MURPHY (vc) C.GRANT J.JOHANNISEN

C R.SMITH S.WEST A.COONEY

HF N.BROWN J.STRINGER T.DICKSON

FF B.JOHNSON (c) L.DARCY J.AKERMANIS

RR B.HUDSON M.BONTEMPELLI J.MACRAE

INT M.BOYD TOM.LIBERATORE L.DAHLHAUSE R.GRIFFEN

COACH: LUKE BEVERAGE

INS:J.JOHANNISEN M.BONTEMPELLI J.MACRAE T.DICKSON TOM.LIBERATORE L.DAHLHAUSE B.HUDSON LUKE BEVERAGE

NOTE;
*I have based my team on the one i'd want to line up in todays football

*Don't know why I had Will over Huddo to begin with, Ben Hudson was a favourite of mine

Unlucky absentees:
Tony Libretore- Brownlow medalist
Will Minson- AA 2013
Lindsy Gilbee- AA 2006
Barry Hall- AA 2010 (Min 50 games to make the team)
Ryan Hargrave- AA squad of 40 2009
Daniel Cross- BnF
Nathan Eagleton
Mitch Hahn
Liam Picken
Jarrad Harbrow
Callan Ward

Last edited:
FB: D. Morris B.Lake M.Boyd
HB: L.Gilbee C.Grant R. Murphy (C)
C: D.Cross A.Cooney Tom. Liberatore
HF: Ro.Smith B.Johnson (VC) L.Picken
FF: T.Dickson L.Darcy L.Dahlhaus
Rucks: W. Minson S.West M.Bontempelli
Int: E. Wood B.Hudson J.Stringer J.Johannison
Coach: L.Beverage (Is there any question?)

I don't think there's any question this side will change greatly in 5 years time... Roughead likely to be the ruckman, T.Boyd likely to push Darcy to the bench, If Adams stays loyal and continues his form could push Grant to the bench, Macrae could replace Rohan smith, Wallis could replace Cross! So many possibilities if our success continues with our current great side.
Gia > Dickson.

Only mentioning it cause you replaced Gia from your original team with Dickson.
Dickson over Gia anyday... Dickson doesn't choke in prelims and performed in a winning grand final.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Darcy>Hudson
And it's a push between Darcy and Minson
I think Darcy has been our best ruckman in the 2000's however we don't really have a full forward that has been decent to play over 50 games in the 2000s unless grant swings forward and play another defender. So I just put Darcy there to play another ruck.
I think Hudson was a much better footballer than Minson, Hudson was consistently good for 4-5 year period in a reasonable successful team. Minson didn't cement a spot in the team untill McCartney was coach in a average line up and he didn't do a whole lot other than contest tapoits where as Hudson would follow up his ruck work and fight tooth and nail for the pill

Gia > Dickson.

Only mentioning it cause you replaced Gia from your original team with Dickson.
yeah missed that mate, I think that's a tight one, although gia is probably more talented, I have Dickson ahead
I think Dicksons workrate and desire is greater than gias despite what a lot of others think about Dickson. Also Dickson has been a pressure player kicking goals in finals

Darcy>Hudson
And it's a push between Darcy and Minson
Darcy definitely played 5 excellent years of footy for us from 2000-04 (won 2001 AFL MVP also IIRC), then unfortunately his knee went in 05 and wasn't the same.

Purely from overall output from 2000 onwards as the thread says (I feel Darcy only played a few good years in the early 00s and Grant similar). Many will change in next few years. Here goes...

M.Boyd, B.Lake, E.Wood
L.Gilbee, D.Morris, R.Murphy (VC)
R.Griffen, S.West, D.Cross
L.Picken, J.Stringer, L.Dahlhaus
T.Dickson, B.Johnson(C), D.Giansiracusa
W.Minson, M.Bontempelli, A.Cooney

IC: Ro.Smith, J.Macrae, N.Eagleton, T.Liberatore

It's easy to be blinded by the recent success but we can't ignore that we had a really good side from 06-10. Looking forward to JJ, T.Boyd, Roughy, CD and a few others putting their hands up in the coming years

Purely from overall output from 2000 onwards as the thread says (I feel Darcy only played a few good years in the early 00s and Grant similar). Many will change in next few years. Here goes...

M.Boyd, B.Lake, E.Wood
L.Gilbee, D.Morris, R.Murphy (VC)
R.Griffen, S.West, D.Cross
L.Picken, J.Stringer, L.Dahlhaus
T.Dickson, B.Johnson(C), D.Giansiracusa
W.Minson, M.Bontempelli, A.Cooney

IC: Ro.Smith, J.Macrae, N.Eagleton, T.Liberatore

It's easy to be blinded by the recent success but we can't ignore that we had a really good side from 06-10. Looking forward to JJ, T.Boyd, Roughy, CD and a few others putting their hands up in the coming years
Not bad, although we would be crazy to actually go into a game with only one ruckman.

BA: Wood, Lake, M. Boyd
HB: R. Smith, Morris, Murphy
CE: Cross, West, Griffen
HF: Cooney, C. Grant, Dahlhaus
FO: N. Brown, Johnson, Giansiracusa
RU: Darcy, Bontempelli, Liberatore
INT: B. Hudson, Gilbee, Stringer, Macrae

Lot of love for Nath Brown on this thread? He only played from 00-03 for us, surely nowhere near enough time to warrant a selection. Or are we just picking the most talented side from this century?

Lot of love for Nath Brown on this thread? He only played from 00-03 for us, surely nowhere near enough time to warrant a selection. Or are we just picking the most talented side from this century?
Bont has only played three seasons. Does that mean he should be excluded?

I'd say Nathan brown has been a better player over his 4 seasons than what stringer has been over his 4. Brown was an absolute star, he would've kicked 50 plus in all of them, and he'd of spent time in the middle

Who does everyone think the best dog of the 21st centurary is? My top 10 would go:
1-Johnson
2-west
3-Morris
4-Boyd
5-lake (imo 2nd best player in the comp behind gaj circa 2010)
6-griffin
7-Bont
8-darcy (people forget how good this guy was early 2000s)
9-Murphy
10-Cooney

Bont has only played three seasons. Does that mean he should be excluded?
Bont's three years are far superior to Nat Browns ffs. The bloke won our B&F in our second ever premiership season, AA in 2016 and finished runners up in the rising star award.
It's not even a comparison, unbelievable the love for Nathan Brown.

West has to be #1 for me. He should of won two Brownlow's.

West
Johnson

Daylight

Everyone else.

Best year I've seen from a dogs player was Brian Lake in 2010. He would mark everything.

Remove this Banner Ad

Western Bulldogs Team of 21st Century

Remove this Banner Ad

Back