Preview Western Bulldogs vs Essendon, Docklands, Sunday 08/04/18 @ 3:20 PM

Chicken Dinner?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

There’s no way Green will get dropped, he was our best forward last week. He’s a fair way ahead of Begley.

Langford and Myers have been competing for one spot for over a year and this bench says that’s not changing imo.

Fanta for Begley
Myers for Langford
Hartley / Bags why’re probably weighing up to see who the Dogs play, but with Brown def in I can see them dropping Hartley.
Green not named in the VFL side suggests this. They seem likely to play Boyd I think, which would suggest Hartley. Given Baguley didn't play VFL last week I'd suggest they'll name Hartley to guarantee Baguley a game either way.

Another thought... is it reasonable to play e.g. Goddard in defence and play both Myers and Langford in the same team? :think:
I always figured we'd play Goddard in the loose half back role like we did with James Kelly this year, but we seem to be playing him on ball.

Yeah nah, I'd say you're being pretty reasonable.

No reason for Bellchambers not destroying this game, English isn’t ready yet and Boyd and Redpath Shouldnt be able to beat him either. Us losing the clearances will either look extremely poor for Bellcho or extremely poor for our midfield
They thrashed last time in clearances. They were very hard at the ball Sydney style. They are used to roving off the other teams ruck. Wallis coming back in is s big plus for them.

Seeing Johannisen on the forward line is a worry. He was BOG from there last time. He continually found space. Hope we learnt from last time.

Bulldogs will be copping a lot of flack this week. I hope our players don't get sucked in. We need to be bringing 100% intensity every week. We aren't nearly good enough to do otherwise.

Hope they don't drop Begley. Should be Green out if they bring Fantasia back in. Fantasia is just a vastly better version of Green. Begley is more the medium sized option that can take a good mark and can add to our midfield rotations.

Begley kicks goals every single game and rarely wastes a shot at goal and is very selfless. Plus his scope for improvement means he is vastly more important to our next premiership chance than Green. We need to be getting games into him now. Green is like last years Howlett, Bird, Stanton, Hocking.

I'm more torn on Langford. He was good in round 1 but was quiet in round 2. Myers would probably help more and would be a decent matchup for Bont around the clearances, that's if he's fit.

Call me mad but I like the idea of Hurley out strictly from the perspective of trying to drag Hartley kicking and screaming into being the player he should be. It would be a good old fashioned throwing into the deep end. There would be no time to think, just to play the ball.

Another thought... is it reasonable to play e.g. Goddard in defence and play both Myers and Langford in the same team? :think:

edit: We also appear to be focusing on intensity training this week? (Or the twitter account is anyway.)

Definitely keen to see Goddard go back - think his surety overhead and distribution would really settle the defence.

I assumed this would happen when Gleeson went out, I was wrong.

Still not sold on Langers even if this happens though. Just don't see a spot for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Call me mad but I like the idea of Hurley out strictly from the perspective of trying to drag Hartley kicking and screaming into being the player he should be. It would be a good old fashioned throwing into the deep end. There would be no time to think, just to play the ball.

You’re mad

I'll be frustrated if Begley is dropped so that we can keep Green in the team. The latter has been solid in the first two rounds but has little future at AFL level. Playing Begley is more beneficial to the medium and long-term success of the team. Playing an experienced but poor footballer and sending a good young player to the VFL is a very Essendon thing to do though.

I'll be frustrated if Begley is dropped so that we can keep Green in the team. The latter has been solid in the first two rounds but has little future at AFL level. Playing Begley is more beneficial to the medium and long-term success of the team. Playing an experienced but poor footballer and sending a good young player to the VFL is a very Essendon thing to do though.

One thing to remember, and that Worsfold reiterated when he re-signed, is we’re going for the now. They clearly see themselves as not far off and are simply trying to win every game.

It’s instructive when it comes to Langford as well. We’re simply picking our best team every week.

One thing to remember, and that Worsfold reiterated when he re-signed, is we’re going for the now. They clearly see themselves as not far off and are simply trying to win every game.

It’s instructive when it comes to Langford as well. We’re simply picking our best team every week.

My counter to that is that Begley could very well surpass Green before the end of the season and sending him back to the VFL could undermine his recent progress. Begley has averaged 11.5 touches and 1.5 goals in his two games this season - the coaching staff should be trying to build on that while his confidence is high. Green should really be insurance for an injury to a Fantasia or Walla rather than a entrenched member of the best-22.

My counter to that is that Begley could very well surpass Green before the end of the season and sending him back to the VFL could undermine his recent progress. Begley has averaged 11.5 touches and 1.5 goals in his two games this season - the coaching staff should be trying to build on that while his confidence is high. Green should really be insurance for an injury to a Fantasia or Walla rather than a entrenched member of the best-22.

i agree with this, mainly because it's a forward pocket

If you’re trying to win games there is no logical way whatsoever you could drop Green for Begley at the moment.

If you’re trying to win games there is no logical way whatsoever you could drop Green for Begley at the moment.

Green has been marginally better than Begley. The thing is Begley is a 2nd year player that has played less than 10 games. He's probably only going to keep getting better if we keep playing him. Plus Begley gives us another marking target and 1 less defensive marking weakness, as well as an additional choice for midfield rotation (particularly useful with Smith and Stringer in the team).

Green's production is probably going to decrease with Fantasia in anyway. Fantasia is the go to small forward. Begley is more useful as support cast because of his versatility and he can impact even from fewer touches because of his super reliable kicking.

Green's a better crumber but that's what we've got Fantasia and Tippa for. You don't need 3 small forwards. You can work with 3 small forwards if you must but you're much better off if they are marking threats as well. Fantasia is, Begley is. Tippa isn't and Green isn't.

Begley didn't look very confident when he continuously handpassed and kicked directly the opposition against Freo when the game was there to be won. But he wasn't alone. He has great potential though... just needs a consistent 4 quarter effort.. 1.5 quarters is not good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back